BFS Retail & Commercial

Be The First To
Add Photos

Matt Hoskins

Entry Level to Mid-Senior Management in short time making over six figures

District Sales Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at BFS Retail & Commercial full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPay by Performance, Global Organization with Recognized Brand, and Unlimited Opportunities.

ConsLimited Access to Promotional Opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow Store teammates access to promotional opportunities company wide.

A reputable organization implementing new and updated approaches to the retail sales industry.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Hayward, CA

I have been working at BFS Retail & Commercial full-time for less than a year

ProsAggressively looking for quality and dynamic candidates to fill positions.

ConsPossibly a more structured approach toward specific and new management candidates.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

store manager

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at BFS Retail & Commercial full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDistrict manager is a good guy to work for.

Consexpect managers to work long hours and 6 days work weeks if behind in sale or other things there following.Will make you cut hourly employees hours when business is slow around holidays times when familys need it the most. Not what it used to be

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you have a proven dedicated employee and you let him go for 1 technicality after 10 plus year isn't right just shows you are nothing but a number to employer??

The good and the bad

Management Trainee (Former Employee)

I worked at BFS Retail & Commercial full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat 401K match for manager trainee (not sure if they still have it). Knowledge base is available online (though a bit outdated). Training is pretty comprehensive.

ConsThe company has had a number of class action lawsuits that settled. The treatment of employees and the state of their facilities need to adopt cleanliness. Difficult to move past anything aside from the brick and mortar side of business. There is a need for humble district managers. Loyalty and general treatment of employees is not great. Moral among technicians is low because they are generally treated as a number and not an employee. Management pinches pennies at the cost of losing some genuinely good people. Typical large company mentality where all pressure is on sales and district operations decisions have poor/top-down communication with cell locations. Often understaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementClarify and regiment your performance analysis reviews. Make it clear how your hard working and amitious employees can advance and follow through. Make your store numbers (revenue versus overhead) abundantly transparent. Make your knowledge base and training available to all technicians so the drive forward is motivated by merit and not politics or favoring. Don't be so shady about medical benefits. Invest in your people and commit to retention...Your calculated allowed turnover may satisfy your spreadsheet evaluations but you are forgetting that your people and your customers are your greatest assets. You need to commit more to retention and service and less to politics and closed-door policies. Care more. Reduce lawsuits. Stop under-staffing at the store level.

Store Manager

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at BFS Retail & Commercial full-time for more than a year

ProsStill a company that cares about their largest asset (its employees)

ConsWork 60+ hours a week

opportunity to move forward

Management Trainee (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at BFS Retail & Commercial

Proslearn on the job atmosphere

Conshard to move up quickly

BFS Retail Operations review for the Charlotte District and South East Zone.

Service Manager (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I have been working at BFS Retail & Commercial

ProsBFS Retail is a large company with many advancement opportunities. Everyone must work in retail operations prior to advancing into higher level positions, which gives a level starting playing field.

ConsAs with all large corporations advancement is not based on acheivement and work ethic you are faced with the politics found in most companies of this size.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think once you are promoted to District Manager you should be forced to change districts, as this would limit the amount of political influence in decision making. Our jobs are hard enough, watching people of lower qualifications get promoted ahead of you because they are alumni of the same university as the DM, is enough to make you look else were for employement.

Not a bad place to work, if you have a passion for the auto repair industry.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Buffalo, NY

I worked at BFS Retail & Commercial

ProsGreat training, nice co workers, fair compensation.

ConsStores are more focused about hitting numbers than serving their customers, no commission even though your sales are used for evaluation purposes, sometimes co workers will steal your sales by changing the name in the POS.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevert back to the core of the business, and focus on all of the companies stakeholders.

Hard work and dedication MAY get you far...

Assistant District Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at BFS Retail & Commercial full-time for more than 8 years

ProsDecent salary and travel opportunities.

ConsLong hours and days with little recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore team building and excitement need to return to this company.

Bartender

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BFS Retail & Commercial

ProsIt is a good company to work for but at the same time we do not get the respect that we should.

ConsManagement was a bit off the charts. They never provided the employees with the proper respect that we deserved as employees.

Worked for BFS Retail & Commercial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BFS Retail & Commercial reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BFS Retail & Commercial CEO Matt Hoskins . All 14 reviews posted anonymously by BFS Retail & Commercial employees.