BG Group

www.bg-group.com

BG Group Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Andrew Gould

Pros
  • Good Work Life balance and generally treats employees with respect(in 4 reviews)

• Company offers good growth prospect - although it is a function of home asset(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance depends on your management chain(in 3 reviews)

• Leadership, politics, a dire HR department and limited development opportunities(in 3 reviews)

I loved the diversity of people I worked with.

Personal Assistant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsMeet different people
    Learn different cultures
    Great community service outreach
    Committed to non-profit organizations

ConsLack of communication amongst the upper level management
    No accountability the higher up you move in the company

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the problem children you have in upper management before you lose more valuable and talented people

Decent place to work

Technical Group (Former Employee)

ProsAs with most companies there are the good and bad managers. I'd say BG Group as plenty of both. They do emulate larger companies and really try to develop better employees.

ConsVery strange office politics and it takes a while to get used to the British business culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead from the front.

The company is great, but the management is not far-seeing.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe benefits were great. The co-workers were great.

ConsThere's hardly ever promotional potential existing in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo promote people from within.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Many changes within own team / senior management resulting in lack of maturity in organisation

Assurance (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe management tries to emulate other larger peers, with salary at higher end, however lacks gravitas

ConsVery Brit, with rife politics and not that transparent

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce silos and complexity that is not necessary.

Good company overall

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat pay and benefits and opportunities for international assignments

ConsDowntown commute is difficult for suburbanites with families

Used and abused

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThey have structure to most of their processes and functioning systems which is nice.

ConsThe leadership is very immature and the atmosphere is similar to high school. If you are in the "in-crowd" and brown-nose your way to the top (despite having any real skills) you will be promoted in your career with BG Group. If you over achieve in your role but do not play the political game, you will never go anywhere! Also, the skill-lacking, golden children who are promoted, are given manager positions with employees reporting to them and have no idea how to manage. SCARY! In addition, I witnessed first hand how salary increases are based on how much the snobby compensation team likes you. They are not based on merit or accomplishments.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain managers how to be successful leaders. People obtain jobs to work and take pride in their career, not how to stroke egos and become a teachers pet.

Working for a british company

ProsGood community, great work life balance

ConsOlder workforce very political environment

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize and reward talent

I have been working for more than a year.

Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood global exposure and highly valued work experience. Big company.. job stability along with a range of areas available for work.

ConsA bit of rigidity in processes and hierarchical system in various places. MIght be good if more liberty could be there to make the processes more efficient.

Much rapid-pace integrated multidisciplinary E&P application experience in short time

Contractor Consultant Subsurface Data Coordinator (New Role) (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsExcellent world-class Intntl industry professional interface w REs, Petrophysicists, Geophysicists, New Venture Leads/Directors...proud to represent

ConsPoor immature lacking leadership and direction of most capable assets...first performed too fast work, than too slow...poor leadership commo fr mgmt. Had me doing too many non-core functions trying to please innumerable stakeholders. Role unbounded and somewhat capriciously ambiguous as misinterpreted loyal dedicated zeal not appreciated. Am not a guinea pig nor a colonist.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep mature, loyal professionals that show up and do exceptional quality work beyond expectations, esp. veterans.

Got big, now a poorly run company

Contractor (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsOnly pros of working in IT here are if you are with a big consulting company that gets the huge contracts. Otherwise, you will eventually be thrown to the wayside

ConsToo many IT org changes, and too many people at the top who don't understand IT

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a CIO who knows how IT actually works and is willing to pay for better service and products

Worked for BG Group? Contribute to the Community!