BGL Group Reviews in Peterborough, England

Matthew Donaldson

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazingly charitable!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at BGL Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The CSR work.
    Office facilities.
    Culture of enjoying the workplace.
    Events.

Cons

Expectations not always based on performance.
    Cultural can be overly corporate.
    Lack of flexibility of senior management.

Greater flexibility needed with the culture to prevent it from becoming staid. There should be greater focus on day to day performance and effort - too often self-publication prevails.

Political nightmare - hell amongst the idiots of business climbers

Former Employee - Educated Monkey  in  Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Educated Monkey in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at BGL Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

When I first joined I was impressed by the facilities, attitude and prior success of this once little business

Cons

More than half of the senior management are incompetent, under-qualified and inexperienced. More than anywhere I have ever worked it is possible to attend 35 hours of meetings and do no work!

BGL were once a dynamic player - now a dinosaur in double quick time - run by good people with no idea

A waste of a year of my life

Former Employee - Universal Advisor  in  Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Universal Advisor in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at BGL Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

pay is more than minimum wage, free coffee

Cons

Very poor management, no consideration for staff welfare, poor IT systems, nasty rude customers

I have worked at a lot of different companies, I worked for Barclays Investment Management for roughly 8 years in which time I progressed from a data entry to a role created specifically for me in MI and Data Analysis, Never have my skills been so completely wasted and overlooked as they were in this place, When I tried to make people aware of issues (for instance, when policies were renewing at a price other than what had been indicated to the client in writing) I was told to 'stop whinging', Other times customers would try to play the victim because they didn't get their own way and this led to numerous pointless meetings and disciplinary processes that ultimately made me ill because I KNEW that I did no wrong, I made every effort to provide an exemplary service and ultimately I was always treated as being in the wrong until the very last possible moment at which point then it is all ignored and glossed over and some new drama starts. I am not exaggerating when I say this job made me ill, I was advised by a Doctor to find a new job, I did and now I have never felt better, even though I get paid half as much money I now feel valued and appreciated and my skills are utilised, I would never recommend anyone ever go anywhere near bgl to either work or as a customer, I wouldn't go back there if you paid me £50k, their priorities are totally backwards, management of the building seemed to spend more time on making sure everyone was brainwashed into believing 'BGL is a fun place to work!!' rather than actually streamlining operations and ensuring consistency of service so the job is actually doable, management are clueless about what it's like on the phone, IT just seemed to stuff more and more pointless boxes onto the screen until they interfere with each other (like when they added a contact history that stopped the pass through of client details from the dpa screen, meaning you now have to type the policy number manually every time but your calls are marked as if you now have two utilities to make it quicker) ... calls are marked on stupid metrics that are at odds to each other (ie csat vs call time) I could go on and on but to be perfectly honest, you don't even deserve the time I've spent typing this up, It's only because I'd quite like a free ipad and this is a chance to have a rant.
    Everyone that works there thinks it sucks, the only reason they don't say that is because they're made to feel fearful of their jobs every day, a pathetic sham of a company that the thought of my time with leaves a seriously unpleasant feeling.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company the genuinely cares for its staff

I have been working at BGL Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is good but even more importantly, they provide many fringe benefits that you cannot put a value on; Subsidised food in the on-site facilities, daily shuttle bus services to and from Peterborough train station and Hamptons shopping centre, BGL Instants that encourage staff to reward each other, subsidised (properly subsidised) mordern gym. There are also many opportunities for advancement across the whole group. BGL management listens to their staff and provide many avenues for views to be expressed.

Cons

Different, and sometimes incompatible, cultures and ways of doing the same thing in the different business units.

Overall a decent company to work for, with some perks, a reasonable employer for those in the Peterborough area.

Current Employee - Programmer  in  Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Programmer in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at BGL Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent quality canteen with subsidised food, free fruit and cheap coffee. There is a gym at their Peterborough site. They do alot for charity fund raising, though perhaps a little too much emphasis on this at times. Pay is ok, you'll probably get an inflationary rise each year and a bonus if you are lucky (up to maximum 10%). They have a big summer ball (every 2 years) and annual fun days. Overall quite a pleasant place to work despite being located on an industrial estate. Core hours are 8.30am - 5pm (37.5 hours). The people that work at BGL are on the whole are a really nice bunch.

Cons

They are generally quite resistant to any kind of flexi or home working and are slightly old fashioned about dress code (ties must be worn for men) but at least there is a weekly dress down on a Friday. Leadership is ok but your work experience can vary alot depending on which business unit you work in. They like to make sure they know what you are doing at all times, regularly need to update them - it's a bit of distrust I feel in their employees. Seems quite a few people have left of late, empty desks dotted around the place. Latest bonus targets have been set way too high which just acts as a big disincentive though they are reviewing that now. Some people love the place (and stay a long time), others leave pretty quick. They put emphasis on corporate values but there never seems like many promotion opportunities unless you are prepared to move around within the Group.

Stop being so obsessed with what your employees are doing and build more trust. Be a bit more flexible with dress code and a little less obsessed with profit, time management and cutting costs. Sadly like all companies that start to make a decent profit they have gone down this road a little too much in my opinion. More transparency is required too from senior management down and consider investing more in training for employees to create goodwill from them in return.

Tale of 2 Halfs

Current Employee - Information Technology  in  Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at BGL Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Brands
    Great Facilities / Gym
    Great Benefits / Events / Group Comms
    Great on the CV

Cons

Suffering from growing pains, lots of Politics between Business Units and the Group Functions
    Sections of Senior Management just don't know how to manage people and get the best out of them
    Frightened that their staff will progress ahead of them, rather than buying into that and developing great people
    Leaking good/great people quickly (who are taking all of the company knowledge with them, not easy to replace)
    Lots of Redundancies / Compromise Agreements go on in the background that don't get out!

Deal with the Cons, recognise the members of the Senior Management Team that can't cope, and are out of their depth!

A fun place to work

I have been working at BGL Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good employee benefits such as prize draw, free health checks, private healthcare. Some very talented individuals working within the organisation

Cons

Senior management tend to form cliques, bonus system is inconsistent and doesn't recognise the various I.T group and support functions

Recognise individuals who go above and beyond their day job - there are many unsung heros within BGL.... Root out the blaggers and self-promoters who can talk the talk but deliver little actual value.

This is one of the areas big employers, it's a fair place, a bit old school but if you fit with the culture you'll be ok

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at BGL Group

Pros

The company has a Supportive culture
    Smart people do get on at BGL
    Good benefits
    Able to move across divisions

Cons

Old school - the guys have to wear ties to work! A paternalistic culture, but if you don't mind that it's fine, if you do mind, don't join!

Significant room for improvement

Former Employee - Marketing Executive  in  Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing Executive in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at BGL Group

Pros

Fairly flexible about providing time off - Good office environment - Well recognised employer in Peterborough - Well located

Cons

Not an employer who attracts the best senior management - Remuneration packages not as competitive as similar sized/located employers - Promotion system very dubious (i.e. rewarding long serving employees rather than the most able - system not necessarily designed to advance the best and brightest) - Excessively lumbering and bureaucratic HR Department - Recruitment process is appalling and long-winded with complete lack of communication and feedback

Make significant improvements to recruitment process by actually providing candidates with updates and feedback - Improve humility of senior management to reduce the highly negative effect of the "them" and "us" culture (i.e. start by doing away with the grossly arrogant "Exec Suite" to which only Directors have access - if global blue chip companies can survive without this ridiculous 80s throwback, then a privately owned insurance company based in Peterborough certainly can!)

A good place to work

Former Employee - ECommerce Executive  in  Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - ECommerce Executive in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at BGL Group

Pros

BGL has a great sense of camraderie and some great littel perks, such as an on site costa coffee and an excellant canteen serving great food all day long. They also know how to through a great employee bash.

Cons

It's definitely a love it or hate it kind of a place, and the management aren't very good at conducting or following up on reviews. There's also a lot of red tape, and old fashioned attitudes, but then I think that's par for the course with them being an insurance company.

Take the review process more seriouslly, look at what staff need and how you can help them get there.

Worked for BGL Group? Contribute to the Community!