BGL Group

Updated December 8, 2014

BGL Group CEO Matthew Donaldson
Matthew Donaldson

Graduate

Current Employee - Graduate in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at BGL Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A lot of varied and exciting projects - Designing assessment centres for other graduates, making new systems for internal communications, designing creative materials, investigating markets

A lot of access to senior management - Solid opportunities for career development despite relatively low salary

No supervision or micromanagement

Attitude of "if you can do it - you'll be doing it" - no need to delegate work based on responsibility within the company, your CV will be fantastic.

Solid benefits - gym is £10/month and well equipped, free fruit, very cheap barista style coffee and drinks, flexible working, large car park, relaxed dress code

Cons

A very lean organisation, sometimes you become a specialist in one area and others will struggle to support you if you need time off

Be less resistant to change, there is a lot of focus on "what the board thinks" about decisions that will mainly affect staff.

Graduate experience

I have been working at BGL Group

Pros

Very good working benefits:

Free fruit, flexible working (can choose to start between 0730 and 0930 then leave earlier/later), lavish staff events and conferences

Lots of responsibility, after a few months your CV will look fantastic and you'll feel that you can answer just about any strength based interview question

Cons

The organisation is too lean. There is nobody to cover your work and that means that sometimes you'll have to work during your holidays and any day off at all or weekends

Management can be slow to do just about anything regarding changing processes

No bonuses for the past few years

Rather than refurbishing the executive suites and having lots of paid events and parties, bonuses should be awarded more generously

Ok if you enjoy red tape and Costa Coffee!

Former Employee - Software Developer in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at BGL Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people, mostly. "cheap" coffee if that's your thing. Easy commute, but get there early if you want to park.

Cons

Bureaucracy, slow processes, restrictive security policies, some lazy / ignorant managers.

I said what I thought when I left. With any luck my comments were taken on board.

Going places.

I have been working at BGL Group full-time

Pros

Good benefits with a great deal of emphasis on the wellbeing of staff. Constantly expanding and growing as a business. Good career prospects due to expansion. A lot on emphasis on career development and a good support structure to support this.

Cons

Salary banding varies massively between the each company. Business units do not really talk to each other eventhough are in the same location.

Allow greater flexibility to salary increases. Ensure there is greater consistency to salary and benchmarking exercises are taking place frequently. Promote better knowledge and experience transfer between the Business units to accelerate growth and capability.

Amazingly charitable!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at BGL Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The CSR work.
    Office facilities.
    Culture of enjoying the workplace.
    Events.

Cons

Expectations not always based on performance.
    Cultural can be overly corporate.
    Lack of flexibility of senior management.

Greater flexibility needed with the culture to prevent it from becoming staid. There should be greater focus on day to day performance and effort - too often self-publication prevails.

My experience was good, the stuffs there are friendly.

I worked at BGL Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly Environment to work in

Cons

The salary not so good as per Support role

Political nightmare - hell amongst the idiots of business climbers

Former Employee - Educated Monkey in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Educated Monkey in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at BGL Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When I first joined I was impressed by the facilities, attitude and prior success of this once little business

Cons

More than half of the senior management are incompetent, under-qualified and inexperienced. More than anywhere I have ever worked it is possible to attend 35 hours of meetings and do no work!

BGL were once a dynamic player - now a dinosaur in double quick time - run by good people with no idea

A waste of a year of my life

Former Employee - Universal Advisor in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Universal Advisor in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at BGL Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

pay is more than minimum wage, free coffee

Cons

Very poor management, no consideration for staff welfare, poor IT systems, nasty rude customers

I have worked at a lot of different companies, I worked for Barclays Investment Management for roughly 8 years in which time I progressed from a data entry to a role created specifically for me in MI and Data Analysis, Never have my skills been so completely wasted and overlooked as they were in this place, When I tried to make people aware of issues (for instance, when policies were renewing at a price other than what had been indicated to the client in writing) I was told to 'stop whinging', Other times customers would try to play the victim because they didn't get their own way and this led to numerous pointless meetings and disciplinary processes that ultimately made me ill because I KNEW that I did no wrong, I made every effort to provide an exemplary service and ultimately I was always treated as being in the wrong until the very last possible moment at which point then it is all ignored and glossed over and some new drama starts. I am not exaggerating when I say this job made me ill, I was advised by a Doctor to find a new job, I did and now I have never felt better, even though I get paid half as much money I now feel valued and appreciated and my skills are utilised, I would never recommend anyone ever go anywhere near bgl to either work or as a customer, I wouldn't go back there if you paid me £50k, their priorities are totally backwards, management of the building seemed to spend more time on making sure everyone was brainwashed into believing 'BGL is a fun place to work!!' rather than actually streamlining operations and ensuring consistency of service so the job is actually doable, management are clueless about what it's like on the phone, IT just seemed to stuff more and more pointless boxes onto the screen until they interfere with each other (like when they added a contact history that stopped the pass through of client details from the dpa screen, meaning you now have to type the policy number manually every time but your calls are marked as if you now have two utilities to make it quicker) ... calls are marked on stupid metrics that are at odds to each other (ie csat vs call time) I could go on and on but to be perfectly honest, you don't even deserve the time I've spent typing this up, It's only because I'd quite like a free ipad and this is a chance to have a rant.
    Everyone that works there thinks it sucks, the only reason they don't say that is because they're made to feel fearful of their jobs every day, a pathetic sham of a company that the thought of my time with leaves a seriously unpleasant feeling.

A company the genuinely cares for its staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at BGL Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good but even more importantly, they provide many fringe benefits that you cannot put a value on; Subsidised food in the on-site facilities, daily shuttle bus services to and from Peterborough train station and Hamptons shopping centre, BGL Instants that encourage staff to reward each other, subsidised (properly subsidised) mordern gym. There are also many opportunities for advancement across the whole group. BGL management listens to their staff and provide many avenues for views to be expressed.

Cons

Different, and sometimes incompatible, cultures and ways of doing the same thing in the different business units.

Overall a decent company to work for, with some perks, a reasonable employer for those in the Peterborough area.

Current Employee - Programmer in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Programmer in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at BGL Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent quality canteen with subsidised food, free fruit and cheap coffee. There is a gym at their Peterborough site. They do alot for charity fund raising, though perhaps a little too much emphasis on this at times. Pay is ok, you'll probably get an inflationary rise each year and a bonus if you are lucky (up to maximum 10%). They have a big summer ball (every 2 years) and annual fun days. Overall quite a pleasant place to work despite being located on an industrial estate. Core hours are 8.30am - 5pm (37.5 hours). The people that work at BGL are on the whole are a really nice bunch.

Cons

They are generally quite resistant to any kind of flexi or home working and are slightly old fashioned about dress code (ties must be worn for men) but at least there is a weekly dress down on a Friday. Leadership is ok but your work experience can vary alot depending on which business unit you work in. They like to make sure they know what you are doing at all times, regularly need to update them - it's a bit of distrust I feel in their employees. Seems quite a few people have left of late, empty desks dotted around the place. Latest bonus targets have been set way too high which just acts as a big disincentive though they are reviewing that now. Some people love the place (and stay a long time), others leave pretty quick. They put emphasis on corporate values but there never seems like many promotion opportunities unless you are prepared to move around within the Group.

Stop being so obsessed with what your employees are doing and build more trust. Be a bit more flexible with dress code and a little less obsessed with profit, time management and cutting costs. Sadly like all companies that start to make a decent profit they have gone down this road a little too much in my opinion. More transparency is required too from senior management down and consider investing more in training for employees to create goodwill from them in return.