BGL Group

BGL Group CEO Matthew Donaldson
Matthew Donaldson

Shame about the divide

I have been working at BGL Group

Pros

there's many perks for working at BGL. I personally enjoy it, and have recommended friends who have since joined. Free fruit, gym membership for only £10 per month, annual funday to treat the family, awards ball every 2 years. Even the odd free meal in our subsidised restaurant.

Cons

There's a massive divide between a senior managers life and a staff level life at bgl.

There's no doubt there's a clique within the management and the divide between staff level and manager, particularly senior manager grade is ridiculous. It sometimes feels like an old boys club. The managers that are friends all seem to get promoted around each other, while staff graft.

The bonus scheme is laughable. it really is. staff get a weeks pay if their business unit hits targets, managers get 10%, senior managers 15%, Associate Directors 25% - god knows what directors get(!) - i've been there 3 years and never had one btw. They even flew the senior managers to new york for a 'conference' (jolly) and gave them all ipad minis (there's about 500 SM's) - that's alot of money spent, while staff level got nothing. They even had a load of 'comfy' chairs flown over from the UK because the ones in new york weren't comfortable enough. Ridiculous.

It's a real big shame. there's other things that are cons to. I read someone else saying it's in the 80's that's a bit harsh, but 90's will do :) - it's a formal dress code still, this is 2015 folks, wake up!! pulse survey keeps saying we're not happy with formal dress but it gets ignored. There's also a lot of ego's in the place, senior managers need just binning, get rid of em! I know one that gets paid a fortune and just talks rubbish all day. what a gig.

- For god sake CHANGE THE DRESS CODE!!!!!!! listen to us!!
    - You really do need to wake up and sniff our the brown nosing waste of spacers within the senior managers area.
    - Shortern the divide, if senior managers deserve new york, ipads, bonuses then give staff SOMETHING at least.
    - Desktops are too locked down. The company is super paranoid about data protection, i guess they should be, but in this day and age they should have enough security to allow us to do a better job. So much time is wasted asking to be allowed to get a download, changing settings on your machine etc.
    - Miserable staff in the coffee shop in pegasus house. Particularly Heather - where did you find her?!? service with a smile? yeh a chelsea smile maybe.

Great company and fantastic interview experience

I have been working at BGL Group

Pros

I recently attended the BGL Finance Graduate assessment centre in January. The process in itself was faultless, starting with an online application, telephone interview, psychometric tests and then an assessment centre. The supporting questions for application were relevant to the job role, and wasn't to time consuming either. The psychometric tests were SHL so your normal numerical and verbal reasoning. Then, the assessment centre! The offices are so swanky with really friendly and welcoming reception staff. We then began the day with an overview of the company and its progress carried out by the CFO. The day, surprisingly was really fun and enjoyable. I got to engage with all levels of staff from mid to board level. We also got to take home a Meerkat!!!!

Cons

I can not really comment on any 'cons' as such as I was there for a day and I came away with the biggest smile on my face. Plus, they put on a huge buffet for our lunch.... who could moan about that!?!?

Keep doing what you're doing! The day was great. Best assessment centre I have attended yet!

Expected great things, had an average experience.

Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at BGL Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cheap Gym (at Main site), Free fruit, subsidised canteen serving hot food and drinks, Annual fun day, They know how to throw a good ball, regular senior management updates, additional perks like subsidised therapy, discounts, etc. Finally got rid of the requirement to require ties (very 80's) and they have dress-down friday. One day off a year to do charitable/volunteer work, good remuneration and some flexible working (but not for all!) Good values and culture from the top down, but sadly let down by middle and junior management who are only out to feather their own nests.

Cons

Over-complicated annual appraisal that actually stands for very little. Far too many people with the word "manager" in their job title, who actually manage no-one. Too many people in management positions who have blagged it, are in over their depth, and don't have the people skills to actually manage people. Progression prospects for me were non-existent, despite false promises from a succession of "managers". Far to much emphasis on "charity fund raising". Too much "if your face fits" - grafters get over-looked when the loud-mouths who talk-the-talk but don't walk-the-walk shout loudest to the junior and middle management. Started out great, but it went downhill rapidly - I'm surprised I lasted as long as I did. My advice, get in, do a couple of years - If you haven't advanced, get out because you won't go any further... Matthew Donaldson the CEO is breathing some fresh air into the business, but it is a large business and will take some time to change.

Consider your polices and ensure that they are applied CONSISTENTLY to ALL and not just your "favourites". Appoint managers who have a proven track record and not those who just "blag it" at interview.
    The company has been described to me by many as like "A chav who has won the lottery".... make of that what you will....

Graduate experience

I have been working at BGL Group

Pros

Very good working benefits:

Free fruit, flexible working (can choose to start between 0730 and 0930 then leave earlier/later), lavish staff events and conferences

Lots of responsibility, after a few months your CV will look fantastic and you'll feel that you can answer just about any strength based interview question

Cons

The organisation is too lean. There is nobody to cover your work and that means that sometimes you'll have to work during your holidays and any day off at all or weekends

Management can be slow to do just about anything regarding changing processes

No bonuses for the past few years

Rather than refurbishing the executive suites and having lots of paid events and parties, bonuses should be awarded more generously

Graduate

Current Employee - Graduate in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at BGL Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A lot of varied and exciting projects - Designing assessment centres for other graduates, making new systems for internal communications, designing creative materials, investigating markets

A lot of access to senior management - Solid opportunities for career development despite relatively low salary

No supervision or micromanagement

Attitude of "if you can do it - you'll be doing it" - no need to delegate work based on responsibility within the company, your CV will be fantastic.

Solid benefits - gym is £10/month and well equipped, free fruit, very cheap barista style coffee and drinks, flexible working, large car park, relaxed dress code

Cons

A very lean organisation, sometimes you become a specialist in one area and others will struggle to support you if you need time off

Be less resistant to change, there is a lot of focus on "what the board thinks" about decisions that will mainly affect staff.

Lack of respect, hierarchical, distrusting culture

Former Employee - Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at BGL Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Salary, not much else, they claim to expect more from their staff than other organisations but this wasn't obvious!

Cons

Culture, arrogance, behaviours are just spin, inflexible, badly segmented, living in the 80s.

Focus on your culture, learn to show trust to your employees, regardless of level, stop focusing so much on level and more so on behaviour, don't keep employees that clearly don't demonstrate those behaviours.

Ok if you enjoy red tape and Costa Coffee!

Former Employee - Software Developer in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at BGL Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, mostly. "cheap" coffee if that's your thing. Easy commute, but get there early if you want to park.

Cons

Bureaucracy, slow processes, restrictive security policies, some lazy / ignorant managers.

I said what I thought when I left. With any luck my comments were taken on board.

Going places.

I have been working at BGL Group full-time

Pros

Good benefits with a great deal of emphasis on the wellbeing of staff. Constantly expanding and growing as a business. Good career prospects due to expansion. A lot on emphasis on career development and a good support structure to support this.

Cons

Salary banding varies massively between the each company. Business units do not really talk to each other eventhough are in the same location.

Allow greater flexibility to salary increases. Ensure there is greater consistency to salary and benchmarking exercises are taking place frequently. Promote better knowledge and experience transfer between the Business units to accelerate growth and capability.

Amazingly charitable!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at BGL Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The CSR work.
    Office facilities.
    Culture of enjoying the workplace.
    Events.

Cons

Expectations not always based on performance.
    Cultural can be overly corporate.
    Lack of flexibility of senior management.

Greater flexibility needed with the culture to prevent it from becoming staid. There should be greater focus on day to day performance and effort - too often self-publication prevails.

My experience was good, the stuffs there are friendly.

I worked at BGL Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly Environment to work in

Cons

The salary not so good as per Support role