BHP Billiton

BHP Billiton Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

BHP Billiton CEO Andrew Mackenzie

Andrew Mackenzie

Pros:
  • "Good pay and benefits, career progression, travel etc"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Decent work live balance, good benefits, independent work"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is not the best"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Sometimes long hours and tough expectations that can impact personal life, although culture does seem to be changing some with new management"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A great company with positive values.

Finance Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsNice office location and good people to work with. Lots of growth and job opportunities. Company appears to be very employee focused.

ConsTo much process and sometimes this makes it difficult to do our jobs. To many system changes and past senior leadership was a con. This seems to be changing.

Underutilized - Stymied by incompetent Managers afraid of change

Senior Contract Specialist (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsTop quartile in salary and good bonus incentive structure. Cafe with subsidized lunhes - $2. Great health and Retirement Savings Plan. 9/80 work schedule with every other Friday off. Gym on-site.

ConsProcesses slow and cumbersome. Individual performance impacted by these processes, procedures and multi-layer of approvals required to execute the businees. Completion of work takes too long and adversely impacts yearly bonus. Slow decision making by management stifles any efforts to make change to exsiting procedures. Management is unwilling to try new things and be proactive. Constantly reacting to crisis of the day. Poor planning. Excessive turn over in management causes lack of direction for long periods of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove planning and begin executing towards plan without knee-jerk changes. Listen to Specialists on making improvements to simplify and become more efficient. Be proactive and not wait for others to get their act together. Communicate to employees and make them feel part of the solution. Don't be so "top down" in decision making. Many lower level employees have solutions to challenges facing thier discipline.

Watch your back

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsCompensation and benefits are good. The Cafe is great. The company is generous with travel allowances; good hotels and good restaurants are not a problem.

ConsImpatient managers. The company seems to be run by Development and Drilling, everyone else is just a bit player. Little appetite exists to challenge this.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrategy see saws with frequent management changes.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Diverse and dynamic with increasing position in US onshore shale complementing its deep water E&P operations globally.

Houston, TX

ProsCareer development. Exposure to onshore and offshore E&P industry, and potentially to other BHPBILLITON businesses globally.

ConsIncreasingly process driven which can be frustratingly slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild greater collaboration both within and out with the business.

Overall it has been a positive experience with multiple opportunities to challenge myself and to learn from others.

Production Planner - Mine Engineer (Current Employee)
    Farmington, NM

ProsWork/Life Balance, Compensation, Location, Challenging problem solving opportunities, Career mentoring and performance feedback.

ConsDecreased business growth, NGO interference with operations.

Incompetent Management

Assistant Accountant (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGreat Compensation salary. Great Cafeteria food and excellent prices.

ConsBrown Nosing will get you far...not actual hard work and taking initiative.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe communication is horrible. Management only takes input from their favorite minions. They don't listen why bother.

Highly stressful work atmosphere; but great advancement opportunity

Houston, TX

ProsGood salary, excellent benefits. Solid career, clear cut career path for employees.

ConsCan be very stressful; conflicting management can render it difficult to achieve daily tasks. Questionable turnover rates, largely due to TYPE A atmosphere.

Has changed over the years in Houston

Finance Analyst (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsPay and Benefits, superb. Managers are knowledgeable. Good teammates.

ConsNo time for family life, and personal life, had to sneak out of the offices at night.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, just know that what goes around, goes around.

A huge mistake...

Finance Analyst (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGood salary, excellent bonus, free parking, cafeteria is amazing, 9/80, decent benefits. Galleria location is nice, free cokes in the kitchens.

Fine for someone who is career-entry. Stay a couple of years, bank your bonus, and know that you will likely take a cut to leave.

ConsMicro-managing, soul-crusing, sadistic managers.

Not enough work to fill up the day and the work itself is tedious and boring. Like working for the DMV, or on an assembly line. Just tighten your widget (or update your PowerPoint slide) until the whistle blows.

Cameras are everywhere, including outside the restroom. Everywhere you go is monitored, I wouldn't be surprised if they had keystroke loggers. Managers are more interested in clock watching and pouncing on people for leaving their desk than in doing actual work. Personal cell phones are not allowed, and managers will repremand people if they catch them using them. Internet usage is tightly monitored and controlled.

There are procedures for every single facet of your job. Nothing can be done without consulting the procedures, reviewing them, writing a research paper about the process and getting it approved.
    Complete analysis paralysis at all times.

Promotions are totally based on brown-nosing. Pay scale is far above title, so people who are there more than a couple of years become trapped and bitter.

Turnover is very high, close to 20%+ in professional positions from what I saw, not counting the people who came and left within the first two weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementShale is totally different than off-shore. Get people who understand how shale works and let them do it. Stop micro-managing everything. Require managers to have some people skills. Fix the turnover problem - it is just demoralizing for everyone. You hire high-quality people - some of the smartest I have ever encountered - stop treating them like criminals or idiots and let them do their jobs.

Great company, only bad part is QA

Division Order Analyst (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGreat salary, good career growth opportunities, good environment, great benefits, awesome cafeteria. They hire a lot of young people.

ConsVery slow processes. you also have QA come behind you and look over every single detail of your work and they love to issue exceptions, which can affect your bonus. if i were to decide to leave the company, they would be the reason why.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop letting QA have so much power over us.

Worked for BHP Billiton? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BHP Billiton reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BHP Billiton CEO Andrew Mackenzie. All 199 reviews posted anonymously by BHP Billiton employees.