BHP Billiton

Updated December 16, 2014
3.2

BHP Billiton CEO Andrew Mackenzie
Andrew Mackenzie

Pros
  • You can make more money and have a better work life balance at a Major; BHPB is a bad deal (in 16 reviews)

• Pay and benefits are nice, except when you consider the work environment (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, lack of enforcement of charter values at management and peer level (in 20 reviews)

• Long hours are all but guarantee especially if you want to move up (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Ways to improve

I have been working at BHP Billiton

Pros

Great benefits and good group of people to work with.

Cons

Changes in procedures happen all too frequently. Computer systems go down often and outages are a regular issue.

Have more in-house computer techs and less outsourcing of network support.

Good job security, lots of politics

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at BHP Billiton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job security, opportunities to meet lots of people with different backgrounds

Cons

Micromanaging abounds, not much room for upward growth unless you happen to be some senior mgr's favorite

Amazing internship

Former Employee - Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at BHP Billiton as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Interning at this company was an amazing experience. They have really grown the internship program in recent years and the support that interns receive from HR, the senior leadership team, and their departments is phenomenal. We always felt like we were a part of the team and not simply a temp worker for the summer. We had a nice schedule laid out for the summer that included site visits and social outings with interns and employees. The Galleria area is a great place to live, and the 9/80 work week made our summer that much more fun. The work-life balance was also great and I never felt like I had to take my work home with me. The high pay was great to have, but the provided housing is what really sealed the deal.

Cons

With such a large organization, we found ourselves in meetings more often than I would have liked. Sometimes we wouldn't see our supervisors until after hours because they were running from meeting to meeting all day.

Best company I have ever worked for!

I have been working at BHP Billiton

Pros

Salary, benefits, awesome managers and coworkers. Many new opportunities!

Cons

Cannot think of any. Great place to work!

Invest time into creating automated processes that are simple and efficient.

I do not recommend this company

Former Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at BHP Billiton

Pros

Nice salary. $2.00 lunch. Gym. Free parking

Cons

Supervisor makes you work over 60 hours a week and you get paid only 40 hours. No life work balance. Lack of training. Too many meetings. Bad business decisions. They bought $20 billion in gas assets at high price now they are trying to sell them and cannot even get an offer at all. Lack of Integrity from the Reservoir Supervisor making promises they never keep. Now with low oil price below $60.00 a barrel uncertainty in keeping jobs is an issue and morale has been down for the last 2 years.

New Management is needed. Do not buy more gas assets for a gas based company is not going to make enough money to keep business at sustainable level.

Low Oil & Gas prices + Unethical Management = YIKES!!!!! Keep looking....Layoffs are inevitable

Former Employee - Finance in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Finance in Houston, TX

I worked at BHP Billiton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I wish I had something positive to say; I don't.

Cons

Oil price is well below what BHP's management expected. One month into this fiscal year management realized they badly missed on their projections. Even so, management has not yet told the market the bad news and is now exporting oil without permission from the U.S. government.

Barring a miraculous recovery in price, layoffs are inevitable.

Management's decision to invest in shale has been the undoing of a once solid petroleum organization. Management has consistently misjudged price; hence the $2.85B write-off of Fayetteville only one year after the $5B purchase. (And now they are trying to sell it....and they won't get even half of what they paid since it's dry gas.) Now crude price is depressed due to over supply so even BHPB's once proud offshore assets are less productive than what Management promised the market.

Bad news is coming to their shareholders and employees at the end of this fiscal year. (June '15)

Steer clear of this company. The management group is committed to a series of bad investment and management decisions. Worse they are not telling the market, the government, or even their own employees the truth about their current situation.

Judgement day is coming soon; the numbers will tell then truth even if executives won't.

Oil and gas prices are dropping. It will be an interesting ride for those still on the train.

I worked at BHP Billiton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They pay well. Getting an above average review is hard to get because it has to go through so many layers of manager approval. But they never missed a payroll. And that is worth something?

Cons

their ability to pay their contractors in a timely manner will be the ultimate destruction of the company. Some of the vendors have been on the hook for months and cut off BHP. It has to get better, accounting.

Less meetings....more action

Great culture and people to work with

I worked at BHP Billiton

Pros

Managers interested in personal growth
    $2 lunches
    9/80 Schedule

Cons

Sometimes a bit too lax

Great Company with Awesome Benefits

I have been working at BHP Billiton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and perks such as:
    -6% matching 401K and an Employer Funded Account - all employes are vested day 1 of employment
    -Healthcare, dental, vision
    -minimum 3 weeks vacation
    -unlimited sick days
    -9/80 work schedule (every other Friday off)
    -$2 lunches
    -Gym and carpooling reimbursements
    -perks of sponsoring the Texas and Dynamo (tickets, raffles, etc.)
    -central, Galleria location

Cons

-In some departments, the work-life balance is not ideal

The new CEO is setting the company on a great path. Keep up the good work.

Politics, drama, high stress...yikes

Former Employee - Human Resource Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resource Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at BHP Billiton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You'll work with some very talented oil and gas professionals. $2 lunches, gym, free parking, good benefits, above average pay.

Cons

As I stated before, yikes. As bad as it is at BHP, it is improving. The new CEO has made tremendous strides in an effort to undo the fear culture set up by the previous regime; however, there is much to be done. Essentially, they need to fire about 50% of the management. They are like a beat dog...huddled in the corner and scared to death to make a decision without 15 months of analysis...and then, and only then, act if there is ZERO risk. You can't run an effective business that way. This is why they haven't made any significant oil discoveries in over 10 years in deep water. I won't even start on shale...lost as a goose. Using draconian HSE practices that nobody else in the industry implements. It's losing money with no real strategy for long term growth. BHP is a low to middle of the pack oil company, but if you ask the leadership, they talk like they are the biggest oil company in the world. There is a reason the average tenure is 3 years. You can do better.

Mass terminations at the mid-manager level would help.