BHS Reviews

3.3
BHS Managing Director Sir Philip Nigel Ross Green
Sir Philip Nigel Ross Green

1. Kind co-workers, good entry-level job

I worked at BHS part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free breakfast/lunch depending on when you work. Nice, friendly coworkers. Boss was usually nice. Work was simple. Either cashier duty or server.

Cons

Boss would sometimes be irritated or irritable. Portion sizes could be larger...

2. Shocking

Current Employee - Restaurant Assistant in Essex, MD
    Current Employee - Restaurant Assistant in Essex, MD

I have been working at BHS part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discount - 20% in the shop 40% off in reataurants and cafe. 25% in Arcadia shops (Dorothy perkins, topshop, miss selfridge etc)

Cons

Everything breaks and is never fixed! Wages are minimum wage. No training at all youre just left to get on with it! Disorganised management. Food team get pushed to the side and they act like we are not part of the store. No chance for progression at all.

Advice to Management

Sort it out!! Pay more attention to your staff and listen to their ideas!

3. food service

Current Employee - Food and Beverage Assistant in Telford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Food and Beverage Assistant in Telford, England (UK)

I have been working at BHS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

a good company to work for always lots of feed back on what's going on how the branch is doing and praise given when needed . all staff willing to help each other

Cons

none I can think of

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

5. Worked as Christmas temp

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Southend-on-Sea, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Southend-on-Sea, England (UK)

I have been working at BHS

Pros

Extremely friendly atmosphere, the company treated me right and with respect, best employer I've worked for so far

Cons

My Temp contact stated that I would work there a couple weeks more than what I actually did.

Advice to Management

rehire me :(

6. BHS Review

Current Employee - Merchandise Associate in Chester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Merchandise Associate in Chester, England (UK)

I have been working at BHS

Pros

Extremely friendly colleagues, who have the ability to make work enjoyable and who have helped me develop as a person and overcome my shyness when speaking to customers and everyday people which i can now do with ease. There are always challenges for each shift whether they are large or small which make the days interesting. The customers who shop there are always polite (apart from a few) and never hesitate to ask for help. The managment are great to worker under with them being more of a friend than manager which makes it easier for everyone to work with. Overall a brilliant place to work especially for those who like me had/have problems communicating with people in a normal way

Cons

There aren't that many problems with BHS itself but there are a few such as being understaffed on busy days which can create problems for us and customers who get frustrated when it takes a while to clear a queue at the checkouts.

Advice to Management

My advice to managers would be to put a suggestion box where everyone can get to it e.g. the staffroom where anyone can put a suggestion in to making the stoor better for customers and the staff even if it's something small such as small/large fundraising events to raise money for special causes which can be child friendly that could occur within the stoor. My other advice to management would be to give more powers to some of the staff (nothing extravagant) such as giving someone a higher code to be able to e.g. give change from the till, as those of us who work part time on a sunday can't do this and when only one member of management is having there lunch we have to call them to come down and deal with such a problem, so it's to make working easier for the staff and management.

7. furniture logistics administrator

Former Employee - Furniture Logistics Administrator in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Furniture Logistics Administrator in London, England (UK)

I worked at BHS

Pros

Sample sales, good staff restaurant

Cons

Very difficult for career progression

Advice to Management

Get staff more involved

8. One of my best jobs so far

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Basingstoke, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Basingstoke, England (UK)

I have been working at BHS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful colleagues, management want you to feel like you're part of a family, help is always available, colleagues recognise those who do their job well and there are rewards for doing so. I enjoy working and don't dread my shifts. It's made clear that your opinions and ideas matter and you know where to go if you want to share any thoughts. Managers often interact with you and get to know you.

Cons

Not a lot of training is provided at first and you mostly learn as you go. However, anyone will teach you how to do something or will explain something to you in as much detail as you need should you ask.

9. BHS

Current Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Hillingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Hillingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at BHS (More than a year)

Pros

Over-time is constantly available, £3 bonus per credit card application

Cons

it is extremely hot, the environment is too hot to work in, they want to do nothing about it, customers complain all the time.

Advice to Management

sort out the air conditioning in all stores especially flagship stores as you are losing business as customers are unwilling to shop

10. shop floor assistant

Current Employee - Shop Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Shop Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at BHS part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the occasioanl £40 voucher for excellent customer service £3 per credit card application arcadia discount (limited time) BHS store discount

Cons

not enough staff on shop floor so too many customers to help not given enough credit when you do a good job, yet always see the bad things you do not many extra hours available not many promotions in the work place too much pressure put on into getting the freedom reward cards from customers parking too expensive some of the products are either too expensive or too much generated towards the older generation mens wear is still not on the system

Advice to Management

communication is key. and stop mentioning 'card' to us all the time. we work in retail... not a bank.

11. ok to work

Current Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Weston-super-Mare, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Weston-super-Mare, England (UK)

I have been working at BHS full-time

Pros

Room to improve job prospects good team can be fun can sometimes be the best place

Cons

Short staff pay low for why is expected of you can be Trying can be very very short notice to do working hours sometimes the worst

Advice to Management

To get there probity straight and stop telling people different things work of the same sheet

RSS Feed </> Embed