BI Worldwide

Updated January 20, 2015
Updated January 20, 2015
3.4

Larry Schoenecker

Pros
  • Great place for someone to start their career (in 3 reviews)

• Exposure to & Opportunity to work with many different industries (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • t work from home especially when the weather is really bad (in 3 reviews)

• Strange way of providing IT solutions (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with global experience opportunities

Former Employee - Director in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Director in Edina, MN

I worked at BI Worldwide full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Culture, really great people, values, opportunities to grow professionally with challenging projects, promotions from within, extra time off in the summer, employee incentive/recognition opportunities.

Cons

The client base is primarily Fortune 500 so expectations of the companies or individuals within them can at times have demanding timelines for client facing positions.

The most ironic company in Minnesota

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Edina, MN

I have been working at BI Worldwide

Pros

Nice perks like parties, company discounts, merchandise, shortened summer hours

Cons

Unbelievably a company that turns profit from telling other companies how to engage their employees has very little knowledge of how to engage their employees. It is said that employees don't quit a company they quit a bad boss. BI Worldwide should look at turn over and realize it's because of bad bosses. A good employee who has been around for a while does not necessarily make a good manager of people. Further, it shows a complete lack of trust to not allow your employees to work remotely. All other issues: lack of training, lack of direction, and lack of mentors all lead back to the issue of poor management. I can't say how disappointed I am. BI Worldwide promotes themselves as a company that works hard and plays hard. I had high hopes that this would be a place where I would thrive.

Giving employees gifts is nice but without solid management and processes, BI Worldwide will not retain the necessary talent to move business forward.

BDD

I have been working at BI Worldwide

Pros

Great company to work for ...

Cons

Regional Manager lacked leadership and interpersonal skills ... they think they know it all.

Leadership development.

Continually focused on improvement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN

I have been working at BI Worldwide full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with a wide variety of customers and internal groups. Can drive improvement and change suggestions, at all levels of the organization.

Cons

Complexity of projects can restrict speed of development.

Poor Regional Leadership

Former Employee - Business Development Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Business Development Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at BI Worldwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A good company Vision. Many solid products and services. Strong HQ based leadership. Overall, many talented people working in a company that is trying to create a good culture.

Cons

Way to many inconsistencies throughout the regions of the company. Some sales offices are a complete joke in terms of leadership and potential success. It is impossible to succeed in certain sales offices. They have poor or no leadership, and as a result, get little to no access to vital company resources.

Make an honest commitment to your valued employees. Actually look at the employee surveys that you created. Eliminate the incompetent underperforming regional managers that are holding the company back, and continually driving good employees away year after year. It is very disruptive to growth and productivity.

OK

Former Employee - Account Executive in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Edina, MN

I worked at BI Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Aggressive culture. Very sales oriented.

Cons

The only money to be made is in sales or as an owner.

Good, but not great.

Former Employee - Front End Web Developer in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Front End Web Developer in Edina, MN

I worked at BI Worldwide as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

There is a wide variety of projects to work on. There is nobody breathing down your neck, or watching over your shoulder, so you're pretty much treated as an adult . There are a lot of long-time people there, so the level of dedication is high. Interesting, challenging work, though they are not the most technologically advanced. On the surface everyone is really "nice".

Cons

They're stuck using old technology and old processes (waterfall vs. agile). I felt like a lot of my skills were going to go to waste.

I noticed a lot of "because that's the way we've always done it" thinking. In what seems like panic, middle management throws new people on projects that are not aligned with their skill set, then blames the employee for not succeeding--setting people up for failure. It seemed that my director never even heard what I said about my experience & skill set and I was thrown onto a project that I had never had experience with that had an impossible deadline. Other contractors said they had seen that happen often.

Management is relatively unaccessible, uncommunicative and secretive about decisions they're making. The people I worked with were "nice" but there was a lack of direct and honest communication.

Overall a decent place to be

I have been working at BI Worldwide full-time

Pros

Casual, fun environment. They have made great progress trying to make the environment more contemporary and fun.
    You can make your job what it to be, so if you are a good performer, you have a lot of latitude to do alot.
    You are not micro managed at all, that is a huge plus.
    Overall good group of employees - friendly culture

Cons

Poor opportunity for advancement
    Poor recogntion of top performers and poor employee engagement and recognition efforts overall
    Lack of recogntion and addressing of poor performers, so they permeate the company. It would seem easy to stay their for your career and litterally not do much of anything daily.
    Took a hard stance on work at home policy which is taking 10 giant steps backward in todays day and age. No working at home allowed.

Connect with your employees to really know where they are in their career, and their plans for the future. If you have employees you consider valuable, recogntize them and make them feel valuable. if you have employees that are poor performers, deall with them.

Java Developer Company Review

Current Employee - Java Developer in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Java Developer in Edina, MN

I have been working at BI Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really like the fact that the managers are very understanding and supportive. I really enjoy being able to work on multiple projects and being able to learn from other developers and architect. The parties that bi worldwide have also keep the employees entertained and allowed them to socialize with people from different departments.

Cons

The annual salary increase is not much and there’s not much opportunity for promotion. I don’t like the fact that you can’t work from home especially when the weather is really bad.

Allow employee to work from home will be really nice (at least a couple days a week).

Great

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Edina, MN

I worked at BI Worldwide as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I've done three internship, and this one was easily my favorite. Employees are great and friendly, and a culture open for employees to be themselves. I worked in a small group of like 6 or 7, and they were great enjoyable to work with. The work is challenging but definitely not over the top. Thanks

Cons

They don't necessarily have the latest technology, but I was running great hardware... 16gm of ram, i7 processor, and 22in monitor probably a second one too if I wanted it.

BI Worldwide Response

Sep 22, 2014VP, HR

Thanks for your postive review, and for recognizing the strength of our associates and our culture!