BJ's Restaurants

www.bjsrestaurants.com

BJ's Restaurants Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Greg Trojan

Pros
  • Possibility to make good money if your a closing server(in 12 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, when working with a (literally) almost hundred other servers, easy to get a shift covered(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, crappy clientele, high turn-over thus servers are not very good(in 9 reviews)

• You have a script to follow and secret shoppers come in to grade you, if you don't say the right things you could be fired(in 7 reviews)

"I LOVE THIS PLACE"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNever a dull moment! Always busy! Great location!

ConsParking can be a challenge, for some especially around the holidays/wkends...if your not aware of the 4 levels/parking.

Advice to Senior ManagementU Rock!

It's a decent job

Host (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsIf you want to work your way up to serving this is a good place to start. Try starting as a food runner or take out, but host if you have to.

ConsVery cutthroat. Hours are not guaranteed (especially for hosts) if business is slow we get cut early.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey have a helpful training workbook but the hosts who trained me didn't really help at all.

It has it's moments.

Server (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsGreat money for the hours as a server. I've been there 4 years. Cooks work extra hard because of the high volume but they can advance and get raises with every section of the line they learn. It's a very busy place. My store only promotes from within but it's easy to advance if you work hard. My GM is very "by the book" and runs a tight ship. The other managers are nice and helpful and really care about the Guest's experience as well as ours.

ConsIt's VERY high volume. Be prepared to sweat. It's hard, physical work and you are dealing with the public. You have to be nice so this isn't for everybody. The server's hourly wage in most states is LAME!

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for doing away with the Secret Shoppers!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good restaurant experience for someone who has none. Easy to learn and work your way up. Managers are pretty nice.

Hostess (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsStaff is easy going and friendly and pretty laid back. Potential to make good money if you put in the effort.

ConsSome of the servers are cranky and get mad if they are either too busy or not busy enough. Hard to please every single person. Can't really trust anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was great.

Great Place to Work

Server (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsFlexible scheduling- you can pick up and drop shifts on line. Great money, friendly staff, great food and processes. They are always busy.

ConsBig menu to memorize, long training period where you don't make tips.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

I think this place is for hostess to move up to being a server so they can add it to there resume a month later.

Server (Current Employee)

ProsThey'll hire just about anyone. they seem to have a huge turn over rate with employees who have been with the company or store for less than 10 years. I cant speak for everyone else experience, but mine was nothing but negative. I rarely have a negative thing nor would i ever broadcast it publicly unless it was too important not to. So as long as your ok with having to be hazed for a $9 hour position then go for it.

Your job is simple, take an order deliver drink, deliver check then do it agian.

Consyou will be expected to suggest to guest to use there phone next time to place there order and pay. this will make the guest feel unwelcome and most will be be offened about you telling them not bother you next time and just order from there darn phone themselves next time, so don't expect a tip.
    But suggesting mobile ordering and mobile pay is a requirement. So ultimately you will be advocating that a mobile phone take your guests orders and collects payment, which are 2 out of the 3 only tasks you are responsible for doing. So ultimately your just an advocate to promoting yourself out of a job. Why pay you to do a job that a mobile device can do for free.
    Droid and iPhones cant collect unemployment, or workman's comp. Why would they need you now, because they got a computer to do your work for you faster and for free.
    I'm just saying. the company prides themselves of making a connection with the guest, but this is the opposite of what there really trying to do in the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementThinking that being called a B-word is not a compliment, so stop telling us how much of a compliment you think it is and how bad you like being known as one. I refuse to let you feel good about yourself everytime you are unnecessary unkind to us employees below your position. BTW you are so not welcom, so dont bother saying thank you.

Fun work environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Doral, FL

ProsGreat staff and sense of camaraderie. Flexible schedules. Professionalism. Great beer. Opportunity for promotion.

ConsVery corporate. Always shoving programs in the guests face... can make bartending or serving not fun after awhile, scripted service steps.

Server

Server (Former Employee) Baton Rouge, LA

ProsCash Tips, flexible schedules, friendly co workers.

Conslong hours, crappy clientele, high turn-over thus servers are not very good

Advice to Senior ManagementWork more with employees when training instead of putting them in front of a computers for several hours.

Good place to work

Prep Cook (Current Employee) Katy, TX

ProsThe restaurant is busy, busy, busy. but you can manage to do everything if you apply yourself. Everytime ou learn a new section you can receive $0.25 more in your paycheck.

ConsDepending on what manager is how difficult it is

Great culture!

ProsGreat teamwork, solid structure. Love the food, beer and the up beat environment. Makes work FUN. Love my co-workers too.

ConsVery high standards. Lots of structure. Very black and white process and procedures.

Worked for BJ's Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!