BJ's Restaurants Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.9
Greg Trojan

Pros
  • If you're a server it's short shifts with good money (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, when working with a (literally) almost hundred other servers, easy to get a shift covered (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers are frequently under a lot of stress and tired due to long hours which can affect the whole team (in 10 reviews)

• It's a LOT of work, but a great food runner makes a much smoother shift (in 4 reviews)

1. Good Money, Bad Management

Current Employee - Cocktail Waitress/Server in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Cocktail Waitress/Server in Newark, CA

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work at BJ's is that you will make good money as a server / cocktail waitress.

Cons

The hours can be long. I have worked from 4:30pm - 2am multiple times. The store is almost always short staff nowadays. The management does not care. I told the manager I had a table waiting 25 mins for food. He told me to run another tables food & if my table wants to complain he can talk to them later.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. If management was just a little bit more considerate and not work their employees to the bone, less people will call out, and less people will quit.

disappointed

Former Employee - Lead Line Cook in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Line Cook in Newark, CA

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

there's no shortage of hours for cheap employees

Cons

i thought this was an upgrade from my previous employer, but i was very disappointed. they tried to cheat me on my pay by promising one rate and delivering another, waited till id been there 2 weeks before i was put in the system/on the books. management is completely incompetent and overpaid, they all just hide in the office till the rush hits. i was expected to do everything by the book even though they werent, such as a promotion given to a dishwasher that has never worked boh but the kitchen manager had clearly began fraternizing so she got the job after 2 days. ive worked at some shady places but this is the absolute worst job ive ever had. management is a joke, horrible communication, spineless snakes.

Advice to Management

quit.

3. Good Company that Wants to be Great

Current Employee - Dining Room Manager in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Dining Room Manager in Newark, CA

Pros

Base salary compared to other concepts is excellent with great opportunities to bonus. You are absolutely surrounded by great talent and there is the ability to promote if you are willing to play the game. It is high volume and high energy with great team members. Overall, Management teams are very competent and passionate about the business which always makes your job easier. It is a very fun environment to work in as long as you can take working late hours and understand that there will be very little praise and recognition when you do a great job. The company is striving to be a top 100 company to work for but am not sure they know how to get there-still it is good to know that it is something they want to be. 401K and Benefits are slightly above average for the industry. Always has, by far, the best technology and reporting that the industry has to offer.

Cons

Should have the expectation of working 50+ hours as well as working from home. Often, there is a disconnect between senior leadership and ground operations as far as execution and expectations. BJ's needs to live there culture which at the home office level is very strong. In operations most of what we consider culture specifically in regards to quality of life is missing. The GM's are over worked and take little time off and honestly the expectation as an AGM or below is that you operate in the same manner. Not a great place to work as a manager if you have children and/or are married. People who have family needs or ask to not work certain shifts to help free up time for family are looked down upon. Because we are a brewery and we stay open until 1am, there are constant issues with dealing with drunk guests which can be difficult. Should have the expectation to work until 230am-3am when closing. Praise and recognition are missing even when you produce great results. The company sells its managers on the idea that there are great opportunities to promote however GM positions are often filled with outside candidates and development of talent within is not executed well. Area Directors and VP's all come across as very intelligent, passionate, and competent professionals but spend little time in the restaurants and are unaware of the real time issues and challenges that GM's and below face. The expectations to promote as far as knowledge and details are not held by your superiors who are supposed to be your role models.

Advice to Management

Live the culture and be a top 100 company to work for instead of just striving to be. Senior leadership needs to be more interactive in developing talent within the ranks.

RSS Feed </> Embed