BJ's Restaurants

Updated Dec 12, 2013

Greg Trojan

2 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Company that Wants to be Great

Dining Room Manager (Current Employee)
Newark, CA

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants

ProsBase salary compared to other concepts is excellent with great opportunities to bonus. You are absolutely surrounded by great talent and there is the ability to promote if you are willing to play the game. It is high volume and high energy with great team members. Overall, Management teams are very competent and passionate about the business which always makes your job easier. It is a very fun environment to work in as long as you can take working late hours and understand that there will be very little praise and recognition when you do a great job. The company is striving to be a top 100 company to work for but am not sure they know how to get there-still it is good to know that it is something they want to be. 401K and Benefits are slightly above average for the industry. Always has, by far, the best technology and reporting that the industry has to offer.

ConsShould have the expectation of working 50+ hours as well as working from home. Often, there is a disconnect between senior leadership and ground operations as far as execution and expectations. BJ's needs to live there culture which at the home office level is very strong. In operations most of what we consider culture specifically in regards to quality of life is missing. The GM's are over worked and take little time off and honestly the expectation as an AGM or below is that you operate in the same manner. Not a great place to work as a manager if you have children and/or are married. People who have family needs or ask to not work certain shifts to help free up time for family are looked down upon. Because we are a brewery and we stay open until 1am, there are constant issues with dealing with drunk guests which can be difficult. Should have the expectation to work until 230am-3am when closing. Praise and recognition are missing even when you produce great results. The company sells its managers on the idea that there are great opportunities to promote however GM positions are often filled with outside candidates and development of talent within is not executed well. Area Directors and VP's all come across as very intelligent, passionate, and competent professionals but spend little time in the restaurants and are unaware of the real time issues and challenges that GM's and below face. The expectations to promote as far as knowledge and details are not held by your superiors who are supposed to be your role models.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive the culture and be a top 100 company to work for instead of just striving to be. Senior leadership needs to be more interactive in developing talent within the ranks.

disappointed

Lead Line Cook (Former Employee)
Newark, CA

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time for less than a year

Prosthere's no shortage of hours for cheap employees

Consi thought this was an upgrade from my previous employer, but i was very disappointed. they tried to cheat me on my pay by promising one rate and delivering another, waited till id been there 2 weeks before i was put in the system/on the books. management is completely incompetent and overpaid, they all just hide in the office till the rush hits. i was expected to do everything by the book even though they werent, such as a promotion given to a dishwasher that has never worked boh but the kitchen manager had clearly began fraternizing so she got the job after 2 days. ive worked at some shady places but this is the absolute worst job ive ever had. management is a joke, horrible communication, spineless snakes.

Advice to Senior Managementquit.

Worked for BJ's Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BJ's Restaurants reviews and ratings in Newark, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BJ's Restaurants CEO Greg Trojan. All reviews posted anonymously by BJ's Restaurants employees.