BJ's Restaurants

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
3.1

Greg Trojan

Pros
  • Possibility to make good money if your a closing server (in 13 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, when working with a (literally) almost hundred other servers, easy to get a shift covered (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, crappy clientele, high turn-over thus servers are not very good (in 10 reviews)

• You have a script to follow and secret shoppers come in to grade you, if you don't say the right things you could be fired (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Bj's Brewhouse is an excellent stepping stone for those that want to continue their career as a server.

Current Employee - Food Server in Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Food Server in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about working for BJ's Restaurants is the flexibility in schedules. I often work from 5pm to 1am. Lots of room for growth within the company.

Cons

Some of the challenges with working for the company are the benefits and sometimes seasonal hours. You can work many hours during the Summer and Winter months.

I know this is a challenging opportunity for all management and I am very impressed with all management.

Great place to work, good food, good beer, good cocktails

Current Employee - FOH in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - FOH in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Team atmosphere, mAnahement team is good and works hard.

Cons

Lot of things to remember, very corporate, do not hire the brightest people which unfortunately explains why people complain about the service.

Hire more talented individuals to keep people coming in the door, mainly in FOH. Or you could just fire those who suck.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Line Cook in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

I worked at BJ's Restaurants part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You stay busy as hell.

Cons

Poor communication unless your Hispanic.

Motivate your employees better.

Nice place, great people, too many managers.

Former Employee - Front of House Server Trainer in Springdale, OH
    Former Employee - Front of House Server Trainer in Springdale, OH

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. The money. 2. The people. 3. The food. I made great money to support my family. I had great co-workers that I maintain contact with for the most part. Their food is great! Standard benefits package was nice. I do not know if they still have it but it was free as long as I worked a minimum of 33 hours and signed up for it!

Cons

Somewhat unsteady shifts. Angry guests. In the first three years went through four general managers alone. Corporate brought in a manager from outside instead of internally. Eventually the manager who should have been promoted was.

I would rate Bj's originally as an excellent employer, but it has steadily gone down hill with corporate policy's

Current Employee - Bartender in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Bartender in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I think that Bj's offers excellent flexibility and opportunity to make money. If you are a capable server or bartender you have definite opportunity to make money.

Cons

Very corporate and overall feeling that you are very replaceable and not important. Management is over worked and seems very frustrated with polices coming down to them. The overall feelings are stressful and not very fun.

Upper management needs to adjust their tactics for success. They are not encouraging and treat almost all staff as if they are replaceable and not needed. They need to create a better work environment and stop making every decision based off of stock price or analyst notes about company.

Some stores have great managers, but the company has gone very corporate in the last few years.

Former Employee - Server in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Server in Chandler, AZ

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

cash every day, great co workers, they use HotSchedules so its very easy to request time off or switch around shifts, easy to transfer. I worked in four different stores over six years

Cons

on slow days I'd leave with 15 dollars! very corporate atmosphere, always feel on edge at work

Coworkers were cool and supportive.

I worked at BJ's Restaurants

Pros

nice environment, great people to work with good tips.

Cons

Horrible discount, bad management, you had to follow a script when talking to guest.

You should back your employees more in guest related situations. You should be more attentive to the store needs and not hiding away in a room.

Seen better days. The corporate culture has taken over completely

Current Employee - Server in Chino Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Server in Chino Hills, CA

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great sense of camaraderie among team members... mgmt not so much. The pay is average but consistently getting worse with the thousands of coupons and deals we hand out wouldn't be surprised if they started giving out a coupon for the tables and chairs.

Cons

No communication whatsoever about ant menu changes or policies yet expected to abide by them. The corporation has been tightening their span of control and the atmosphere between mgmt and staff is much like a warden and inmates no trust. Within 5 years of working at the same location we have won restaurant of the year twice (a huge accomplishment supposedly) only to go through manager after manager and each new one making sure to tell us how we don't do things right...so tell me buddy, how did we get these awards then?

Quit with the revolving door in management. Whoever does the hiring please stop hiring frat boys youd find living next door to seth rogen and make sure they can actually handle the business. And if you do have to give me yet another general manager (going 5 in 5 years) make sure they have a clue or two about what they are doing

It's a fast paced job!

Former Employee - Hostess in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Hostess in Torrance, CA

I worked at BJ's Restaurants part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They give you pretty good hours. Pay is well.

Cons

Weekends can get crazy busy. Sometimes customers would be very rude. But that's working in any restaurant or customer service job.

Management was great.

BJ's is a fast paced and fun restaurant to work for.

Former Employee - Host in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Host in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at BJ's Restaurants part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked during the busy summer months, so there was always something going on, I was never bored. If you are a host, which I was, you got a free meal, every time you worked. It was a great summer job.

Cons

You could never predict how late you were going to be working, it all depended on the crowds. It was difficult to plan to do anything after work.