BJ's Restaurants

www.bjsrestaurants.com
Profile Unclaimed

Best company ive worked for

Current Employee - Service Assistant
    Current Employee - Service Assistant

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants

Pros

Great pay, great atmosphere and good hours!

Cons

Nothing bad it all seems like everything is good to me so far in this 1st year

Prestigious organization that appreciates their employees

Current Employee - Waitress in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Waitress in San Jose, CA

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Constructive relationships, quality products, STAR awards

Cons

Inconsistent team work, language barriers

Make Information regarding 401K available

Doesnt even get a one star rating!!!

Current Employee - Server in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Server in Irvine, CA

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants

Pros

Most of the severs are really awesome people and I thought most of the guests were lovely.

Cons

Unfortunately no one seems to know how to run a floor. servers standing around without a table while the hostess slam someone else station. Managers falling you around rushing u off clock then making you transfer all your tables after you have stood around for hours essentially making 15.00 on a bumping wall to wall Friday night. Potential to make money is there, but unless you belong to a small group of the privileged its almost impossible to see it. The worst thing is the ignorance of there own principles. Compassion is supposed to be one of the companies core values. I worked for the company for two years. for one year of that i started battling a serious and most likely will be fatal liver cancer. Due to medications and treatment i lost a lot of weight and developed chronic fatigue and anxiety. My guests never felt it not one guest complaint. Rather than approaching me and asking if everything was going ok i had my section and my schedule cut. When i tried to approach then i was told really dont wanna here it pull it together. i was there a year at this point. This just makes me so sad that people who see u everyday have so little compassion.

Figure out that the guest satisfaction is more important that the bottom line. Take responsibility for you floors not only when they work , but own it when they dont instead of blaming the hourly employees.

Not a bad place to start serving!

Former Employee - Server in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Round Rock, TX

I worked at BJ's Restaurants part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, team members are for the most part very nice and easy to get along with as well as management. Very easy to cover/pick up shifts with the use of your mobile phone.

Cons

Nothing out of the ordinary. Large tables can be very hectic and demanding but that's expected. A lot of servers can reduce the amount of hours you can pick up.

Lack of respect

Current Employee - Server in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Server in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Basically picking you own schedule and choosing when you want to work.

Cons

Dont get me wrong the Bj's i started off at in San Antonio was awesome. Every one was lively and did their part a a team. This location in Round Rock is so off. A bunch of slackers are somehow still employed and we run through new hires like nothing.

Take care of the employees who take care of the customers.

Hostess

Former Employee - Hostess in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Hostess in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at BJ's Restaurants part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very flexible hours, works around school schedule and willing to give imd off

Cons

Managers will easily send uu home in 2 hours if there is down time

Na

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants

Pros

Good tip only in good sections.

Cons

You will have bad days

Work hard and no one will notice outside the restaurant.

Current Employee - Team Member in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Orange, CA

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

flexibility, fun environment, most managers care for the employees. Discount when you are working or when you visit as a guest.

Cons

Very corporate, feels like the corporate leaders do not care about the restaurant employees. White shirts while serving!! No protection serving large parties they do not allow an automatic added gratuity. Health insurance requirements can not be met by the majority of employees. They over work there managers to exhaustion. High expectations but not all the tools are available to meet them. No backbone to guests. People lie and complain to get free items. Too many changes with little notice and roll outs are poorly executed.

Be more understanding of your employees. Protect them with benefits. Allow automatic gratuity on large parties. Stand behind your service even if it costs the company more money. Not fair for someone to work a large party and not be compensated correctly.

Two years I'll never get back

Former Employee - Line Cook
    Former Employee - Line Cook

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The money and hours can be decent if you are favored by the person making your schedule

Cons

So much favoritism, imbalanced workload to pay rate ratio - expect to do the work of more than one person while only getting paid for doing the work of one person; teamwork and communication are poor, no evaluations, no potential for advancement, language barriers and cultural differences create friction/division in the workplace, hours are so poor that you are forced to get a second job to supplement your income, and then penalized for it by management through scheduling cuts. From having unnecessarily complicated entree items to bad restaurant building schematics.. this place is all around confusing. I've never seen a higher restaurant turnover rate in my life.

Figure it out already and listen to the employees trying to execute your ridiculous systems, that's probably a gold mine of advice. Keep it simple.

Great company for the most part.

Current Employee - Manager in Palmdale, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to rise in the ranks is easy. Busy, fast paced.

Cons

Horrible General Manager. Corporate does not care about the many complaints from guests and team members. This man has no business running this restaurant. He fudges his numbers and lies. He never takes reaponsibilty for anything and always places blame. Guests can not stand him and the team members hate him. He bullies his staff and makes threats.

Get rid of the current General Manager and watch Palmdale BJS take off again. It really is a shame to watch this place go slowly under and not have anyone in corporate care enough to rescue it.