BJC HealthCare

BJC HealthCare Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

BJC HealthCare President and CEO Steven H. Lipstein

Steven H. Lipstein

Pros
  • Fairly easy job and decent work life balance considering it's a non-profit(in 12 reviews)

• Ability to work from home for most positions(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There really are no cons that I am aware of to working here(in 5 reviews)

• Management did not respond in a timely manner to staffing needs until work/life balance was seriously compromised(in 3 reviews)

great experience while working with bjc

Surgical Technologists (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Prosgreat hours while working with bjc

Consnone while working with bjc

Advice to Senior Managementgreat management while working with bjc

Great Place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsLarge enough to work for long-term and see SO many sides of healthcare. A great place to forge a long-term career.

ConsParking at some of the larger entities is sometimes a challenge.

Stagnant organization

Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsStill one of the highest rated hospital systems in the country, though it seems to be slipping a bit. You can feel good you are making a difference in peoples lives.

The IT systems are on very current technology for an older hospital systems.

ConsSalaries are average to low.

The health benefits are surprisingly poor for one of the top hospitals in the country.

There are too many middle managers who have become stagnant in their positions.

The doctors are prima donnas. They have too much influence over areas, they know nothing about like IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementClear out dead weight in middle management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BJC has a quality focus

Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood benefits, great managers, personal and professional growth opportunities, hire from within, very pleasant work environment, diverse workforce, great work/life balance,

ConsHiring can be very competitive due to the focus on finding the right candidate for each position. There really are no cons that I am aware of to working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening and dialoguing. Information that flows both ways is great for morale and encourages loyalty.

BJC is unfortunately a company that does not try and maintain its employees.

ProsIf there's one close to your house, go for the convenience. There are a lot of urgent cares also that BJC owns.

ConsEmployee satisfaction is not a priority. Employee engagement surveys are not taken seriously and a waste of time. Employees are not heard.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so obvious about mistreatment of employees. It's very obvious and very disconcerting. That is why turn over is high.

Professionals need not apply.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood healthcare, education, and pension benefits.

ConsNurses working as project managers, developers, trainers, etc. without skills or background, bullying non-nursing employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire professionals.

Barnes-Jewish employs some of the best staff of the World.Not afraid to be proactive and strive to reach the next level

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI think the best thing BJC has going for it is its association with Washington University.

ConsNot consistent with pain management. Nurses have to work through breaks and our often over staffed. Not good for a top hospital even though staffing really made an effort to stand out with JACHO and Magnet representatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementPoor morale. Hear of CEO with bonuses but find staff have to work through breaks despite 12 hour mandatory shifts. ER wait needs improved. Better coordination with discharged patients to prevent readmission.

Biomedical Engineer

ProsAlways different day to day

ConsSome travel expenses are involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore structure

Great place!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLeaders are well equipped to lead the organization. My boss was totally awesome. I couldn't have asked for better.

ConsI don't have anything negative to share about the company at this time, I was very happy with my employment here.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have any advice to give to management at this time, I was very happy with my employment here.

Times are tough, but think long and hard before working for this company's I.T. department.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has great benefits and is very good about letting you have vacation time when you want it, as well as not giving you grief if you have an immediate family or medical need to be off of work.

ConsIf you're into being micro managed, this is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with the same respect that you think that you deserve.

Worked for BJC HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!