BJC HealthCare

BJC HealthCare Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

BJC HealthCare President and CEO Steven H. Lipstein

Steven H. Lipstein

Pros
  • Fairly easy job and decent work life balance considering it's a non-profit(in 12 reviews)

• Ability to work from home for most positions(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There really are no cons that I am aware of to working here(in 5 reviews)

• Management did not respond in a timely manner to staffing needs until work/life balance was seriously compromised(in 3 reviews)

I have had a very positive experience at BJC I would definitely recommend it to my peers.

Pct (Current Employee) Alton, IL

ProsGood insurance, positive work envirnment. The staff are really nice and helpful. It seems that there would be lots of room for improvement to grow within this company so I'm glad that I have the opportunity to be apart of such a nice company.

ConsThe benefits here at BJC are ok if you work full time but unfortunately I only work part time so I only qualify for certain benefits but I'm not complaining. There is only mostly 12 hours shifts which could be a downfall to some but I don't mind working just three days a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they are good people they are always around to ask questions if need be they are very involved with the growth and development of the hospital.

Working in healthcare is not a stable workplace.

ProsMany excellent co-workers willing to share knowledge. Opportunities for advanced learning.
    Organization is doing many great things to advance medicine.

ConsExtremely slow in getting decisions from senior leaders.
    Open positions take a very long time to fill.
    Management incentives far exceed the merit increases seen by the work staff.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Desktop Support Technician

Desktop Technician (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsBenefits are normal, however they may be cut in the future due to the decline of payments healthcare receives.

ConsLow pay compared to other like companies. Promotions are only given if a spot opens up, not based on the job you perform. Decline in job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what you can to keep your good people, get rid of the dead weight.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Everyone is replaceable.

Senior Radiation Therapist (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe opportunity to have exposure to a variety of cutting-edge technology, work with great people and patients.

ConsPoor staffing & retention rate, employees feel unappreciated, employees feel that their voices and opinions are not heard by management,

Heading in the wrong direction

Technical Specialist (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsWork/Life Balance programs are new and helping

ConsSub-market compensation Disastrous IT Leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementFire 75% of IT Leadership Director and above

Manager

Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsCompensation, benefits, good process improvement resources

ConsLimited room for growth-very male-centric, long hours, cumbersome hiring process

Advice to Senior ManagementReview on boarding process for leaders

good experience

Prosgood working environment, great experience, nice people

Consno cons at this moment

Advice to Senior Managementdo not have much opinion

Supervisor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany great employees, benefits, 401k match, pension. Top doctors. Nice facilities. Free parking. Good vacation time. Tuition remission. Yearly employee satisfaction survey. Opportunities too be within organization.

ConsPassive-aggressive management, once job started management had no recollection of recruitment discussions including incentivizing promises. If a project gets a budget it will be implemented regardless of the readiness of staff or processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are a lot of great people working for BJC just trying to do the right thing. Don't underestimate their ethical commitment or undermine their credibility. Don't overload them and push beyond reasonable workload that is how you lose good people. People don't leave jobs, they leave bad managers.

Great Co-Workers

ProsCo-workers- wonderful caring people work here.

ConsUnderstaffing- nurses are frequently put on call even though it leaves the others with unsafe ratios

Advice to Senior ManagementPatient satisfaction scores would go up if the nurses were not understaffed

DO NOT work in IT on contract at this place.

Contractor (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsCan't think of anything that was any good

ConsLow pay
    IT manager who is over the Windows 7 migrations was the worst I have ever dealt with in my 21+ years
    Talked down to by the manager
    All the employees of this manager (Perm and Contractor) voiced their dislike of her and told me on many occasions they were miserable there.
    The entire project was completely mis managed and unorganized.
    You were expected to find you way around this hospital alone and most of the employees didn't know where all the service and non public hallways were.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the manager. I have no idea how she was let into this position but she has no business being there.

Worked for BJC HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!