BJC HealthCare

BJC HealthCare Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

BJC HealthCare President and CEO Steven H. Lipstein

Steven H. Lipstein

Pros
  • Fairly easy job and decent work life balance considering it's a non-profit(in 12 reviews)

• Ability to work from home for most positions(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There really are no cons that I am aware of to working here(in 5 reviews)

• Management did not respond in a timely manner to staffing needs until work/life balance was seriously compromised(in 3 reviews)

Heading in the wrong direction

Technical Specialist (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsWork/Life Balance programs are new and helping

ConsSub-market compensation Disastrous IT Leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementFire 75% of IT Leadership Director and above

DO NOT work in IT on contract at this place.

Contractor (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsCan't think of anything that was any good

ConsLow pay
    IT manager who is over the Windows 7 migrations was the worst I have ever dealt with in my 21+ years
    Talked down to by the manager
    All the employees of this manager (Perm and Contractor) voiced their dislike of her and told me on many occasions they were miserable there.
    The entire project was completely mis managed and unorganized.
    You were expected to find you way around this hospital alone and most of the employees didn't know where all the service and non public hallways were.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the manager. I have no idea how she was let into this position but she has no business being there.

BJC is unfortunately a company that does not try and maintain its employees.

ProsIf there's one close to your house, go for the convenience. There are a lot of urgent cares also that BJC owns.

ConsEmployee satisfaction is not a priority. Employee engagement surveys are not taken seriously and a waste of time. Employees are not heard.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so obvious about mistreatment of employees. It's very obvious and very disconcerting. That is why turn over is high.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professionals need not apply.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood healthcare, education, and pension benefits.

ConsNurses working as project managers, developers, trainers, etc. without skills or background, bullying non-nursing employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire professionals.

Times are tough, but think long and hard before working for this company's I.T. department.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has great benefits and is very good about letting you have vacation time when you want it, as well as not giving you grief if you have an immediate family or medical need to be off of work.

ConsIf you're into being micro managed, this is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with the same respect that you think that you deserve.

WWathWwathc out for the contracting staff

Contract Manager (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsWasn't there long enough to realize any.

ConsI was hired in a Contract Manager....a job that appears to be always open. There is a reason for that. The contract office is mainly women. If they don't like you, they will trump up something to get rid of you...in my case it was that I made a sexually offensive comment to someone then laughed in their face when they supposedly confronted me about it. I always addressed everyone as "yes Ma'am...no, Ma'am....yes, sir...no sir." I never used profanity. But I ran afoul of the mostly female contracting staff. And when they were firing me I asked the to tell me what I supposedly said and who I said it to. They refused to answer either question.

Incompetent non-technical management can not lead IT/IS departments and succeed.

Technical Specialist (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsFlexible schedules. They try to offer a work / life balance. Generally nice people to work with.

ConsToo many politics.
    Non-technical management.
    40% below market pay in most positions within IS.
    Lack of following industry best practices, especially in security.
    Bad architecture design.

Advice to Senior ManagementAn overhaul is needed. Higher technical managers to manage technical people. Remove the political machine that drives you here. Align better director structures to remove the silo style of management. Pay staff market value. Pay exceptionally qualified staff above market to retain them.Fix the non-standard architecture that the company runs on. Do not promote just because someone has tenure, promote because of skills and the ability to lead. Stop looking down on those who have passion in their work.

Don't Walk, Run Away, Far Far Away!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Pros• Reliable paycheck
    • Available Parking
    • Benefits OK (Not as great as one would expect from a HealthCare organization - see cons)

Cons• Recruiter misled in interview process as to future office upkeep - promised would have full control of office and staff similar to independent facility which has not happened
    • Impossible to terminate bad-performing staff
    • Good-performing staff difficult to keep due to low salaries and inability to terminate other staff
    • Management is made up of a revolving door of ill-trained people.
    • EMR is slow, clunky, unattractive and infrequently updated
    • Benefits are not as good as my spouse who works outside of healthcare

Advice to Senior ManagementThey don't accept advice. Every time suggestions are given, they are ignored.
    Competent and honost leadership go a long way. Try it.

Hindsight...wish I had been more inquisitive in my quest for employment.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsWide variety of facilities and areas to work in as an RN. Overall as a company, they seem to genuinely care about their employee's well being. Benefits and salary appear to be competitive, especially for RN's relatively new to the profession.

ConsInconsistancies in training/orientation; the experience can vary dramatically from individual to individual. Higher nurse to patient ratios than those the facility advertises to potential RN employees both increases RN stress level and decreases RN job satisfaction- both will eventually adversely affect patient care. Nurse against nurse violence is also a bit of a problem, depending on where you work.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees will work much harder if the facilities for which they work try harder to keep their promises to employees. Additionally, policies should be uniformly applied to everyone; the sporadic enforcement of various policies and standards, almost on a whim, is both demoralizing and confusing to staff.

IT Leadership causing a hostile environment

Project Manager (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsRewarding to be part of helping people
    Multiple technologies, very diverse
    Great work enviorment / facilities
    Access to top medical facilities

ConsIT leadership encourages bullies
    Thow staff under the bus
    Target employees and run them to the ground
    No work/life balance
    Expected to work 50/60 hours continuously
    Manage with fear and intimidation
    Poor morale
    CIO needs to retire, in over his head
    Evaluation process poor
    Promotion process a popularity contest

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house at leadership level
    Get rid of bullies
    Adopt zero tolerance policy for agressive managers
    Overhaul your hiring and evalution processes

Worked for BJC HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!