BJC HealthCare

BJC HealthCare Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

BJC HealthCare President and CEO Steven H. Lipstein

Steven H. Lipstein

Pros
  • Fairly easy job and decent work life balance considering it's a non-profit (in 12 reviews)

• Ability to work from home for most positions (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There really are no cons that I am aware of to working here (in 5 reviews)

• Management did not respond in a timely manner to staffing needs until work/life balance was seriously compromised (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Very prestigous place to work!

Senior Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsTuition reimbursement
    Competative pay rate
    Nice benefits

ConsSome people can be grumpy

Advice to Senior ManagementTake input from employees when changing policies

Pro's Outweigh The Cons

Project Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsSatisfaction derived by improving business operations and ultimately patient care.
    Opportunity to move into different roles within the organization.
    Upper Management kept a close pulse on key initiatives that impacted all facilities.
    Diversity of work.

ConsPolitical environment within the organization often hindered job effectiveness.
    Management did not respond in a timely manner to staffing needs until work/life balance was seriously compromised.

Great place to work, great co workers

ProsGreat atmosphere to work in

ConsI have no cons right now

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work!

Prosgreat people,very humane enviroment

Conspay is not as competitive as it could be

Advice to Senior Managementmore ops for business people

decent

Staff RN (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsIt is a large company with a lot of opportunity. There are Nursing careers all across the spectrum.

ConsBeing such a monstrous healthcare system you could feel lost in the crowd. Some people really like working for small companies and having one on one contact with upper management. In the 2 BJC hospitals I have worked in, the presidents have come floor to floor to have quarterly meetings with floor employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the point of care service. If you expect Excellent service, you need to provide the right staff and tools for that staff. Nurses and techs need to have a reasonable patient load to be able to care for them in a way that results in excellent care. It is hard to make your patients feel special if you have 6 of them.

GOOD

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe best reason to work at BJC is the insurance is good. They also have good training and give a good amount of vacation.

ConsWork life balance is a con for working with BJC. It seems that you can never get away from e-mail.

A very enlightening experience.

ProsMany collaborating environments.
    Opportunities to learn, develop and enrich your career.
    A great feeling to know the work you do ultimately helps patients and families.

ConsThere are inconsistencies with how managers handle staff input. Some managers create an environment to have open discussions and decision-making and others say they are while their actions show quite a different picture. The perception is that minimal to no consequences occur for the lack of this skill set. Once enough staff leave the manager is finally dealt with; however at that point the organization has lost valuable assets in the people resources they had developed. In my opinion, this impedes a good organization from becoming a great one.

I enjoyed working with BJC and learned a lot.

Intern (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsBJC has strong leadership with positive office culture. It has great infrastructure with opportunities for learning and advancement in career.

ConsWorkload is heavy and at times difficult to meet deadlines. Salary is not that great but it is compensated by other benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership of my department was great and very positive on the professional and personal growth of their employees. I had a great time at BJC.

I like my job

Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Prosi have flexibillity in my current job. i am challenged daily but supported in my role.

ConsI don't like it when we are asked to do our work with out nursing support, I feel it is unsafe and unfair to the clients.

Challenging opportunities, good work environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood benefits package, plenty of work available in the IT department, opportunity for growth, good work/life balance.

ConsInconsistent project procedures across work groups, poor pay raise schedule.

Worked for BJC HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!