BJC HealthCare

Updated December 7, 2014
3.1

BJC HealthCare President and CEO Steven H. Lipstein
Steven H. Lipstein

Pros
  • The company provides good work-life balance through flex time and alternative work environment (in 15 reviews)

• Ability to work from home for most positions (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There really are no cons that I am aware of to working here (in 5 reviews)

• Management did not respond in a timely manner to staffing needs until work/life balance was seriously compromised (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Our department gets along well, it's almost like a family. We try and take care of each other (for the most part).

Current Employee - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at BJC HealthCare

Pros

--Nice people, friendly.
    --Lots of opportunities for advancement or movement without loosing pention.

Cons

Healthcare benefits aren't as good as they should be (being a hospital)

Revamp the healthcare benefits.

BJC review

Current Employee - Performance Improvement Consultant
    Current Employee - Performance Improvement Consultant

I have been working at BJC HealthCare

Pros

Great opportunities, open communication, I always know what to expect, very cohesive team

Cons

salary is lower than I would expect

Benefits could be better and salary should be higher

Good work environment, but benefits were terrible.

Former Employee - Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at BJC HealthCare

Pros

Great boss and coworkers. Knowledge sharing was helpful and many interesting projects to work on. Management was supportive and moral seemed good to me.

Cons

Benefits were few and vacation days were a bare minimum to start (13 days), although it improved if you stayed for decades. Holidays were not given and were taken from vacation days.

Continue rewarding employees as much as possible. A better benefits package like vacation days could entice better employees and encourage new people to stay.

BJC Healthcare

Current Employee - Manager, Instructional Design and Development in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at BJC HealthCare

Pros

BJC is one of the leaders in the nation in Healthcare.

Cons

BJC Healthcare has a very unique culture.

When we promote clinicians for a job well done, we need to develop their management and leadership competencies.

Great Company, But as other state...IT Dept has very low salary and promotions are NOT given based on abilities, usually

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at BJC HealthCare

Pros

Tons of Vacation
    Nice benefits
    proud work enironment
    VERY stable...no layoffs

Cons

low salary
    very political
    everything else is great

Promote based on abailities, not politics. Obviously, this does not apply to all managers, but definitely some. The IT department has issues because is cannot retain its more skilled analysts. Please fix this. Make sarlaries more competitive, promote people when they deserve it. They might stay. People will work for less money if they are recognized for what they do well.

BJC is a great place to work

Former Employee - Human Resources in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at BJC HealthCare

Pros

Location, Great Place work and give a sense of giving back. When you think of your professional experience the next thing to think about is where you want to deliver your gifts from. BJC is a healthcare environment and business that allows you to do what you enjoy as well as giving back to your community. You have the sense of doing good through your professional deeds. As an employee you get a big discount on the food which is a plus and a savings. Your choices of where to eat on the main campus like Childrens or Barnes Jewish, Queeny Tower, etc.

Cons

Chain of command can make development impossible in some areas. There can be favoritism at times or being on the good list gets you where you want to go. There was no evidence of development paths or career ladders from which to choose. Hospitals can still be territorial in nature and often times still operating in a silo mentality. Parking can also be a big issue and depending on your location you may park and be required to walk or shuttle to your destination. Turnover can make a big difference as well when you need to rely of on support for the work that needs to get done and good patient care.

More recognition for its people

BJC is not bad, as far as large corporations go.

Former Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at BJC HealthCare

Pros

BJC Healthcare is unusual, in my experience, for a large company. Senior management is actually competent. In fact, the few members of management (director level and above) that I regularly dealt with are some of the smartest and most focused people that I have worked with. One VP in particular is good. He is the head of the Center for Healthcare Quality and Effectiveness. He tends to have good insight into whatever project is being worked on, or whatever problem is at hand.
    Please don't think that I normally praise the quality of senior management. Of the four professional jobs I've had, BJC definitely has the highest quality management. In fact the other 3 companies have ranged from moderately okay to abyssmally incompetent.

Cons

It is a large corporation that has a feel of a large corporation. There are a lot of rules and plenty of people that will complain if you break any of the rules. For instance, the dress code is fairly strict (business casual), but you can occasionally get away with nice jeans. But if you're meeting with certain people and it isn't a Friday, you better be careful to dress nicely or you will hear about it.
    As in any large corporation, there are plenty of people who just aren't good at their jobs. They attained their position through a combination of tenure and politics, and they don't seem to get weeded out very efficiently.
    Also, annual reviews are done in a "peer review" style, where all members of a department critique the work of their fellow employees. I personally am not comfortable doing that.

The organization is generally well run. But of course you could make improvements. For instance, it has an increasing feeling of slow-moving irrelevance. Despite constant improvements to the buildings (and creation of new buildings), a lot of them just feel outdated. They could use a brightening up or a designer's touch; something to make them feel lively and modern.

The work is interesting if you don't mind crappy benefits and sub-par pay, but the people are wonderful to work with.

Current Employee - Corporate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Corporate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at BJC HealthCare

Pros

There is a lot of work and my managers are very helpful and want to make sure you have what you need to get your job done.

Cons

The pay and the benefits are terrible. For a hospital, you'd think the healthcare would be better, but it's dismal. 401k contributions are abysmal. The way it is worked out is based on a chart depending on years worked and your position, so there is little chance this will get any better.

Pay better so we can afford to get better healthcare. Make it so we don't have to go to the one pharmacy in Missouri that you support to get our medicine. You pay extra to go to Walgreens, but with gas prices the way they are, it just might even out.

BJC is a great place to work, with some small caveats

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at BJC HealthCare

Pros

The company offers great flex-time options - both in terms of workday hours, and various work-from-home or 'compressed weeks' where you work 9 or 10 hour days, and then get a day off every other week or every week. There is a wide variety of groups and departments to work for, so there is always something to do. Everyone is very helpful and willing to share knowledge.

Cons

The company is so large, it's easy to feel overwhelmed by it all. Some teams touch every product, and must be (somewhat) knowledgeable on all of them. Being a healthcare industry, there are many teams who must provide 24/7 support.

With all vacation, sick time and Holidays rolled into one pool, total time off is less than at other companies. And, the first year it's awful hard to take all the holidays off you would otherwise get.

Raises tend to be small, and promotions seem to be rare. How these are determined are somewhat mysterious as well.

Overall, I like much of what they do, and how they do it. Steve is very visible both here and in the community. The CTO gives presentations twice a year, which is great.

Leadership is not what it used to be....

I have been working at BJC HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nurses are wonderful, caring, and hard working.

Cons

Leadership is more interested in "how they look" than doing actual work.
    Nurses are under appreciated.

Clean house.