BJC HealthCare

www.bjc.org
Employer Engaged

A Great place to work.!!!

Current Employee - Buyer
    Current Employee - Buyer

I have been working at BJC HealthCare

Pros

Freedom to do what you do
    Able to comment on issues without retaliation
    My Boss is AMAZING
    This company does alot of good works for the public.

Cons

Domestic Partner benefit rules are TERRIBLE
    Some departments management dont have a clue.
    Any Large company will have some sort of politics. This is no exception.
    In this economy, Raises are terrible.
    Job description does not match job.

HR should Lose the rule that a domestic Partner has to have their name on a home. There are straight couples who do not have both names on a home. Its 2011 Illinois passed Civil Unions, but that does not help Missouri Employees. You should follow the Illinois rules. BJC use to be ahead of the curve. No more.

Great Company, actual job quality depends on what unit you work on and how satisfied the nurses are.

Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at BJC HealthCare

Pros

Great benefits
    Tuition paid for
    Career Advancement

Cons

Very high nurse to patient ratio on medicne/general med floors which leads to unhappy nurses, which also then leads to unhappy techs, secretaries, etc. Stressful environment

It's better to be overstaffed than understaffed!

BJC Positive place to work

I worked at BJC HealthCare

Pros

Depends on the job you are doing. I worked in the professional arena and it was a great place to work.

Cons

Typical red-tape challenges you would expect in a large organization.

Continue to communicate direction and positive spirit

Good Employer

Current Employee - Finance/Audit in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Finance/Audit in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at BJC HealthCare

Pros

Good work life balance, the pay is fair (especially considering the current financial crisis) and the benefits aren't bad. The pay might be bit below market but the atmosphere makes up for it.

Cons

I believe the organization is a little too "progressive" towards a person's healthcare choices. After all, it is (or at least used to be) a free country. For example, the manadatory flu shot. BUT...BJC is a healthcare organization...so...I guess that's their job.

Keep up the good work. I may not agree with everything...BUT...the organization is in good shape and provides good healthcare services.

Our department gets along well, it's almost like a family. We try and take care of each other (for the most part).

Current Employee - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at BJC HealthCare

Pros

--Nice people, friendly.
    --Lots of opportunities for advancement or movement without loosing pention.

Cons

Healthcare benefits aren't as good as they should be (being a hospital)

Revamp the healthcare benefits.

BJC review

Current Employee - Performance Improvement Consultant
    Current Employee - Performance Improvement Consultant

I have been working at BJC HealthCare

Pros

Great opportunities, open communication, I always know what to expect, very cohesive team

Cons

salary is lower than I would expect

Benefits could be better and salary should be higher

Good work environment, but benefits were terrible.

Former Employee - Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at BJC HealthCare

Pros

Great boss and coworkers. Knowledge sharing was helpful and many interesting projects to work on. Management was supportive and moral seemed good to me.

Cons

Benefits were few and vacation days were a bare minimum to start (13 days), although it improved if you stayed for decades. Holidays were not given and were taken from vacation days.

Continue rewarding employees as much as possible. A better benefits package like vacation days could entice better employees and encourage new people to stay.

BJC Healthcare

Current Employee - Manager, Instructional Design and Development in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at BJC HealthCare

Pros

BJC is one of the leaders in the nation in Healthcare.

Cons

BJC Healthcare has a very unique culture.

When we promote clinicians for a job well done, we need to develop their management and leadership competencies.

Great Company, But as other state...IT Dept has very low salary and promotions are NOT given based on abilities, usually

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at BJC HealthCare

Pros

Tons of Vacation
    Nice benefits
    proud work enironment
    VERY stable...no layoffs

Cons

low salary
    very political
    everything else is great

Promote based on abailities, not politics. Obviously, this does not apply to all managers, but definitely some. The IT department has issues because is cannot retain its more skilled analysts. Please fix this. Make sarlaries more competitive, promote people when they deserve it. They might stay. People will work for less money if they are recognized for what they do well.

BJC is a great place to work

Former Employee - Human Resources in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at BJC HealthCare

Pros

Location, Great Place work and give a sense of giving back. When you think of your professional experience the next thing to think about is where you want to deliver your gifts from. BJC is a healthcare environment and business that allows you to do what you enjoy as well as giving back to your community. You have the sense of doing good through your professional deeds. As an employee you get a big discount on the food which is a plus and a savings. Your choices of where to eat on the main campus like Childrens or Barnes Jewish, Queeny Tower, etc.

Cons

Chain of command can make development impossible in some areas. There can be favoritism at times or being on the good list gets you where you want to go. There was no evidence of development paths or career ladders from which to choose. Hospitals can still be territorial in nature and often times still operating in a silo mentality. Parking can also be a big issue and depending on your location you may park and be required to walk or shuttle to your destination. Turnover can make a big difference as well when you need to rely of on support for the work that needs to get done and good patient care.

More recognition for its people