BKD

Be The First To
Add Photos

BKD Partner & CEO Ted Dickman

Ted Dickman

Pros
  • 19 an hour, no work-life balance, they trusted each intern (in 3 reviews)

• Good experience, knowledgeable partners (until mandatory retirement), lots of training during the first year (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The long hours are hard to deal with during busy season (in 6 reviews)

• Also, the staff is not very diverse like a Big 4 (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience, that's it

Staff Auditor (Former Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsGood experience
    Sink or swim mentality teaches you to think for yourself, as no one is going to help guide you beyond week one of training
    Nice comraderie among peers

ConsCompany's approach to recruiting is hiring to fire. You have just a couple months to prove your worth and receive no training. If you ask too many questions, you are immediately viewed as weaker than your peers and run a huge risk of being let go. If you are a strong performer, you also run a risk of being let go, as rather than own up to its recruiting mistakes (i.e. hiring too many), when times get tough management's philosophy is to unload staff as quickly as possible. BKD is not a great place to work, so usually those that don't get fired quit pretty quickly anyway. If you have a family or want a life outside of work, forget it. Informing them that you prefer less travel known is like career suicide. BKD is also very inflexible with working hours. Other public accounting firms are flexible in that it is about getting your work done at any time of the day, but BKD is very rigid - wants you there from exactly 8:00 to exactly 5:00 with a one hour lunch from 12:00 to 1:00. They frown upon you leaving at 4:00 on a Friday, even if you have already put in 60 hours for the week. Much of the travel is for two week jobs, and they also frown upon you coming home on the weekend, which is also different from a lot of firms. Most managers and partners are rude and act like they are above talking to staff. Technology is horrible (i.e. computer crashings and Excel time sheets, paper billing, etc.).

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire to fire - recruit the correct people and the correct number of people. Take a look at your cheap and inflexible employment practices.

Unerappreciated and overworked

Administrative Staff (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

Prospay was decent and generous on holidays

ConsNO TRAINING at all, everything is about having 100% charge time. Worked 5 years, number of employees in my dept drastically reduced. No one was hired to replace, dumped 6 people's jobs on 4 of us, never a thank you for extra effort. 90% of employees won't raise their head to say hello in passing. Very miserable place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain people if you want them to be succesful. Smile once in awhile, I don't think your face will break.

You don't want to work here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe staff people are loyal to a fault. BKD doesn't deserve them.

ConsTax Group Partners are nitpicking and control freaks. Staff and Seniors are forced to deal with partners instead of managers because they are too cheap to hire managers and they managers they do hire don't stay.
    Extremely high turnover.
    The cheapest/tight fisted firm I've ever worked for. They don't bring in meals during tax season.
    They will work you to death and throw you away.
    Training is joke! One Great Week is One Big Joke. It's all "look how great we are" and hardly any technical training.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvise to partners is go do something else. You're no go at this.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You work to make the partners rich.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Little Rock, AR

ProsStarting pay is great compared to other places if you are coming right out of college.

ConsPretty much everyone supervisor and above will screw you. You work to make the partners rich. Raises are as low as 1% and any chance BKD gets to screw you out of money they will. They will even go so low as to not pay you back for business related expenses. Heard horror stories of people getting stuck with $1200.00+ that BKD came up with stupid excuses to not pay back. Training sucked. I was never trained at all while I was there, it was just expected I would figure it out as I went along which is fine except I was a staff working alone.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves so new people can take over and run the place right. You all are worse than congress.

It was good until the firm started to focus on partner profits at the expense of a quality practice.

Senior Accountant (Former Employee)

ProsYou get a lot of experience in the field.You don't have to travel much. It's a job in a bad economy.

ConsIn my opinion, the firm focuses on partner profits at the expense of training its staff and providing the quality of services it is capable of providing. Also, the staff is not very diverse like a Big 4.

A great place if you want to be underpaid and overworked for the rest of your life.

Audit Supervisor (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsThis is a good place to start in public accounting for a year or two to gain some experience, but if you have ambition, energy and skills you will quickly learn that your skills and energy will only be used to make the partners rich while you work your rear end off. There is a lot of propaganda about it being a Best Place to Work and on and on. Hilarious.

ConsThe only people that matter at BKD is the partners. It's all about partner compensation and earnings. The benefits are terrible. Morale was terrible. I saw many talented and ambitious people leave the firm.

It's a place of the haves and have nots. If you're a partner, you're a "have" and if you are a manager, senior manager, or staff you are a "have not." Leaving BKD was a good decision. The work environment is political and not based on merit or a person's contributions to client service, engagement realization or technical assets. I have never worked so hard for so little.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is not worth my energy.

Run, Run Far, Run Fast

Audit Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIt's a job. I sit in an office and don't have to work outside in the snow or heat. It's a job.

ConsI have never seen any service business that treats their employees as bad as this firm. If you can get a job ANYWHERE else, take it. This firm has poor leadership, horrendous client service, virtually no benefits, no training, no promotion opportunities and will do anything to screw their employees out of money. Everytime you think you've seen everything that can be done to screw an employee out of something, they'll think of something else to screw you. Whether it is disallowing expense reimbursements, have a happy hour where you buy your own drinks, they will think of something to screw you. This firm is concerned about one thing and nothing else: partner compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat difference does it make? They won't listen to advise from anybody anywhere. The only people they listen to are home grown people who have never left Springfield, Missouri.

BKD

Staff Accountant (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood office location, young staff , many diverse clients to work with, plenty of hours in the office to work on projects

ConsLong Hours, lackluster pay, poor performance reviews, mediocre benefits,

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on developing from within, not just hiring for busy season

Okay place to start your career, but you'll burnout within 2 years there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsYou will learn a lot, and be exposed to a lot of different things
    Your peers are a lot of fun and a great professional resource

ConsPartners have a hard time relating to staff level people and some don't even know their staff's name
    Compensation and benefits - not comparable to other competitor firms
    Scheduling of resources is terrible - there are some that are really busy at all times and others that struggle to find work during the slower months.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease start treating employees better. Something as simple as a yearly bonus will go a long way. Employees there feel overworked and under appreciated. A little bit of monetary appreciation will help you retain your best staff.

Senior Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood experience and a good company culture

ConsLow salaries, incompetent partners, lack of an effective strategy to compete in the market

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to reward your top performers. Empower your employees to contribute to the bottom line.

Worked for BKD? Contribute to the Community!