BKD Reviews

Reset
3.3
BKD Partner & CEO Ted Dickman
Ted Dickman

Pros
  • Working with very talented individuals and learn a lot as a first year staff (in 5 reviews)

• They often promote from within so there are many opportunities for advancement (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The long hours are hard to deal with during busy season (in 7 reviews)

• Long hours, pay is relatively low but this goes with the territory (in 7 reviews)

Senior Manager

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at BKD

Pros

Don't bother to apply for work here if you are female or have a background in IT Audit.

Cons

Lowest salaries in middle-tier public accounting. No upward mobility for females. Misogynistic culture which is encouraged from CEO down to janitorial staff.

Advice to Management

Get a clue

Terrible

I have been working at BKD

Pros

Great CEO and HR. No one really cares about you at all.

Cons

Partners are clueless; expectations never discussed just assigned. Spent way too much time just trying to exist. Long hours doing senseless duties. No training of systems in training provide. HR training of new hires useless.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with employees and be honest in interviews. Training of systems non-existent.

Sr. Manager

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at BKD full-time

Pros

While BKD seems proficient at their core audit & tax practices, ancillary service offerings are treated as second class and will be given away to secure audit & tax service. The they'll ask why you realization is down???

Cons

No work life balance, they want to own your entire existence. They'll tell you they don't, but not the case. Average partner comp was $650K+ when I was there and they do not want to share with their staff. Non-partner comp tops out between $175 - $200K, that's quite a disparity. Our practice was being led by someone that was not an expert in the area and didn't "get it" for how work was priced in other practices. He has successfully chased off everyone in the practice and now has to rebuild.

Advice to Management

Turn down the greed meter a bit and share the wealth more. Knowing what the comp disparity is does not motivate staff when only the partners benefit from your extra work.

No respect

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at BKD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learned a lot over the years

Cons

No care for hard workers, no ability to fire those that don't do their work. No respect for anyone who's been around awhile. Pay is terrible

Advice to Management

Come into this century and pay your people. You might keep your A players.

Not a right place to stay

I have been working at BKD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible working schedules and time-off plicy

Cons

high turnover rate specially in slow season

Good experience, that's it

Former Employee - Staff Auditor in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Staff Auditor in Springfield, MO

I worked at BKD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good experience
    Sink or swim mentality teaches you to think for yourself, as no one is going to help guide you beyond week one of training
    Nice comraderie among peers

Cons

Company's approach to recruiting is hiring to fire. You have just a couple months to prove your worth and receive no training. If you ask too many questions, you are immediately viewed as weaker than your peers and run a huge risk of being let go. If you are a strong performer, you also run a risk of being let go, as rather than own up to its recruiting mistakes (i.e. hiring too many), when times get tough management's philosophy is to unload staff as quickly as possible. BKD is not a great place to work, so usually those that don't get fired quit pretty quickly anyway. If you have a family or want a life outside of work, forget it. Informing them that you prefer less travel known is like career suicide. BKD is also very inflexible with working hours. Other public accounting firms are flexible in that it is about getting your work done at any time of the day, but BKD is very rigid - wants you there from exactly 8:00 to exactly 5:00 with a one hour lunch from 12:00 to 1:00. They frown upon you leaving at 4:00 on a Friday, even if you have already put in 60 hours for the week. Much of the travel is for two week jobs, and they also frown upon you coming home on the weekend, which is also different from a lot of firms. Most managers and partners are rude and act like they are above talking to staff. Technology is horrible (i.e. computer crashings and Excel time sheets, paper billing, etc.).

Advice to Management

Don't hire to fire - recruit the correct people and the correct number of people. Take a look at your cheap and inflexible employment practices.

8. Unerappreciated and overworked

Former Employee - Administrative Staff in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Administrative Staff in Kansas City, MO

I worked at BKD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

pay was decent and generous on holidays

Cons

NO TRAINING at all, everything is about having 100% charge time. Worked 5 years, number of employees in my dept drastically reduced. No one was hired to replace, dumped 6 people's jobs on 4 of us, never a thank you for extra effort. 90% of employees won't raise their head to say hello in passing. Very miserable place to work.

Advice to Management

Train people if you want them to be succesful. Smile once in awhile, I don't think your face will break.

You don't want to work here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at BKD full-time

Pros

The staff people are loyal to a fault. BKD doesn't deserve them.

Cons

Tax Group Partners are nitpicking and control freaks. Staff and Seniors are forced to deal with partners instead of managers because they are too cheap to hire managers and they managers they do hire don't stay.
    Extremely high turnover.
    The cheapest/tight fisted firm I've ever worked for. They don't bring in meals during tax season.
    They will work you to death and throw you away.
    Training is joke! One Great Week is One Big Joke. It's all "look how great we are" and hardly any technical training.

Advice to Management

Advise to partners is go do something else. You're no go at this.

You work to make the partners rich.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

I worked at BKD

Pros

Starting pay is great compared to other places if you are coming right out of college.

Cons

Pretty much everyone supervisor and above will screw you. You work to make the partners rich. Raises are as low as 1% and any chance BKD gets to screw you out of money they will. They will even go so low as to not pay you back for business related expenses. Heard horror stories of people getting stuck with $1200.00+ that BKD came up with stupid excuses to not pay back. Training sucked. I was never trained at all while I was there, it was just expected I would figure it out as I went along which is fine except I was a staff working alone.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves so new people can take over and run the place right. You all are worse than congress.

11. It was good until the firm started to focus on partner profits at the expense of a quality practice.

Former Employee - Senior Accountant
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant

I worked at BKD

Pros

You get a lot of experience in the field.You don't have to travel much. It's a job in a bad economy.

Cons

In my opinion, the firm focuses on partner profits at the expense of training its staff and providing the quality of services it is capable of providing. Also, the staff is not very diverse like a Big 4.

RSS Feed </> Embed