BMC Reviews

1. Overall a good company to work for

Current Employee - Driver in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Driver in Boise, ID

I have been working at BMC

Pros

Lots of hours, good benefits, good people. Great company picnics. Lots of locations throughout the country if wanting to transfer

Cons

The pay is not as good as same job title at other places, no Christmas bonus, trucks aren't serviced as often as they should be

Advice to Management

None

I wish I was a good enough writer to capture my thoughts at how bad this place is

Former Employee - IT Department in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - IT Department in Boise, ID

I worked at BMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free M&Ms and the downtown location. And knowing you'll never work for a more backwards organization. Work/Life balance good. Any motivation or innovation will be systematically squashed eventually.

Cons

I've been in the workforce for almost 30 years. I've worked at a couple of Fortune 500 companies, some startups, and as a consultant. I've been truly blessed to learn from some amazing managers, co-workers, scientists, and engineers. Not one of these people worked at BMC. I have left every single job I've been at with a good amount of notice, and worked hard to finish strong during my transition. I never wanted to burn any bridges, and this includes BMC, so I'm hesitant to sound like sour grapes with how scathing this will turn out to be. At best, the BMC Corporate office was like the Island of Misfit toys. The majority of the people were absolutely miscast in their roles. The majority of the IT managers when I worked there had never even been in IT--their careers were based in Accounting, or Sales. None of them exuded any sort of leadership. None of them were innovative. Most of them hadn't ever worked outside of BMC. My thought is that those that couldn't get jobs outside of BMC during the bankruptcy are the ones that stayed. And got promoted? Unreal. A few of the managers did have actual It experience, but they were completely miscast in the roles they were in. Technical people who were terrible leaders and had no idea how to interact with people were put in positions of high management. People with no previous infrastructure background were given management roles. When you have no clue at your current role, I would think you would at least hire people that you can trust to fill skills beneath you, and then let them do it. In IT, the running joke was that the CIO wanted no one smarter than them to be able to question their ineptitude. This flowed down. None of the rest of the business leaders seemed to be able to see through it as well. It wasn't just IT either. I know good solid smart people when I see them. BMC didn't have any of them. Again, this sounds like sour grapes. But it is not. I am thankful for my time there. I learned a lot, and met some nice people, but their hiring and management and HR are decades behind, which is probably when people started working there. An HR manager at BMC had the skill and drive level of a beginning associate everywhere else I have worked. If the best and brightest organization I have worked at is the equivalent of a major league baseball team, BMC is single A short season, at best. I will not even get into the complete absence of C-level leadership or vision of the corporate office. You wouldn't even know you worked for a wood products holding company if you didn't do the research. I also won't attempt to break down the moving of the corporate office to Atlanta. I understand business and change and layoff and tough breaks, and what the Boise job market is like, but I've never seen such a poorly communicated, non-professional, impersonal, backhanded, sly, uncaring, spineless, self-serving C-level presentation. With the Stock merger (all stock options, as I understand) who just so happens to be HQ'd in Atlanta, we see the plan of the CEO coming to fruition. I just hope the leadership and talent at Stock can wear off on BMC folks and the good employees get good opportunities. I can't wait for the Stock reaction when they meet BMC leaders, and say "You're an HR manager--is this the only place you've ever worked?". Or "You're an infrastructure manager"? Just using those as examples, of course. For the last time, this absolutely sounds like a parting shot. It may be, but I'm now two jobs removed, and I still am amazed by what I saw at my time there. I wish all of the people in Boise at BMC the best of luck, and hope the merger provides new opportunities. If you have to get a paycheck, a job at BMC is infinitely better than nothing. However, if you want a career, you'll quickly understand that this step will easily serve as the worst, most ludicrous, backward organization you'll ever work for.

Advice to Management

Shave the mustache. Change the black shirt. Please leave Boise so that a real company can come in and use that office space. It will also allow my friends that still work there to get real jobs

3. Fantastic prior to bankruptcy, declining since

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Denver, CO

I have been working at BMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Camraderie, fun, great home-work balance, flexible hours.

Cons

No follow thru, have to request reviews, no raises since BK, upper management is only around to tell us what we've done wrong. What happened to profit sharing, affordable health insurance, and good retirement packages, celebrations and parties??

Advice to Management

Value and compensate those who stuck by during the hard times. Quit bragging about being a billion dollar company when your workers can't afford milk and gas. Appreciate and hear your people doing the hard work! Quit treating workers like they're so easily replaced.

Board of Directors being misled by CEO

I have been working at BMC (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people I work with really care about the company and put everything into their jobs.

Cons

New CEO and Board of Directors failing to realize that the people who saved this company from closing and brought it out of bankruptcy have value. Once those people with heart are gone, it will not be the same.

Advice to Management

Keep the people who brought BMC out of bankruptcy. Moving the corporate office to Atlanta is a huge mistake. Dallas or Denver made sense.

Management

I have been working at BMC

Pros

Great people, progressive thinkers, profitable, expanding.

Cons

Lots of change without proper change management.

Advice to Management

Cascade information to the field more.

7. good

Former Employee - Sales in New Braunfels, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in New Braunfels, TX

I worked at BMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the company is a good company, strong, personal.

Cons

human resource lady at specific locations

Advice to Management

a little more open minded would work

8. Great Company

Current Employee - Clerical Specialist in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Clerical Specialist in Modesto, CA

I have been working at BMC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly environment to work in. Employees seem to genuinely car about each other.

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth and company has not given raises in several years

Advice to Management

Salaries should better fit experience of employees and comparable positions at other companies.

9. Had been a while since i had enjoyed a company as much

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in New Braunfels, TX
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in New Braunfels, TX

I worked at BMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salary, good benefits, employees enjoy there jobs.

Cons

to closed minded on certain topics,

Advice to Management

Need to remove the HR person in a specific location, due to her tenure with the company she is right even when she is wrong.

10. nothing but opportunity, if you are willing to work for it

Current Employee - Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at BMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

autonomy, creativity, innovation, work life balance

Cons

support ecosystem changes rapidly as one would expect from a software company and sales organization

good until the end.

Former Employee - Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at BMC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging, great products. Lots of opportunity.

Cons

Layoffs, uncertainty, bad managers, poor loyalty to employees.

Advice to Management

Decide where you are going and go there. Stop jumpoing around to all sorts of different products.

RSS Feed </> Embed