BMC Software Reviews in Austin, TX

Updated September 4, 2014
3.3

BMC Software Chairman and CEO Bob Beauchamp
Bob Beauchamp

Pros
  • Good benefits and work environment allows for appropriate work/life balance most of the time (in 42 reviews)

• Work from home facility is available" Good food is available at canteen (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad work life balance as per my personal experience but apary from it all good :) (in 12 reviews)

• Some groups are run like family business - senior Management is not aware of reality on the ground (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It was a great company to work for.

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at BMC Software full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I would work for them again. The company has recently privatized. Hopefully, this will be for the benefit of the company and it's employees. Everyone I worked with was very competent and knowledgeable. The visibility between sales, marketing, development and support was the best I have seen. There were many good customer relationships. Feedback from the customer often directed the product development which resulted in rich, fully-functioned products.

Cons

Employment was unstable. Working with groups in non-US time-zones became a challenge.

Living in Interesting Times

Current Employee - Lead MSM SQA Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Lead MSM SQA Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at BMC Software full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

One of the great things about working at BMC is the people. Like any other workplace you have the mixture of personalities, but all in all everyone supports one another. I have found that you can make time for your family and yourself and not be treated as a slacker. Health benefits are good unless you are unable to take advantage of the HSA plan. The office has gone through a remodel and everyone that does not work from home still has an office rather than a cube farm. Training is recommended and supported as long as it does not interfere with your work and it doesn't cost BMC any additional dollars.

Cons

The QA organization has lost a number of people in the last year due to reductions and attrition. Management seems to think that they can just shuffle people around to take up the slack without understanding that the skill set needed to understand how to test a product thoroughly does not always easily translate to another product. Management talks about the greying of the R&D organization and how they need to address it without recognizing the knowledge they are losing because they are not acting fast enough for those retiring to pass that knowledge on. Management is also aware of the many single points of failure (staff that provides critical functions with no backup) yet make no obvious effort to address them. There is no career development in the R&D organization. Promotions are few and far between.

BMC management is responsible for creating an environment that drove a number of developers and QAs to find work elsewhere. Instead of assuming they were ungrateful employees, make an effort to understand why they left and why they were not happy about leaving. The only way to improve things is to accept responsibility for that work environment and addressing the issues and concerns that came out of the exit interviews.

Solid Company - Well Managed

Former Employee - Principal Product Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Principal Product Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at BMC Software full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

BMC has great products, great customer focus, and a lean organization. Basically well managed with smart people.

Cons

Kind of a boring industry and a tough business - too heavy on mainframe culture.

Quit squeezing the employees and ensure there is room to advance.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company in transition

Current Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at BMC Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, very good training

Cons

A company in transition, losing what was a very good sales culture

Need retention program

It is the dedication of BMC's employees that make BMC the company it is.

Current Employee - Lead MSM SQAA Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Lead MSM SQAA Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at BMC Software for more than 10 years

Pros

BMC provides an environment where you are always challenged to tackle new and interesting ideas. The pay, benefits, and other incentives are top notch.

Cons

Some of the challenges are having to do more with less people.

Please don't lose sight of the fact it is the dedication and hard work of the employees that make you look good. Treat them like you understand that.

Solid enterprise software company nearing end of life

Former Employee - Development Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Development Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at BMC Software full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- excellent compensation and benefits
    - Fortune 500 customers
    - solid legacy products
    - flexible work environment and good work life balance
    - nice offices

Cons

- beauracratic, things move to slow
    - no budget for training, travel, recognition
    - constant lay-offs
    - growth through acquisition and cost cutting
    - no top line revenue growth from innovation

- adapt faster to new technologies
    - change business model instead of relying on lay-offs
    - innovate

I enjoyed working at BMC Software.

Former Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at BMC Software full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I really liked the people I worked with at BMC. There were always people with great skills and a willingness to get the job done right.

Cons

When I worked at BMC there were several rounds of layoffs. You never knew if you were going to have a job from one day to the next. I know this is inevitable in the software business, but sometimes it didn't seem necessary.

It didn't seem like management planned too far in advance. Sometimes it felt like they were more reactionary than visionary.

It was fun while it lasted

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at BMC Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

BMC pays reasonably well and has a dynamic workforce due to the plentiful acquisitions they tend to make

Cons

Because of the rate of acquisitions they make, they have a high rate of churn. They also tend to mature a product fast and then move it to their India dev center quickly - leaving them with a team they don't know what to do with

Management is too tactical in nature and doesn't seem to have a clue on what it takes to build a long term company with employees and management focused on long-term success. Sr. executives all run the company as if today's the last sale they'll be making

work culture

Current Employee - SQA Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - SQA Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at BMC Software full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunity to work on latest technology, will be rewarded on time, good team, industry standard pay

Cons

Frequent job shifting to offshore

Ensure that the employees are assets

Merit/Salary Freeze will be lifted when more global warming melts the ice

Current Employee - Senior Software Consultant  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at BMC Software

Pros

Good people for the most part

Cons

During the recent all hands meeting the #1 question asked was "when do we expect to have the the merit Increasesalary freeze lifted?". The answer - "when the market demands it!" In other words, regardless of how much productivity and revenue are being realized even after all the downsizing; BMC will lift the freeze only when it's been determined that we're loosing employees to the competition due to compensation issues. What kind of short sidedness is this? Why not stay ahead of the curve instead of waiting for good people to leave. Very, very telling in my opinion.

It doesn't matter, they're not interested anyway.

Worked for BMC Software? Contribute to the Community!