BMC Software

BMC Software Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

BMC Software Chairman and CEO Bob Beauchamp

Bob Beauchamp

Pros
  • Good benefits and work environment allows for appropriate work/life balance most of the time(in 42 reviews)

• Work from home facility is available" Good food is available at canteen(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad work life balance as per my personal experience but apary from it all good :)(in 12 reviews)

• Some groups are run like family business - senior Management is not aware of reality on the ground(in 10 reviews)

Awesome people, great benefits, challenging, but overall a good place to be.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

ProsBest industry training opportunity you will ever have as sales professional. Work Hard Play Hard mentality which is great. Focused and challenging your skills every day to get the job done, its not easy but who wants easy?

ConsLast year has been challenging with internal change and going private with new owner. Messaging has been consistent but cloudy. Wait and see the plan is not enough to retain the top talent makes it hard on the rest of the team.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Vp's and C level exec's need to get out and visit the people in the field. Stop the email communication, video chats etc. Jump on a plane and go talk face to face with the people who make your company tick. You can deliver the same BS line you do in the video, "Wait and see", but at least show you have the stones to stand up in front of us so we can look you in the eye and decide if we want to continue working for you or not.

BMC Software on the upswing!

Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIn going private, it is giving BMC a great opportunity to make much needed organizational changes and investments in solution portfolio.

ConsResources can be a bit thin at times, but many new ones are coming on board now and will have a great impact on the organization in 2014 and beyond.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to make investments in the people and technology.

It was a great ride while it lasted

Client Services (Current Employee)

ProsGood people to work with. Lower management seems to care about the empoyees

ConsMiddle Management doesn't appear to know what they are doing. However, this could change now that BMC has gone private. There is risk staying as there a probably drastic changes coming over the next 6-12 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication and try to build trust with the employees. The uncertainty is causing a brain drain.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, tough times

Vice President (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsPeople are great, fantastic environment

ConsTough times, hard to innovate in larger environment, very risk averse culture

Dynamic, Changing Company - Huge Opportunities

Manager (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsGreat people, incredibly competent and caring. Very competitive compensation plans for salespeople within the industry. Strong opportunities for growth and advancement as the company continues the privatization.

ConsUncertainty around privatization has some folks worried.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to better articulate where the company is going. Being quiet contributes to uncertainty and retention issues.

Lots of change

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsEnvironment is collaborative and open to new ideas. Good work/life balance. The people there are generally good at what they do and interested in doing the right thing for the company.

ConsLots of things changing - upper management couldn't figure things out and the company was recently bought by Bain and other investors. There is a lot of uncertainty about what is coming next because of that.

Advice to Senior ManagementOld management - get out of the way. New management - focus on innovation.

BMC Software provides excellent products, training, growth and financial opportunity, people and culture.

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCompany stability and presence in market, excellent leadership and growth opportunities, team culture

Consinternal process inefficiencies, information not disseminated effectively

Wonderful place to work if you can stay employed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe people you work with are top-notch.

ConsThe CEO is a people-cutter, real hatch job, that only benefits his bonus.

Completed 5 years recently... has seen this organization go from Good to bad to ugly.

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee)

Pros1. Excellent products
    2. Some good acquisitions

Cons1. No Transparency - huge difference in salaries, comp plans amongst peers.
    2. Some groups are run like family business - senior Management is not aware of reality on the ground.
    3. Management makes false promises.
    4. No Recognition for the work done, managers can steal credit from you.
    5. No Growth Options - only for Management favorites not for performers.

Advice to Senior Management1. Feel the reality on the ground -- people, business - come out of your ivory tower.
    2. Remove bureaucracy, bring openness.
    3. Check what is happening in each group. lot of weird stuff happening which will harm the organization in the long run.

Things have changed.

ProsExcellent work/life balance. Had the pleasure of working for a few very strong, intelligent and supportive managers. Colleagues in general are a pleasure to work with; very laid back and good spirited set of people.

ConsManagement (now) seems out of sync with the "little people." Very few opportunities for advancement. Any requisitions that come available are usually earmarked with a resource and the interview process is just a formality. A lot of big ideas and no actions to bring those ideas to fruition. The overall environment is beginning to seem stagnant and morale is steadily dropping.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake better hiring decisions when it comes to management. For those currently in management - seriously reevaluate their effectiveness and consider replacing them with forward thinking, innovative people. Give your internals a chance to advance and shine - and reward them when they do.

Worked for BMC Software? Contribute to the Community!