BMC Software

BMC Software Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

BMC Software Chairman and CEO Bob Beauchamp

Bob Beauchamp

Pros
  • Good benefits and work environment allows for appropriate work/life balance most of the time(in 42 reviews)

• Work from home facility is available" Good food is available at canteen(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad work life balance as per my personal experience but apary from it all good :)(in 12 reviews)

• Some groups are run like family business - senior Management is not aware of reality on the ground(in 10 reviews)

Getting better again, was in a slump

Principal Software Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsI have mostly had fair and level headed senior management. Senior management folks in the pre sales division are extremely approachable. The division has an average tenure of 6+ years - which is huge in today's market. For me - the approachability of management, autonomy in work and decent pay are the biggest pros.

ConsGrowth in career can become a challenge if the employee doesn't have clear plans. Top management strategies take time to reach rank and file.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's happening now - but top management needs to be on the ground.

A great place to be

Specialist (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat local and national sales leadership. Great future vision. Renewal of customer focus now with the company going private behind them.

ConsNone company is great. Only the best will get better

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing

Diversity is non existent

Director (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCompensation was very good. Great future vision. Really good sales leaders. The taking over to private in my opinion was a good thing.

ConsI was in cloud automation group -- it is stagnant with old timers. No women in leadership positions. Lack of women VPs is joked about with management making flippant remarks about hiring more women. Actions speak volumes -- only mid level women are brought in and as contractors only. I left because I saw little ability to advance not just because of gender but because nobody advances here. It was also sad to see the boys club mentality at the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in decent healthcare benefits as these kept taking hits year after year. Do not accept your managements lame excuses about why there are no women leaders.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BMC has amazing employees that care, work long hours, but fear the annual layoffs!

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGrateful to have a director that cared. Always felt supported, valued, and challenged. Great co-workers!

ConsLayoffs!!!! I was never impacted by a layoff, but the month of March and April....pointless from a productivity standpoint!

Awesome people, decent benefits

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

ProsStart with 3 weeks time-off which increases with time in the company. Compensation is amongst the top 25% in the industry but you have to negotiate and get it

ConsHealth benefits are getting poorer. With the company going private, they have not replaced the ESPP with an equivalent benefit

Good company that provided growth and learning opportunities.

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBMC offered me opportunities to move around to different roles. This allowed me to learn new things and remain challenged.

ConsAt times, the leadership was not fully in touch with the "feet on the street".

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to talk with and listen to employees to understand what is working and not working. Pay close attention to the culture.

BMC has a variety of job types that allow an employee to explore different aspects of the business

ProsGood people who care about each other
    First and second line management is very supportive of career development
    Bright future as long as the company will execute on its plan

ConsUpheaval related to the acquisition has taken longer to settle than hoped
    Recent attrition has led to loss of confidence in ability to execute

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent to ensure your actions match your words

Downward

ProsGood cafe. Good pay. Some people are good. Not much else is worth mentioning as cons out weigh pros.

ConsCloud strategy is missing and cloud group lacks direction. Weak leadership in some of the most important parts of company like cloud will hamper our forward traction.

Advice to Senior ManagementInsensitive comments about women so women are discouraged in some groups and left BMC. HR seems unwilling to support women. HR does not push back on levels and levels of mgmt teams without any women direct reports.

Don't walk away, run!

Business Operations (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThere are some talented, bright employees at BMC. Lots of opportunity to work extremely hard. Good location and free drinks - that is about it!

ConsConstant layoffs regardless of employee ability and dedication. Serial reorganizations without thinking through a strategic long term plan. Lack of cohesive strategy at the top and no wonder private equity took over.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll assets and attention are focused on the sales organization and support groups are only a necessary mechanism and are treated as such. The external reputation of BMC as a sweatshop and serial restructurer is fully supported based on what I have experienced. There is no opportunity for advancement unless you are a certain gender/race (yes, this is called discrimination). There is no employee development. The negative reputation you have generated in Houston is valid. The Bain comedy skit at the 2015 annual kick off meeting demonstrated exceptionally poor taste when you are in the midst of laying off even more employees.

Enjoyable work with questionable management.

Associate Product Developer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsWork hours are somewhat flexible along with opportunity to work from home. Lots of talented co-workers. Performance based bonus pay.

ConsSince buyout there have been rounds of layoffs. There is a huge talent vacuum happening as developers either jump ship to other organizations or get laid off. Compensation is slightly below market average, and now that the company is private there is no stock option.

Worked for BMC Software? Contribute to the Community!