BMC Software

Updated November 23, 2014
3.3

BMC Software Chairman and CEO Bob Beauchamp
Bob Beauchamp

Pros
  • Good benefits and work environment allows for appropriate work/life balance most of the time (in 44 reviews)

• Work from home facility is available" Good food is available at canteen (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad work life balance as per my personal experience but apary from it all good :) (in 13 reviews)

• Middle management receives no support and there is little evaluation of their effectiveness (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Senior Support Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Support Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at BMC Software full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing culture and great people!

Cons

Nothing I can think of as it's a great company!

N/A

growth is vast

I have been working at BMC Software full-time

Pros

work life balance, great benefits and lots of room to grow. option to work from home

Cons

due to work load and under staff, you can't avail the learning and training benefits
    you have to be loaded before you can get into the company

employ more people

Great Company to work for

I have been working at BMC Software

Pros

Public to private conversion was smooth and very positive; upper management and exec leadership is invested and pumped. Lots of positive energy at the company.

Cons

None, unless your adverse to working hard.

Keep it up!!

One of the best company's to work for

I worked at BMC Software

Pros

Career development, dynamic product portfolio, great culture, awesome leadership team

Cons

salary and benefits could be improved, better T&E budgets

Work employees to the bone and more emphasis placed on the bottom line versus spending the money on staff.

Positive Software Development internship experience

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Lexington, MA

I worked at BMC Software as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

BMC Software does important work on relevant industry standard technology. In terms of the internship, I learned about BMC's software and got relevant, hands on experience writing code and giving demos and POCs.

Cons

The internship was a bit hectic early on. There wasn't a great sense of who I should be reporting to or what expectations there were for me.

The ship is sinking

Former Employee - Software Consultant
    Former Employee - Software Consultant

I worked at BMC Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Opportunity to work with big impact customers
    -Salary and Bonus is fair
    -Technology can be interesting
    -Good people in the trenches
    -Offices are awesome

Cons

-Some of the technology is from like 1995, and has had trouble keeping up in today's environments
    -Management is not trustworthy, will talk big but will do nothing
    -Never got a salary raise despite "excellent" performance reviews
    -Had a new manager every 6 months
    -Raise any concerns, or rock the boat and expect to be silenced or end up on the annual layoff
    -Half the company is from India or in a overseas location
    -For a technology company managers have little product knowledge or technology experience.

Technology:
    -Get over this product identity crisis, do you really need 5 different ITSM products (Remedy ITSM, RemedyOD, RemedyForce, TrackIT, and Footprints)
    -Don't rely on the Salesforce platform, build your own BSM Cloud Platform and be self-sustained
    -Modernize your technologies for the year 2015 and beyond
    -Stop re-branding Opensource add-on products, build your own.
    -Stop making bone-head purchases of technologies with little to no value like Abbydos, Magic, Aeroprise, and Virtual Chat.
    -Resolve any performance issues, R&D you need to actually talk with Services and Support to find out what is really broken.
    -If you want a new capability, develop it. Remember you are still a software and technology company.
    -Listen to your customer needs (remember the user tool that every customer loved but you killed)

Management:
    -Compensate your performers, and promote individuals with technology experience.
    -Perform a survey of all of management, fire the ones that get less than 70% approval rate from their employees
    -Managers don't be afraid of being honest
    -Have a heart

Bob get this company back on track, or ownership is going to chop the company up and sell it piece by piece.

There are pros and cons

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best think about BMC is that I get to work remotely and have a good amount of autonomy. The company has decent benefits which employees pay a percentage of, there is half yearly bonus given to individual contributors but it is based on the performance of sales and other factors the employee themselves can't control so you never get 100% of your bonus no matter how many hours you work, what you contribute or how great of a rating you get.

I do believe they have a good sales training program and continually try to get the reps as much information as possible to do their jobs.

Cons

The culture is not great, you are expected to work as many hours as it takes to get the job done (I've pulled several all nighters) with little to no appreciation. It seems like there are clicks and if you aren't apart of it then you are left in the cold especially if you're not at HQ.

There is no formal process for receiving raises or promotions. You boss has to request it for you and most don't know this is what is required so you can languish for years without any kind of salary adjustment. When I asked my boss after 2yrs of service if I was going to get a raise they replied " i have no idea what you're talking about".

I don't see a lot of upward mobility at least in my current role which is disheartening. There is no career training unless you are in sales and your managers doesn't talk to you about how you can advance your career.

Being recently acquired by a consortium of private equity firms the state of the company can be tenuous. We're waiting to see if we will be sold off as a whole, or by group or taken public again.

Communication company wide is horrible. No one knows what anyone else does.

Do a world wide employee opinion survey and truly do a deep dive on the results to implement changes.

BMC is a dynamic place to work. Change happens every fiscal year.

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great employees with lots of can do attitudes. The benefits and time off policy are better than what most companies offer.

Cons

Lack of IT infrastructure to get things done efficiently. Compensation advances are few and far between. Will be interesting to see how long the new strategy continues before it's reversed.

Invest in your own IT infrastructure. The company can't execute the changes without it.

Ups and downs.

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smartest people I have ever worked with. Most of them are very dedicated and work all kinds of crazy hours, as they have done for years. Many have been at BMC for at least a decade. Individuals all have their own offices in Austin.

Cons

Many senior managers work elsewhere and manage Austin remotely. The good ones are very good - inclusive, honest and straightforward. The bad ones are very bad - concerned more with hierarchy, self preservation and self promotion. The ones in the middle are just in the middle.

Pay attention.

Account Manager role

Current Employee - Account Manager (Sales)
    Current Employee - Account Manager (Sales)

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Culture is great and the people are great to work with. Over the years we have adapted to changes in the market place for the best of the company. Compensation is fair and the benefits are some of the best in the business.

Cons

This change can always lead to turnover in many areas. Those who can get through the change can prosper and can excel in there job.

Makes all the products better and best of breed. Some products are better then others and we need to stick to what we are good at and stay good long term.