BMC Software Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
3.4

BMC Software Chairman and CEO Bob Beauchamp
Bob Beauchamp

Pros
  • Good benefits and work environment allows for appropriate work/life balance most of the time (in 43 reviews)

• Work from home facility is available" Good food is available at canteen (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad work life balance as per my personal experience but apary from it all good :) (in 13 reviews)

• Middle management receives no support and there is little evaluation of their effectiveness (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the best company's to work for

I worked at BMC Software

Pros

Career development, dynamic product portfolio, great culture, awesome leadership team

Cons

salary and benefits could be improved, better T&E budgets

Work employees to the bone and more emphasis placed on the bottom line versus spending the money on staff.

Positive Software Development internship experience

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Lexington, MA

I worked at BMC Software as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

BMC Software does important work on relevant industry standard technology. In terms of the internship, I learned about BMC's software and got relevant, hands on experience writing code and giving demos and POCs.

Cons

The internship was a bit hectic early on. There wasn't a great sense of who I should be reporting to or what expectations there were for me.

The ship is sinking

Former Employee - Software Consultant
    Former Employee - Software Consultant

I worked at BMC Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Opportunity to work with big impact customers
    -Salary and Bonus is fair
    -Technology can be interesting
    -Good people in the trenches
    -Offices are awesome

Cons

-Some of the technology is from like 1995, and has had trouble keeping up in today's environments
    -Management is not trustworthy, will talk big but will do nothing
    -Never got a salary raise despite "excellent" performance reviews
    -Had a new manager every 6 months
    -Raise any concerns, or rock the boat and expect to be silenced or end up on the annual layoff
    -Half the company is from India or in a overseas location
    -For a technology company managers have little product knowledge or technology experience.

Technology:
    -Get over this product identity crisis, do you really need 5 different ITSM products (Remedy ITSM, RemedyOD, RemedyForce, TrackIT, and Footprints)
    -Don't rely on the Salesforce platform, build your own BSM Cloud Platform and be self-sustained
    -Modernize your technologies for the year 2015 and beyond
    -Stop re-branding Opensource add-on products, build your own.
    -Stop making bone-head purchases of technologies with little to no value like Abbydos, Magic, Aeroprise, and Virtual Chat.
    -Resolve any performance issues, R&D you need to actually talk with Services and Support to find out what is really broken.
    -If you want a new capability, develop it. Remember you are still a software and technology company.
    -Listen to your customer needs (remember the user tool that every customer loved but you killed)

Management:
    -Compensate your performers, and promote individuals with technology experience.
    -Perform a survey of all of management, fire the ones that get less than 70% approval rate from their employees
    -Managers don't be afraid of being honest
    -Have a heart

Bob get this company back on track, or ownership is going to chop the company up and sell it piece by piece.

BMC is a dynamic place to work. Change happens every fiscal year.

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great employees with lots of can do attitudes. The benefits and time off policy are better than what most companies offer.

Cons

Lack of IT infrastructure to get things done efficiently. Compensation advances are few and far between. Will be interesting to see how long the new strategy continues before it's reversed.

Invest in your own IT infrastructure. The company can't execute the changes without it.

Ups and downs.

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smartest people I have ever worked with. Most of them are very dedicated and work all kinds of crazy hours, as they have done for years. Many have been at BMC for at least a decade. Individuals all have their own offices in Austin.

Cons

Many senior managers work elsewhere and manage Austin remotely. The good ones are very good - inclusive, honest and straightforward. The bad ones are very bad - concerned more with hierarchy, self preservation and self promotion. The ones in the middle are just in the middle.

Pay attention.

Good exec mgmt.

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good, Interesting breadth of technology.

Cons

Really behind the innovation curve.

Account Manager role

Current Employee - Account Manager (Sales)
    Current Employee - Account Manager (Sales)

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Culture is great and the people are great to work with. Over the years we have adapted to changes in the market place for the best of the company. Compensation is fair and the benefits are some of the best in the business.

Cons

This change can always lead to turnover in many areas. Those who can get through the change can prosper and can excel in there job.

Makes all the products better and best of breed. Some products are better then others and we need to stick to what we are good at and stay good long term.

I enjoy working at BMC and have found the people, as usually, to be the driving force behind my satisfaction.

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

BMC is very open to people moving into new roles, trying new things, and growing broadly and deeply. This is a huge benefit to me personally and to my ability to retain top talent.

Cons

BMC does not market themselves strongly in the public eye. I look forward to mentioning to people that I work at BMC and not needing to explain our business at a basic level. Broad marketing, becoming more of a household name, would be excellent.

Stick with a solution focus, not only software licenses. Companies are buying to gain efficiencies, impact net income, or otherwise improve their business. Addressing the full solution set including implementation, warranty, and education as PART of selling and not after the license is sold would make all BMC organizations part of the customer success.

Depends on leadership

I worked at BMC Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When there are good leaders, engagement drivers improve.

Cons

When there are poor leaders, they tend to bring on friends, reward eachother, & no one is held accountable.

Bain should pay more attention- business is not run any differently than when BMC was publicly traded. For once, hold leaders accountable to manage expenses!

Meat grinder, good ole boys club

Former Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I worked at BMC Software full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

compensation
    world-class co-workers
    benefits
    great offices
    opportunity to develop if you have the right leader

Cons

management "the emperor's new clothes" - no one has the guts to say/do what really needs to be said/done
    everyone's a VP or President
    hours
    "what have you done for me lately"
    concern for development of employees is hollow and insincere
    little to no opportunity for women in upper management

consider removing the management that were at the helm when the ship went down - that in and of itself is a demotivator for those still there
    constant layoffs might be needed to reduce cost, but get rid of the real dead wood (the many do-nothing VPs with no or very small teams) and leave the actual doers alone
    adding yet another layer of management at the "president" level is not going to move the needle and sell product
    get rid of the old thinking of the "big four" - it's a whole new mainframe-less world
    your latest acquisition isn't always your new "bright and shiny can do no wrong" object