BMC Software

Updated January 30, 2015
3.4

BMC Software Chairman and CEO Bob Beauchamp
Bob Beauchamp

Pros
  • Good benefits and work environment allows for appropriate work/life balance most of the time (in 44 reviews)

• Work from home facility is available" Good food is available at canteen (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad work life balance as per my personal experience but apary from it all good :) (in 13 reviews)

• Middle management receives no support and there is little evaluation of their effectiveness (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

SENIOR DEVELOPER

I have been working at BMC Software

Pros

Good benefits, flexible working hours

Cons

vision and direction and strategy

give proper direction and strategy

Overall it was a O.K. experience

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good earning potential...and decent technology

Cons

no work-life balance...different rules for different folks..micro management to the Nth degree and mgmt doesn't use the communication tools that company provides...too many meetings. 1970s mentality in the way the organization is run

empower your employees...hire independent thinkers and let them do their job and get out of the way

Not so good at the moment

Current Employee - Senior Product Developer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance
    pays good, at least to start with

Cons

some product lines are not all that great, so be careful where you take up the job
    not doing so well financially.

Need more focused strategy. Too many changes and too soon...

Average company lead by average leaders

I have been working at BMC Software

Pros

Lots of freedom to work, with better than average compensation model (base + bonus + RSU). Interesting work initially, but financial crisis and going private limited interesting projects.

Cons

Lack of leadership and coherent strategy. Old boys continue to stay, even though they are missing targets. Middling new leaders hired with no clear direction. No team environment - everyone works for themselves. No career advancement opportunities.

Wonderful company to work for...

Former Employee - Informatica Developer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Informatica Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at BMC Software full-time (less than a year)

Pros

BMC is very interested in making their employees comfortable so that they will be more productive. It is a very professional environment, and yet one feels very comfortable there.

Cons

When I worked there, I was part of a writer team. The writers were assigned to various product teams in the the company. It was difficult when I would be working really late with the project team, and yet still be expected to be at the office very early to report to my writer lead, while all of the developers and engineers on the project would show up much later....it was a bit creepy being the only person on my project floor for a couple of hours each morning.

Great Company

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people I deal with in Sales are fantastic professionals, The company has solid benefits plan, 401k match, good training opportunities and a great business plan to grow.

Cons

Some politics as usual, some products could use a faster refresh but most of that is underway. No real issues beyond normal enterprise business efforts.

Training is OK but with new business model sales training needs to be re vamped to focus specific business plan for future growth. Not all meetings can be 100% effective when conducted remotely, reconsider team meetings with proper governance over meeting objectives. (emphasis future growth, updated training, sales training, value training versus review of previous quarterly business)

Corporate but flexible

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Houston, TX

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some departments have a very flexible schedule. Atmosphere and dress code can be very relaxed. Some people are very friendly and become your friends for life. Great perks like free soda machine and campus social events left over from the "old days" i hear. Very pro networking. I think they have great benefits.

Cons

Depends on your specific departments but not very competitive salary, lack of growth opportunities, most people stay stuck in the same position their entire careers or plateau, stressful with high demand to perform high volume tasks with minimum staff, typically understaffed, very corporate leadership where all the money and work/life balance seems to be at the top and barely trickles down.

Spend more to save more. Hire good people and reward them to stay. Promote from within and replace the lower positions. The culture at BMC can take a long time to learn and get used to. Improve work/life balance with employees who want to stay and help grow the workforce with greatly trained new hires.

People are great, management is not

I worked at BMC Software (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with some of the brightest most dedicated people at BMC. We all worked very hard in a constantly changing environment. We were given great resources and tools.

Cons

BMC is still a good old boys club. Look at the corporate leadership page full of middle-aged white men. While there is some diversity lower down the management chain, leadership tends to be old school and move slowly.

Listen to your smart employees and start acting like the innovative company you're trying to be.

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Senior Support Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Support Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at BMC Software full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing culture and great people!

Cons

Nothing I can think of as it's a great company!

N/A

Great Company to work for

I have been working at BMC Software

Pros

Public to private conversion was smooth and very positive; upper management and exec leadership is invested and pumped. Lots of positive energy at the company.

Cons

None, unless your adverse to working hard.

Keep it up!!