BMD

Add Photos

Jeff Gore

Great place to work!

Assistant Controller (Current Employee) Galt, CA

ProsTenure of employment is most impressive with the majority of associates having worked for BMD for more than ten, twenty and thirty years! Company culture is defined by hard working and fun people. Work-Life balance is a priority for management, which provides for success in all areas of its associate’s lives. BMD is a financially strong company with solid values and principles.

ConsOn-site gym and basketball court would be nice.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to encourage associates at all levels, strategize change, and drive BMD, Inc. to be the best organization, worldwide in any industry.

Great company with almost 70 years of history built on solid values and team oriented goals.

Inside Sales (Current Employee) Galt, CA

ProsESOP company with a great benefits package. Forward thinking management that consistantly provides sales with technical support. Long established relationships with supplies and customers alike. New CEO with fresh ideas who is not afraid to think outside of the box.

ConsUse of crossover products between divisions needs to be more completely developed. Interdivisional communication channels could be strengthened.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognition of employee contributions and achievements more regularly from all levels of management. Keep those fresh ideas coming that will continually improve our overall productivity and performance.

I enjoy being part of the BMD team.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Galt, CA

ProsEmployee Owned Company. Good benefits. Great executive team, with progressive ideas.

ConsInternal communication is lacking in some areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to evaluate and restructure. Take care of the the employees that strive to contribute to the improved productivity and performance of the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work with plenty of support from all levels

Territory Manager (Current Employee) Galt, CA

ProsESOP company, great benefits, excellent support from both operational and sales divisions. I have held a couple different positions with BMD, and I enjoyed them all. BMD has a great relationship with their suppliers and customers, which really helps facilitate increased sales and market share in a rough economy.

ConsSometimes communication from the top down seems a little...slow...at times. Also, communication between divisions is minimal, though it seems to be improving. Technologically we could use some better tools that give us greater visibility of our customer activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be a forward thinking company, and really take care of our employees. They are the best resource we have.

A real "Animal Farm" - worst employment experience of my life - job seekers beware.

Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) Galt, CA

ProsAn "employee-owned" company with good health benefits that make up, in part, for low-end wages. New CEO with progressive ideas regarding the meaning of "employee ownership" may change the negative corporate culture.

ConsLow wages, dead-end positions, minimal acknowledgement of achievements, maximal criticism of mistakes/failures, harsh employee evaluations have many employees asking "If I'm doing such a bad job, why don't they fire me?", abusive middle management in some departments that results in high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop Management is much more competent & progressive than previous. Middle management in some departments rule by fear, are abusive & mean-spirited. Attitude towards employees is largely negative.

Great Company with Great People

Technical Support Representative (Current Employee)

ProsBMD is a trusted building material supplier and a 70 year old company with a great reputation for saying what they mean and doing what they say. Employee ownership culture contriubtes to many long term employees. Average tenure at BMD is much longer than most companies.

ConsHanging on to employees that don't fit our culture for too long.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen the fit isn't there, act quickly to dispatch malcontents. Keep seeking opportunities for growth and advancement.

Worked for BMD? Contribute to the Community!