BMD Reviews

Jeff Gore

1. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Assistant Controller in Galt, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Controller in Galt, CA

I have been working at BMD full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Tenure of employment is most impressive with the majority of associates having worked for BMD for more than ten, twenty and thirty years! Company culture is defined by hard working and fun people. Work-Life balance is a priority for management, which provides for success in all areas of its associate’s lives. BMD is a financially strong company with solid values and principles.

Cons

On-site gym and basketball court would be nice.

Continue to encourage associates at all levels, strategize change, and drive BMD, Inc. to be the best organization, worldwide in any industry.

2. Great company with almost 70 years of history built on solid values and team oriented goals.

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Galt, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Galt, CA

I have been working at BMD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

ESOP company with a great benefits package. Forward thinking management that consistantly provides sales with technical support. Long established relationships with supplies and customers alike. New CEO with fresh ideas who is not afraid to think outside of the box.

Cons

Use of crossover products between divisions needs to be more completely developed. Interdivisional communication channels could be strengthened.

Recognition of employee contributions and achievements more regularly from all levels of management. Keep those fresh ideas coming that will continually improve our overall productivity and performance.

3. I enjoy being part of the BMD team.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Galt, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Galt, CA

I have been working at BMD full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Employee Owned Company. Good benefits. Great executive team, with progressive ideas.

Cons

Internal communication is lacking in some areas.

Continue to evaluate and restructure. Take care of the the employees that strive to contribute to the improved productivity and performance of the company.

Great place to work with plenty of support from all levels

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Galt, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Galt, CA

I have been working at BMD full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

ESOP company, great benefits, excellent support from both operational and sales divisions. I have held a couple different positions with BMD, and I enjoyed them all. BMD has a great relationship with their suppliers and customers, which really helps facilitate increased sales and market share in a rough economy.

Cons

Sometimes communication from the top down seems a little...slow...at times. Also, communication between divisions is minimal, though it seems to be improving. Technologically we could use some better tools that give us greater visibility of our customer activities.

Continue to be a forward thinking company, and really take care of our employees. They are the best resource we have.

6. A real "Animal Farm" - worst employment experience of my life - job seekers beware.

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Galt, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Galt, CA

I worked at BMD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

An "employee-owned" company with good health benefits that make up, in part, for low-end wages. New CEO with progressive ideas regarding the meaning of "employee ownership" may change the negative corporate culture.

Cons

Low wages, dead-end positions, minimal acknowledgement of achievements, maximal criticism of mistakes/failures, harsh employee evaluations have many employees asking "If I'm doing such a bad job, why don't they fire me?", abusive middle management in some departments that results in high turnover.

Top Management is much more competent & progressive than previous. Middle management in some departments rule by fear, are abusive & mean-spirited. Attitude towards employees is largely negative.

7. Enjoyment in Engineering

Current Contractor - Undergraduate in Brisbane (Australia)
    Current Contractor - Undergraduate in Brisbane (Australia)

I have been working at BMD as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Very family orientated, friendly and community driven company. Good training. Great work culture. Good benefits.

Cons

Location is not central to Brisbane however job sites can vary.

Great Company with Great People

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative

I have been working at BMD full-time

Pros

BMD is a trusted building material supplier and a 70 year old company with a great reputation for saying what they mean and doing what they say. Employee ownership culture contriubtes to many long term employees. Average tenure at BMD is much longer than most companies.

Cons

Hanging on to employees that don't fit our culture for too long.

When the fit isn't there, act quickly to dispatch malcontents. Keep seeking opportunities for growth and advancement.