BMF Media Reviews

1.7
Patricia Gibney

1. Consultant

I worked at BMF Media

Pros

Creative concepts, great executives, fantastic brand relationships.

Cons

Poor fees, disorganized delivery of events, inexperienced teams .

Advice to Management

Getting better qualified staff and paying better salaries. You get what you pay for.

2. Very Creative Company

I worked at BMF Media part-time

Pros

You're exposed to some of the top brands. The events are amazing and provide ways to learn from the ground up.

Cons

Long hours and lack of work life balance

Advice to Management

Interns should get paid

3. Worst place ever

Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in New York, NY

I have been working at BMF Media

Pros

Just the people minus the owners and the brother

Cons

I helped build the company and worked every single job title. They hired an owners friend who didn't know emails, faxes, and got paid THOUSANDS more than me with no experience! I had to do her job most of the time. The originals did not get paid as much as the new hires even with more education and experience. I had to work through sickness, vacations, 7 degree cold-yes it was 7 degrees! Heat was overbearing. Let's not talk about the cursing! The email blasts for their mistakes and throwing people under the bus instead of talking to them in front of clients! Even if it were the owners mistake! The emails- HOW DID this HAPPEN! They don't want me to get into every illegal aspect of what I know but they are highly illegal in work hours. When I quit, I pursued in unemployment which they tried to dispute. Even warned the office manager not to lie- they lost in COURT bc I proved that they were illegal and very absusive- they even tried to sue me and slander my name just because I had the courage to leave! DO NOT whatsoever even risk working here.

Advice to Management

You just need to quit running a company.. You stay on your company paid three week vacations and use them as write offs!

5. the worst in every way

Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY

I worked at BMF Media

Pros

Co workers are awesome. Frequent travel.

Cons

BMF is run by two people who spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on their lavish vacations and trips around the world, but cannot even invest in buying their 30+ employees a water fountain (that's right, we used a Brita). As they travel the world, the rest of us picked up the slack. When there was any sort of discrepancy - the boys were quick to take the clients side and throw anyone under the bus before even consulting with their team. I can't even begin to count the number of condescending emails I received from all 3 partners. Ultimately, they all talk the talk, but can't walk the walk and it's apparent in almost every project the company does.

Advice to Management

You hire amazing people, but you make them miserable. Take a minute to rethink your approach.

6. Event Planning

Former Employee - Talent Management Intern in State College, PA
    Former Employee - Talent Management Intern in State College, PA

I worked at BMF Media (Less than a year)

Pros

laid back work environment, fun people, great clientele, good hours, opportunities to trave

Cons

no room for development, unorganized intern program, management was not there, not paid

Advice to Management

Teach your interns, don't just make them work the door at events and give them an excel doc.

7. Terrible experience working for unethical people

I worked at BMF Media full-time

Pros

There are often free drinks during the events, and the office hours don't usually begin until 10:30, but that doesn't really matter because you WILL be contacted a trillion times beforehand. Located in Flatiron, which is pretty nice area.

Cons

The management are absolutely horrible. Tiny salaries with no room for growth or commission. I got a $500 bonus for Christmas after working an average of 70+ hours a week. I would have preferred nothing, since it was just a slap in the face.

Advice to Management

Be generous to your employees and it will pay dividends. Your business will probably peter out after another year or so once there's a newer, shinier toy in town for the brands to oogle.

8. Producer

I worked at BMF Media

Pros

Sometimes they were snacks. Sometimes the CEOs bought everyone coffee. Got to produce cool events.

Cons

There's a lack of respect at this company which is why everyone keeps quitting. Upper managements especially CEO's give producers, even interns too much remedial and administrative tasks instead of work they are hired to do. Interns are hired, depending on who they are for, come to do admin work. The second layer is that a good bit of the people lack independence and everyone wants an intern to do their dirty work. There's also a lot of hybrid positions. People are hired to be producers but instead get stuck doing administrative work, which is why people quit of course. No one really likes their job, they just come to clock their years and experience and leave, which is pretty terrible.

Advice to Management

HUMBLE YOURSELF AND LET GO OF YOUR EGOS. Respect people for who they are and not what position they're in and maybe people won't quit as much. Also stop giving people your adminstrative work, if you want something done, do it yourself. The Partner should be running the company, not the two that are. Simple.

9. Work here if you like torture.

I worked at BMF Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the employees are talented | Informal dress code | Quick way to learn | Accessible location

Cons

1. Work-life Balance: NONE. Extremely long hours, excessive travel, little to no time off, no regard for personal life (I was endlessly contacted while at a funeral) 2. Working Conditions: ILLEGAL. Forced to work with no heat in the winter, the a/c was so cold in the summer that I often got ill, and at one point there was no working bathroom so we were forced to leave the building and go to the restaurant on the corner to pee! 3. Workload: INEFFICIENT. Worked on 10+ large projects at one time with little to no assistance. This is unfair to the client as you could not give a project the proper attention.
    4. Pay: AN EMPTY PROMISE. They do not base pay on experience but rather it is a contest among employees.
    5. Ethics: ZERO. Execs lack general manners and decorum so pretty sure they don't know the definition of ethics.

Advice to Management

Learn to respect your employees and what they do for you and provide a healthy and legal working environment. I applaud your ability to hire great people that are willing to suffer, but one late night holiday party won't make up for a year of slavery. Also, when you hire people, you need to place them in roles they actually want and are qualified for, not just fill random positions with anyone you know.

10. Don't Intern/Work here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at BMF Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NYC
    Opportunity to go to events during the week, if you aren't too busy with whatever execs/office staff pushes off on you
    People you work with endure with you and are nice, if they are still there...

Cons

Asking for time off is like asking your parents if you can spend the night at a friends house in Middle School.
    Work long hours and usually have to work on weekends even though execs make you feel insufficient for dedicating the extra hours on the weekends to keep up and not finishing workload during work week.
    Low pay for the amount of work.
    Interns are taken advantage of and spend most of their time doing administrative duties.
    No bonuses for quality work.
    Company values are nonexistent, owner wore a shirt that said "pervert" on it to own event.
    AC doesn't work in the summer and Heater doesn't work in the winter

Advice to Management

If you expect people to work outrageous hours and do favors for you then you should properly compensate them for their efforts. When you hire interns let them know the majority of their labor is administrative or pay them because what you are currently doing is illegal. Get an office manager that isn't technologically inept and doesn't have mental breakdowns 3 times week. Take a leadership course and learn how to lead by example. Fix the climate control for the office so it is a comfortable environment for your dedicated employees and cut your salary a tiny bit to keep up with office necessities/essentials. Be kind to your staff and don't act like a diva, not the best way to motivate.

11. No work life balance and low pay and work is not rewarded

Former Employee - Head Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Head Manager in New York, NY

I worked at BMF Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The co-workers with the accusations of the ones related to the owners

Cons

Being thrown under bus if management makes mistakes-blasted on company email- reviews are late so raises are too- the person below still works there because I know as I was very high in the company and not one person would say that- forced to work when deathly ill. Problems with taking full lunches- I could go on but this site won't allow me to post the whole truth- 's Gibney was hired bc she's a friend of the boss mom and has no experience and had to be trained even with a simple fax- spends most of the time shopping and getting mad at dirty dishes instead of running an already disorganized office-the one persone person who helped start the company and managed it left last year and they were awful about her quitting even though she built the place-

Advice to Management

Take classses, hire experienced people- don't hire for one position and stick people in different places- 12-14 hours a day is not realistic-stand by your employees and stop.giving gifts of planting trees in Israel as gifts to people who aren't Jewish- it's offensive

RSS Feed </> Embed