BMO Financial Group

BMO Financial Group Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

BMO Financial Group President and CEO, BMO Financial and Director Bill Downe

Bill Downe

Pros
  • Good work life balance in certain groups(in 38 reviews)

• Good benefits- especially 6 Weeks parental leave,(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad work life balance in others(in 9 reviews)

• The sales targets are ridiculous and very hard to meet month by month(in 16 reviews)

Poor first-line management and long hours work

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsOk for the benefits and compensation while salary is a bit lower comparing with other banks.

ConsPoor first-line management - although top management emphasis people (employee) is one of the keys for the success of the company's success, however, many first-line managers do not treat their employee well with respect and appreciation. Those first-line managers only care about results, their promotion instead of employees' efforts.
    Long hours overtime without management support.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employee with respect, appreciation and fairly.

You are a number to the company

Personal Banker (Former Employee)

ProsPay was pretty decent, especially if you met or exceeded your monthly goals.

ConsWeekly call nights
    High sales goals
    Work life balance
    Out of touch management
    Lack of operational help

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the work that your employees do, not just strive for higher and higher expectations.

Limited moral compass, typical bureaucracy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCanadian Banks are stable. Make their shareholders money. Respected worldwide as financial entities.

ConsLiterally saw senior leadership targeting people who couldn't afford credit cards with marketing aimed at getting them...credit cards. Old school, outdated thinking. Built projected credit card losses into their exorbitant credit card interest rates. So anthing the collectors (yes, they have in house collectors) recouped was literally gravy.

Advice to Senior ManagementLateral thinking. Thought leadership. Don't look at community service as a line item. Send your management teams to work at Van City for a few months and learn about authentic customer stewardship.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst Call center Job I've ever taken

Customer Contact Agent (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros-Wage -paid even if sick/absent -Benefits -nothing else

Cons-There are alot of unethical and disrespectful managers, these are usually dressed in extremely sharp business atire, and they do the training. There are some very good trainers with a good and kind heart though

-Sales targets are unrealistic and they want you to answer as many customers, talk under 4 minutes, read a 3 minute sales script without missing a word(or your sale doesn't count) and they want you to sell hundreds of dollars per day, if you miss any of these things they will embarass you in front of other collegues by having an assistant manager micromanage you while you are on a call.

-There is little value placed on the individual. You are either a "yes man" naturally who doesn't have a problem with faking it or you will feel you are killing a part of your soul every single day just so that you can meet sales targets.

-They have goals that are too diverse and conflict with each other! So when you are doing one perfect, you will suffer in another area and they will NOT excuse this... they will punish you for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrop the "balanced" scorecard. It isn't balanced at all. Choose what you want most and remove half of the goals. Unless you dramatically reduce your goals and make them more human friendly...you will see people quit often.

Underpaying for a recent grad job

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsBenefits are alright. CSR gets 3 weeks of vacation. I'm PT. Could vary for different locations. Aside from that...that's it. There's no FT role for awhile if you're PT CSR. There is room for growth but only if you can stay there long enough. This isn't a job that you can live off from.

ConsAll they care for is the sell targets. They don't pay you for over working nor overtime. Don't pay for any extra hours you put in. It's all about targets and meeting them. They want you to serve as many customers as possible and sometimes that means missing your break which they then tell you that you can't take because it was your fault that you over worked...contradicting much? Getting time off if you're sick is near impossible as management would still want you to work when you're sick unless quoted "You're dying". I've never had such a manager tell me that I had to come to work when I'm really sick that even the doctor told me not to go work.

Recent grads, this is just a stepping stone but you can't live off the pay they pay you for sure.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay for the hours we actually work.

HORRIBLE WORKPLACE

Call Center Agent (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsSalary, vacation time for the work we do, sick days and bravo points towards shopping!!!

ConsWhere do i begin!!! No salary is worth every five minutes or so getting constant emails and instant messages about how you are not meeting sales. You are publicly humiliated with coaching and all they concentrate on is your negative calls you had rather than anything good that you might have done... and get real.. you have to have a conversation in under 4 minutes to sell, resolve the call, explain things to customers, look up their stupid business process which is so not user friendly and you cannot ask your manager any questions cause they look at you weird when you do. Managers are picked easy not by the attitude or respect they have towards you. The management consists of young people who power trip and insult your intelligence. Get over yourselves people. I have seen a manager who has a filthy desk with shoes and clothes underneath and i am supposed to look up to these people?
    Trust me do not buy into their salary offer, just go elsewhere and stay far away from this place as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees and start hiring competent people to work and do not mistreat people as you know very well you are no better than anyone else just because you are in a higher role

Bank of Montreal Capital Markets

Systems Support Analyst (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- Close to the Union station.

Cons- Management does not have necessary skills to understand his/her subordinates' job.
    - Micro managed by the management.
    - long work hours and less pay.
    - Huge disconnect between different departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire skilled managers to run all the departments.
    Stop micro managing people.
    Start communication channel from bottom up, not the other way.

Highly Incompetent

Software Developer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsLocation accessible by public transport, rate was ok.

ConsI didn't know what kind of team I got into. People were completely incompetent and assuming to the point of arrogance. Everybody from developers, management and stakeholders. Their attitudes and approaches do not align with BMO's corporate values (First Principles) in any way. They hold you at their whim, with no responsibility on their end. Extremely hard to work in these conditions, even though I was the only one putting my foot forward to do A+ work. Delivered my project and bailed. Sort out your mess, BMO.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe workforce needs some serious reorganization, modernization and training. Projects need better management and prioritization.

Company is very unorganized and not employee friendly

Mortgage Banker (Current Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsBig Bank, promotes in house referrals for additional compensation

ConsWas told to sign a new employment contract that states that if a customer you did a mortgage for defaults, you will have to pay back commissions!! How is that even possible, seeing mortgage bankers don't make the decision for loan approval??? Huge problem with I.T. depts. and HR is sources out as well as most of the depts. Hard to get help!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above

bmo experience

Master Card (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Prosonly one that you have a job

Conshigh stress , fast -paced for 33k

Advice to Senior Managementcome down a few levels your not the ceo

Worked for BMO Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!