BMO Financial Group

Updated March 4, 2015
3.3

BMO Financial Group President and CEO, BMO Financial and Director Bill Downe
Bill Downe

Pros
  • Good work life balance in certain groups (in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits- especially 6 Weeks parental leave, (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad work life balance in others (in 11 reviews)

• It can be hard to move into other areas depending what location you work at (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

CUSTOMER SERVICE REP

Former Freelancer - Customer Contact Agent in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Freelancer - Customer Contact Agent in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at BMO Financial Group (less than a year)

Pros

retailer, supply chain, good repution

Cons

hard to get in this company

customer service

I have been working at BMO Financial Group

Pros

good workers. they were really nice and tried to help out a lot. the staff is friendly and quite supportive of eachother

Cons

pay is very low. management pushes you to sell stuff to customers and lie to them about bank accounts just for profit. a lot of favoritism goes on as well

unpleasant working environment. Had to work with some extremely underqualified people with low work ethics.

Former Employee - Financial Services Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Financial Services Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at BMO Financial Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a good starting experience for a student. It is a good company name to put on your resume.

Cons

Extremely low salaries, in motivating work environment and culture within the team.

Motivate your employees better, pay compatible salaries.

BMO

Former Contractor - IFL Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Contractor - IFL Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at BMO Financial Group as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I have nothing to share for pros

Cons

A company that reports high profits every quarter hires contract employees on a regular basis to avoid paying benefits and vacation time. Contract employees are treated like outsiders and oftetimes full-time employees are condescending to them. The contract rates are also lower than anywhere else I have encountered. Promotion from inside, and through "brown-nosing" is quite frequent.

Senior leadership may want to take a look at how things go in the lower ranks. A more caring approach to employees and more attention to how your code of business conduct is observed, not to metion work/life balance, would definitely benefit your organization and would ensure you attract the best of the best.

Bmo believes it is moving forward however it is moving backwards

I have been working at BMO Financial Group

Pros

The employee share ownership program

Cons

Bmo does not value its employees

If you like any type of sales and don't mind screwing your customers then work here!

Current Employee - Everyday Banking Customer Contact Agent in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at BMO Financial Group

Pros

- If you sell a lot you will get good bonuses.

- You don't need a high education to do well in a bank so that's a plus for some.

- Profit sharing is really good along with the total benefits package.

- Cool colleagues to work with.

- Nice location in the Old Port.

Cons

- If you want to work in an environment of mutual respect then this is not the place for you.

- Degrading treatment from management if you're not meeting your objectives.

- Very high pressure and high competition for minimal reward.

- Screwing customers over should be part of the job description because it's done daily. Do I need to mention MasterCard balance insurance?

- A lot of people left for TD and RBC where the benefits were better apparently.

- Very high turnover with little effort in moving employees to more suitable departments.

- Coeercion and threats during training to get "poorly performing" trainees to quit.

Managers should learn how to manage their employees!

WORST contracting experience...EVER

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at BMO Financial Group as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Paid handsomely to do absolutely nothing all day for several months. Also sat next to some of the nicest Capital Market Technology PM ladies I have ever met. Self-initiated study led to my learning vasts amounts of knowledge on US and Canadian regulations, particularly Dodd-Frank Act which I will now transfer to my next contracting gig. Hours were also quite stable.

Cons

Was hired to be a senior Project Management for a massive, company-wide US regulatory initiative. During interview and first day, was again advised I should expect loads of work and travel. Despite asking daily for an opportunity to work on anything (even if not meaningful), I received little to no direction yet whenever I was proactive, I was usually reprimanded for doing something not asked for. My manager and his program manager lacked collaboration and communication skills. It was the first time I met a lawyer who was so in-methodical and disorganized. The entire project group faced constant criticisms from all business partners daily as a result. Program Manager was openly hostile in meetings with business partners and other PMs. I was kept on-board for several months before being let go for "not meeting work requirements".

Assign individuals with the proper balance of collaboration/communication skills and long-term vision. Assigning a non-people person (who has a poor professional reputation within the firm) that cannot delegate because he doesn't "trust the other people"is a sure-fire way to ensure the failure of the major compliance project. Ensure the employee tasked doesn't suffer from extreme tunnel vision and understands not everything is task-based; they must understand stakeholder engagement and following due (enterprise-wide) methodologies/processes is a beneficial, if not essential, part of managing a massive change positively.

You couldn't pay me enough to go back

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at BMO Financial Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Moderate benefits package and good stock options.

Cons

Little to no movement out of branch to corporate. People remain stuck in the same job for 5 years plus with little motivation to improve themselves.
    Pressure to sign customers up for a credit card application with poor credit history or no little income is immoral.
    Terrible banking products when compared with international standards.
    Atrocious educational opportunities for employees.

Think about customer service first and don't nickel and dime customers.
    Provide better opportunities for education.

Financial services manager

Former Employee - Financial Services Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Financial Services Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at BMO Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are no more best reasons working at BMO. Don't even think about applying sales or service positions. My overall rating of BMO is minus 5 stars

Cons

Sales, Sales, Sales and Revenue, Revenue, Revenue...that is what they only care about. BMO lost good customer services. No more strong teamwork between colleagues. 17 years at BMO, I was very happy to go to work first 10 years. Now it became hell. Customers are forced to take unnecessary products....if I am not a BMO employee, I would never banking with BMO.

In short term, BMO may profits from pushing hard FSM and CSR for the revenue target but in long term, you will lose everything. BMO new brend...human?...I am just laughing at it.

financial services manager

Current Employee - Financial Services Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BMO Financial Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

extensive training courses are offerend

Cons

not human to employees, employees are treated like slave. abusing their paid break time and vacation time to use as sick day. Hiring direct family members in same branch. One of the most failure hiring management system in sales industry that lenient on their family members in same branch while giving immense stress to other sales team to bridge the sales gap to help their family members to meet the target.

before bmo advertises their vision "be human to customer," they need to be human to employees.

BMO Financial Group Photos