BMO Financial Group

BMO Financial Group Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

BMO Financial Group President and CEO, BMO Financial and Director Bill Downe

Bill Downe

Pros
  • Good work life balance in certain groups(in 38 reviews)

• Good benefits- especially 6 Weeks parental leave,(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad work life balance in others(in 9 reviews)

• The sales targets are ridiculous and very hard to meet month by month(in 16 reviews)

Ok place to work for but nothing exceptional

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros-Great people to work with.
    -Good work/life balance, there is flexibility.

Cons-Management has no clue as to what they are doing. Scrambling to be at the forefront but at times lacking direction.
    -No room for advancement
    -Compensation is a bit on the low end

BMO full of values but too politicized to implement.

Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsPays high but their values are not what they practice.

ConsToo political from top to down

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not play politic and check on your direct reports as well as managers by getting to know well and in person the people working for them

Great company that allows you to balance work and life.

Senior Applications Software Developer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood compensation package and a lot of opportunities to learn. Managers encourage you to learn. Stability and job security, most of the people I met have been working for BMO for long time.

ConsSalary is lower than other company in the same sector for some positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalary compensation needs to be revised.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

PCPO is a hell hole

ProsPeople are ok, but they only look out for number one.

Work hours are flexible

ConsPeople are over worked and take their anger out on the bathroom floors

tech support

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsBig name, nice people and money is ok

Conspoor management,and managers never think about thire people thinking.

Hard work doesn't pay

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsIf you can get a permanent position that's good, stock option helps saving. Get the experience and then move on for better pay.

ConsFavoritism is over the top. Pay increases are pathetic, no where near the cost of living; in ratio to what upper management and executives receive it is very sad. Minimal training opportunities.

Overall nice environment to work in

Investment Advisor (Former Employee)

ProsGood variety of interesting people work at BMO. The environment I've worked in was a call centre for investments. It was a nice place to work in, especially for the friendly coworkers you meet there.

Conscertain IT systems would need to be updated and the salary may be slightly less than the competition.

Advice to Senior Managementflexible work hours are good for employee satisfaction.

Great people, chaotic company

Marketing (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThere are some really great people at BMO and good management in place (in my department), lots of fun team building activities.

ConsYou are just another employee here that can be dispensable. The open concept office is terrible for getting work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven though entry level employees aren't the most highly skilled or knowledgable- be sure to pay attention to them, help them grow so they will want to stay with you for years.

Alright, Good name to put on your resume.

Financial Services Manager (Current Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Prosaverage work/life balance. Very friendly staff and managers.

ConsHigh Sales targets. Low pay compared to amount of money brought in. Opportunity for advancement is clear and achievable but very slow. You have to work more than 37.5 hours per week to beat your targets or even meet them. Putting people into mutual funds greatly helps in meeting targets but risking peoples life savings on things they don't know anything about seems so stupid (although its not really the banks fault, I just wish people put more efforts into learning about their finances..)

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more.

A good place to work

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsBMO provides an employee centric work environment including salary, benefits, and support.

ConsIndividuals promoted to leadership positions too frequently lack good people management skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst and foremost, people management skill should be the criteria for promotion / employment in a people management position. Aggressive managers who intimidate employees need to pursued and fired.

Worked for BMO Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!