BMOC

Add Photos

William J. Levy, CPM

Exceptional Work Environment and Promotional Opportunities

I have been working at BMOC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Great access to upper management, who are both cordial and knowledgeable.
- Accredited owner who teaches Real Estate Management for IREM
- Provides exceptional 'on the job training' which lead to opportunities within the company
- Owner has put employees through school, previously, and values loyalty
- Some employees have worked for BMOC, inc for more than a decade
- Ever expanding student housing portfolio allows for travel
- Relaxed work environment - Bill buys pizza at the corporate office for the staff every Friday

Cons- Have to work hard in order to stand out and make an impact
- Longer hours in the summer during 'turn' - can not take much of any 'time off' in July and August
- Need to be willing to re-locate to take advantage of some of the advancement opportunities

Advice to Senior Management- Management makes a good effort to keep tabs on the 'pulse' of all of its properties
- More resident outreach may streamline that effort some, and allow for issues that might otherwise be covered up, to be taken care of

Unparalleled learning opportunities and extensive growth opportunities.

I have been working at BMOC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros-Learning from a student housing seasoned CEO that has worked in every position from Community Assistant to CEO.
-Ability to express and implement creative ideas that can be adopted company-wide.
-Recognition for achievements.
-Hands on management approach. The upper sales and management teams are always in the field working with on-site staffs to assist in leasing, marketing and operations.
-Consistent and inviting work environment.

ConsTravel to multiple student housing sites may or may not be expected from upper management but is a vital part to reaching out to the on-site staffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain the close relationships between the on-site staffs and upper management.

Short term and forgettable career choice

ResidenceLife (Former Employee)
Madison, WI

I worked at BMOC part-time for more than a year

Pros-Great co-workers and friendships
-Young environment
-Easy tasks- very straightforward and common sense
-Dining Hall on site for staff lunches

Cons-No positive reinforcement or opportunity for advancement given
-Extremely high staff turnover
-Disorganized and unprofessional work environment
-No regard for well being and satisfaction of current residents, only concerned with gaining new residents and signing leases

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow those you hire to do their job without bullying from management, listen and improve human resources, and focus on retaining and satisfying current residents/customers.

Greatest experience of wishing I never worked here.

Property Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours
Industry recognition
Freedom to do what ever needed to be done.

ConsUpper management promised increase in salary for additional work to be done and a bonus. Never came. Too many people that are not experienced getting involved with other people's jobs due to management not having direct leadership. What a pathetic place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the people you hire to do their job and leave your ego in the office. You may learn something from the talented people you hire.

Embarassing Career Choice

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BMOC

Pros- Flexibility
- Freedom
- Work at your own pace
- Learn from others
- Great co-workers and friends
- Get to meet some great residents, parents and community leaders

ConsOverall the environment at Bmoc is very poor. The company is extremely unorganized and upper management is rude. Bonuses are promised and never paid. Staff is treated poorly and taught things that will ultimately hurt the residents and reputation of the buildings and company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your staff with respect and don't promist things that you cannot provide. You need to think about the long term goals of the company, not temporary fixes.

My skills and assets where leveraged for the financial betterment of the CEO with a false promise of advancement.

Property Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at BMOC

Pros1. It is a place where you can learn a great deal.
2. You often have the ability to take on new responsibilities.
3. It is very easy to get a job here, they hire nearly anyone.

Cons1. There is an illusion of advancement here. You can take on all the responsibility however the pay will never increase to match that responsibility.
2. There is a lot of opportunity to learn, however that opportunity is 'on your own' you are thrown into positions and some people make it and some people don't. Those that do not are described by senior management as "lazy" or "stupid".
3. Senior management preys on the 'need' of people to work. Compensation is never in writing and bonuses and commissions are rarely paid.
4. There is nearly a 100% turnover each and every year. There are only three employees in the organization that have been there longer than three (3) years.
5. Raises are given and then taken away.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be honest with your approach to those persons right out of college. If you wish to only hire people for a short time and provide them with some basic skills and work them till they decide to go elsewhere that is fine. Do not promote the illusion that there is any type of a future working for BMOC as there is not. This is evident by the incredibly high turnover which is arguable four times the industry average.

The best place for career development and learning

I have been working at BMOC

ProsWe are an IREM baseline company, so easy to use forms and national information.
Entrepreneur atmosphere
I worked for the national student housing companies BMOC is much better
You can trust the CEO, not a salesman like my last job
Treats the customer with respect
Treats the employees with honor
One word – Ethical, what a concept, the other companies should learn it!

ConsYou need to work hard
Intense competitor
You cannot sit behind your desk all day
Wants to be the best
Hard work, but worth it!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease never become the ego maniacs the other students housing leaders have become. Keep the focus "It is all about the students"

Its alright

I have been working at BMOC

ProsFlexible hours and industry average pay

Consits a butt kissing contest. whoever wins has the best opportunity for advacement

Advice to Senior Managementpick more than one or two people to give feedback on 30 plus people.

Amazing Company!

I have been working at BMOC

Pros-Fun, exciting, fast-paced learning environment
-Hard workers are recognized
-Company promotes within
-Flexible hours
-Friendly staff

Cons-Long hours
-Stress
-Lack of privacy

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat company overall. Proud to be a part of BMOC!

Great place to learn and grow

I have been working at BMOC

ProsI learned more working at BMOC in my first 6 months than I had in 2 years with another student property management company. The company is focused on results for property owners. The company "gets it" in how to best run a property and deliver excellent customer service, and has great ideas on how to add amenities and extra services to increase the value delivered to residents. Very in touch with student wants and needs.

The company has a strong emphasis on growth from within, employee development, and education.

ConsAt a certain point, you might have to relocate to move up, but that is an inherent part of the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you to senior management for giving employees the tools, resources, and support to help us be successful in the field. And thanks for not being timid in providing constructive criticism that helps everyone meet objectives and grow professionally.

Worked for BMOC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BMOC reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BMOC CEO William J. Levy, CPM . All 12 reviews posted anonymously by BMOC employees.