BNP Media

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Harper Henderson

Great experience in B2B media sales!

Advertising Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at BNP Media full-time for more than 10 years

ProsInnovative company developing products and services for the B2B trade publishing industry.

ConsLack of emphasis on personal growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive management needs to realize their greatest asset is human.

Clueless upper senior management

I worked at BNP Media full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNot many. This use to be a nice company to work for.

ConsThe 3 sons/CEO's are losing grip of their company. Individuals responsible for leading brands were let go. Possibly, they know this because these leading brands are now losing market share in a major way.

One of the CEO's made this comment years ago. "It is not about the people, it is about the brand."

That comment causes failure. And, it is definitely noticeable at BNP.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink before terminating individuals that play a very important roll to a publications success. People do matter for a brands success, especially with industry experience.

Reasonable for entry level, get out after you have some experience.

I worked at BNP Media full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome great people work there

ConsUpper management and owners lack leadership skills

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to define corporate values, culture and be transparent with employees.

Good for a first right out of college experience, a bit unfair, and catty.

Audience Development Coordinator (Former Employee)
Troy, MI

I worked at BNP Media full-time for more than a year

ProsPlethora of experiences, get your hands on a lot of different projects- which I used to make myself more marketable on my job search. Also had more responsibility than most would have right out of college.

ConsNo actual training, a lot of contradictory practices, a lot of work for little pay, people who are good "talkers" are rewarded while their work gets displaced on others. Not many verbal affirmations, or much talk from management at all- unless they need something. Very quiet environment. Management is very catty. It was stressful to hear my boss talking crap about everyone all the time. I would usually plug into my music to focus.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward those who work hard or you will continue to stay stagnant. You are losing hard workers over silly issues.

Growing company, family owned

I have been working at BNP Media full-time

ProsFlexible work schedule
Cloud-based technology allows easy access to job resources
Respectful working environment
Responsive reporting structure

ConsLittle to no pay raises offered
Labor resources are disproportionately allocated in favor of select brands
Seems to favoring flash over substance
Slow to upgrade IT hardware, software and technology

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that employees are brand assets and compensate them accordingly
Work to better integrate satellites and larger offices with consistent technology and resources

Great place to work

I have been working at BNP Media full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people I worked with were wonderful. The hours were great (getting off at 4:15 meant we missed most of the rush hour traffic). Great boss who didn't micromanage and had a sense of humor.

ConsThe only real con when I joined was the somewhat low pay, but given the time frame and the fact that the entire company had taken a pay cut (top to bottom) to help them through tough times I can't really complain.

Great for working mothers

I worked at BNP Media full-time for more than 3 years

Prosflexible work schedule, great growth vision

Conslow salary, no advancement opportunity

Get experience and then get out

I have been working at BNP Media full-time

ProsFlexibility. Company started working your way program meaning there are no paid holidays or vacation days. Can take time off as long as the work gets done. Depending on your department, it can be a great benefit. But most that I know are too busy to even take much time off. Or if they do they must check email and stay in contact. Probably a good place for someone to start right out of school ..but get your experience and then get out. There are far better places to work!

ConsVERY low pay. Company drastically cut salaries years ago and no raises since. No reviews. Many are grossly underpaid for level of responsibility. Management positions are filled as people leave by the next person in line, regardless of whether they are qualified or experienced.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't expect your employees to work indefinitely without any hope of a raise.

Run In The Opposite Direction

FORMER BNP EMPLOYEE (Former Employee)

I worked at BNP Media full-time for less than a year

ProsFlexibility a plus. But, in my position, I still put in 60-70 hours a week, when you included work outside of regular hours.

ConsLack of vision among all the top brass. High turnover. Nepotism and favoritism. Inability of Upper Management to handle issues correctly or with any class at all. BNP Media employees, with the exception of some, are mostly incompetent and ignorant to company vision, because there is none.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. You have your favorites and that shall be your downfall if you do not come up with a better strategy.

Not a good company to work for if you are interested in staying at one company for many years.

Sales (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at BNP Media full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome of their titles are well liked by the readers and have been around for years. In this economy, still being in business is good.

ConsThe pillars of management stifle creativity and keep good ideas from being utilized. They will find reasons to get rid of anyone who speaks negatively and gets reported.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnjoy the business while it's good!

Worked for BNP Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BNP Media reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BNP Media CEO Harper Henderson. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by BNP Media employees.