BNP Paribas

BNP Paribas Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 10, 2014

BNP Paribas CEO and Director Jean-Laurent Bonnafé

Jean-Laurent Bonnafé

Pros
  • Really friendly place to work with a great approach to work life balance(in 42 reviews)

• Relaxed work environment with the opportunity to learn(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough people to perform the necessary work; not a good work-life balance(in 15 reviews)

• Long hours (it's banking, what do you expect)(in 9 reviews)

73 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fantastic place to intern

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI worked at BNP Paribas as an intern earlier this year in the Manhattan office. The people are friendly and engaging, the work interesting and the compensation for interns was very high, better than other banks I've interned with.

ConsLong hours (it's banking, what do you expect). Many employees are French nationals or French speakers so it can be difficult to talk with them or join a conversation when they aren't speaking English.

Experience at BNP

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsYounger management, less of a logjam at the Director/MD level.

ConsBad place if you are American. There is a blatant preference preference for native French speakers.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou cannot rely on the high margin, complex products. The basic blocking & tackling would bolster the bottom line with an investment in equity research.

Analyst

Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsVacation days, pretty laid back environment,401k etc. Great people, very friendly

ConsGets frustrating after a while because If you are not French, dont expect advancement. Not worth working here unless all you are looking for is a paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Credit

Credit Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat company to work for.
    Excellent work-life balance. Management is very qualified.
    Bank has been the leader in Europe.

ConsBad current advertising.....
    Please do not let the current event to guide your point of view on this great company.

Steady, no rock & roll

Front Office Sales (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsVaried landscape
    Variety of work
    People focused

ConsThey keep all the dross
    Managers are clueless ( in general )
    Poor salaries

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the layers of management in France

The French do not know how to run or manage the investment banking business in the US.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere were some very good people there, the office environment in NYC was generally collegial, and the infrastructure and systems while *way below* the quant systems of other big i-banks, were workable if you could program them yourself or get a sheet built for you. The compensation was significantly below the larger banks, but the work hours were less demanding and the amount of vacation was downright absurd (7 weeks).

ConsThere was constant tension with Paris or London, who tried to micro-manage every decision or client relationship. They kept people around who never made money, were terrified of making decisions, and hid themselves in layers of opaque management. They also fired people who did make money because they either didn't fit into the culture or challenged management. It was bizarre at times.

IT System

IT Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe biggest draw of this company is its great vacation package. AVPs get 30 vacation days and VPs get 35 vacation days. This cannot be beat by any wall street company that I know of.

People are very friendly and hardworking in the group that I'm working at.

ConsToo much bureaucracy in the workplace which prevents productive work. Management does not listen to the opinions or suggestions of the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the smart, talented people in your organization before you lose them!

It was not a good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosgood vacation time, some very bright people, interesting events for women and minority involvement

ConsNot enough people to perform the necessary work; not a good work-life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough there were interesting events for women and minorities, not a lot of opportunities for women to advance high in the organization structure or to receive equal pay.

Sales Director

Front Office Sales (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood vacation package. Good place to learn. Smart people in derivatives space.

ConsNot a great platform to work for. Very dysfunctional office. Management attitude is divide and conquer. I would recommend working for BNP Paribas but simply outside of the US. If you are not French it remains difficult to grow within the company.

Choose wisely!

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsNone that I can think of

ConsToo many to list - just read the financial news

Advice to Senior ManagementFOLLOW THE REGULATION

Worked for BNP Paribas? Contribute to the Community!