BNY Mellon Reviews in Boston, MA

2.8
1,223 Reviews

BNY Mellon Chairman, President and CEO Gerald Hassell
Gerald Hassell

Pros
  • I also get to work from home when needed, making the work life balance easier to handle (in 116 reviews)

• Many good benefits, however, management was not proactive in developing talent (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no room for GROWTH and the PAY SUCKS OVERALL (in 25 reviews)

• All the hard works we done are not appreciated by the senior management of the company (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good employer to grow and spend a career working for

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time for more than a year

Pros

great people, very helpful and supportive, not much work life balance, great opportunities for advancement

Cons

Very stagnant culture, no team building opportunities, great leadership and definite opportunities to advance

keep up the good work.

Mellon is DEAD, Long Live BONY and that's not good.

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you do not work therer or are a client that's a plus!

Cons

While not a sinking ship. It's no longer the place to work or be a client. They sold their procucts by differentiating themselves on superior client service. Then they fire most of the client facing staff. They are just like State Street, it's all about cost saving and firing people to saves $. Don't be a client and don't be an employee.

Ha, like they would listen, they are to busy talking about how safe his/her car is compared to the cars "You All" drive. You are just like State Street now, nothing special and you can thank Gerry for it and watch your share price stay stuck in the mud. You change the structure so often you should see if you could sell that service to others, too bad you suck at that too! Hence, you are always changing it and it is adding no value so you are useless.

Company going donwhill - hostile work environment under CEO Gerald Hassell

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

BNY Mellon was previously a fantastic company with strong values and a true client service focused atmosphere. I was proud to work here. Line managers allow you to take on many special projects so that you can grow both personally and professionally. Flexible work arrangements here are second to none.

Cons

The company has changed dramatically over the past year and more specifically since CEO Gerald Hassell took over for Bob Kelly. While cost cutting measures are critical to our stability and growth, employees are paying the price for expensive acquisitions that have not seen the ROI we expected. Employees have seen bonuses eliminated, Health Insurance benefits go downhill, a freeze on raises, a freeze on even managers buying coffee and donuts at a meeting. Employees have to use their own personal laptop and cell phone and travel to meetings with no reimbursement. Job "restructuring" singling people out for demotion. This is the nightmare we heard about that was the culture at The Bank of New York and it is now being revisited.

Pay attention to your number one asset which is the skill and knowledge base of your employees. You cannot keep chipping away at morale and expect the company to be successful.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work Life makes the deal.

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The best part of my job are the people I work with. My team members are extremely dedicated and talented in their job. I also get to work from home when needed, making the work life balance easier to handle.

Cons

Time and money are wasted on initiatives that are not fully vetted. Upper Senior management does not listen to the people on the ground, doing the actual work. In the IT world, this is painfully evident. Lately there seems to also be a culture shift in the IT world from one of collaboration with senior management towards intimidation/fear. Rule by the numbers is now the exclusive measure. A blend of metrics along with proven business insight should be the norm instead. Also, there is very little career advancement in the IT world.

In the IT world, management should stop relying so heavily on intimidation and metrics. There should be a collaboration and direct responsibility between IT and the business in order to tie the two lines together.

Content

Current Employee - Operations Analyst  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Individual contributor, meet people who are willing to help you achieve your goals, small group of people but there is some

Cons

Not a lot of room to grow in certain area.

Great

Current Employee - Portfolio Accountant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Portfolio Accountant in Boston, MA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment to work in

Cons

No room to move up

Pay more

Frustrating and discouraging

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A very global company that works to promote diversity.

CEO worked here for all of professional life - it's nice to have a leader that hasn't jumped from company to company but has worked their way up.

Cons

It seems that the merger of Bank of New York and Mellon wasn't handled well. There are still a lot of people who will state "this isn't how we used to do things" and management seems to ignore this issue. For those who came in after it can cause some challenges.

Also, even when a mandate is made by the CEO there are still groups that consider themselves immune to these mandates and it seems that it is never addressed. It can put support staff in an "us vs. them" situation which is difficult.

Stand by your initiatives. If the entire company should be cost saving, then make sure that upper management supports that initiative and isn't going to try to find a way around it. Make sure people are on the same page.

Train Managing Directors in how to manage their staff. Yelling and flipping out aren't motivators.......

Recruiter

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Boston, MA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work hours are consistent, no overtime

Cons

Salary less than other peer companies

There are some great people there, but the best have already left.

Current Employee - Managing Director  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good work/life balance and generally fellow employees want to succeed.

Cons

Clearly there is a lack of leadership and the merger hasn't helped anyone. There is a sense that many people are frozen as they wait to be laid off or retire.

Do something that indicates you have a clue.

Incredibly nice coworkers. Learned a lot during my 2 months there.

Former Employee - Summer High-school Intern  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Summer High-school Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at BNY Mellon as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly and very easy going supervisors

Cons

Programs needed for work don't work right away.

Worked for BNY Mellon? Contribute to the Community!