BNY Mellon

BNY Mellon Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated May 28, 2014

BNY Mellon Chairman, President and CEO Gerald Hassell

Gerald Hassell

Pros
  • I also get to work from home when needed, making the work life balance easier to handle(in 114 reviews)

• Many good benefits, however, management was not proactive in developing talent(in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no room for GROWTH and the PAY SUCKS OVERALL(in 25 reviews)

• Disconnected senior management who don't communicate effectively (if at all) with the troops(in 46 reviews)

30 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good employer to grow and spend a career working for

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Prosgreat people, very helpful and supportive, not much work life balance, great opportunities for advancement

ConsVery stagnant culture, no team building opportunities, great leadership and definite opportunities to advance

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work.

Work Life makes the deal.

Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe best part of my job are the people I work with. My team members are extremely dedicated and talented in their job. I also get to work from home when needed, making the work life balance easier to handle.

ConsTime and money are wasted on initiatives that are not fully vetted. Upper Senior management does not listen to the people on the ground, doing the actual work. In the IT world, this is painfully evident. Lately there seems to also be a culture shift in the IT world from one of collaboration with senior management towards intimidation/fear. Rule by the numbers is now the exclusive measure. A blend of metrics along with proven business insight should be the norm instead. Also, there is very little career advancement in the IT world.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the IT world, management should stop relying so heavily on intimidation and metrics. There should be a collaboration and direct responsibility between IT and the business in order to tie the two lines together.

Content

Operations Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIndividual contributor, meet people who are willing to help you achieve your goals, small group of people but there is some

ConsNot a lot of room to grow in certain area.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great

Portfolio Accountant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat environment to work in

ConsNo room to move up

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more

Frustrating and discouraging

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsA very global company that works to promote diversity.

CEO worked here for all of professional life - it's nice to have a leader that hasn't jumped from company to company but has worked their way up.

ConsIt seems that the merger of Bank of New York and Mellon wasn't handled well. There are still a lot of people who will state "this isn't how we used to do things" and management seems to ignore this issue. For those who came in after it can cause some challenges.

Also, even when a mandate is made by the CEO there are still groups that consider themselves immune to these mandates and it seems that it is never addressed. It can put support staff in an "us vs. them" situation which is difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand by your initiatives. If the entire company should be cost saving, then make sure that upper management supports that initiative and isn't going to try to find a way around it. Make sure people are on the same page.

Train Managing Directors in how to manage their staff. Yelling and flipping out aren't motivators.......

Recruiter

Recruiter (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsWork hours are consistent, no overtime

ConsSalary less than other peer companies

Incredibly nice coworkers. Learned a lot during my 2 months there.

Summer High-school Intern (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFriendly and very easy going supervisors

ConsPrograms needed for work don't work right away.

There are some great people there, but the best have already left.

Managing Director (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood work/life balance and generally fellow employees want to succeed.

ConsClearly there is a lack of leadership and the merger hasn't helped anyone. There is a sense that many people are frozen as they wait to be laid off or retire.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something that indicates you have a clue.

Miserable

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThey don't charge for parking

ConsTerrible pay, no room for advancement, the cafeteria is lousy, bathrooms have no deoderizers in the old, run down building. Don't expect any type of annual merit based salary increase. Management doesn't care about you at all as a human being. How can I say that? Because we're in the middle of a noreaster blizzard and are stuck here while they get to work from home. That's how. Must be nice. I sure hope I make it home safely. I can't leave for another 3 hours. They say the roads are going to be twice a bad. I'm praying I don't get into an accident. This is the type of company that gives corporations a bad name. It's gotten worse since Gerald Hassell took over. I know, I know. Believe me, I've been looking for another job for awhile now.. The economy stinks.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some common human decency

BNY Mellon Asset Servicing Technology Division

Project Manager II (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsPension, knowledgeable and dedicated employees. Mature processes in place to deliver technology solutions that are aligned with business needs and company objectives.

ConsClosed, heads down environment. Lack of diversity at the top. Ultra conservative leadership in Pittsburgh. Management of employees is more subjective than objective.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell off the Asset Servicing division

Worked for BNY Mellon? Contribute to the Community!