BNY Mellon

2.8 1,129 reviews

BNY Mellon Chairman, President and CEO Gerald Hassell

Gerald Hassell

1,129 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "I also get to work from home when needed, making the work life balance easier to handle"
    in 103 reviews
  • "Many good benefits, however, management was not proactive in developing talent"
    in 61 reviews
Cons:
  • "No room for growth, once someone gets to middle management, the career growth is shut off"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Disconnected senior management who don't communicate effectively (if at all) with the troops"
    in 44 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Stay away from accepting a job at BNY Mellon if you can!!!!

Associate (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFlexible work hours....depending on who your manager is or what group or division you work in. That's about the only pro. Glassdoor should convert the pro box into a con box for BNY Mellon.

ConsExtremely LOW salary - Management doesn't realize that this is the bane of BNYM's existence. In fact, if you ask anyone about working here the first word that comes up is CHEAP, they do not pay. If we can receive emails from the CEnO begging us not to print paper then you can just imagine the type of CHEAP institution this is. Organization at the top is very poor and it shows in the output. There is a meeting for everything. Such a waste of time. Senior Management promotes a panicky environment. Employees are not truly encouraged to think but instead rely on their immediate managers - a way to keep them in line I guess. The PMP (evaluation) process is useless. What's the sense of it if employees are not rewarded for excellent performance? Management for the most is blatantly biased. They push who they want to push and give excuses to the rest of us, then again that's everywhere. Their operating systems are among the worst that I have ever seen. Very dated and hinders efficiency. There is little to no growth to be had at BNY. They promote that if you work hard, you will reap rewards but it's all lies. I have seen BNYM allow great talent to just walk away simply because they do not want them to grow, why? Because they do not want to pay them - CHEAP!! BNY instead retains folks that walk around with canes, literally. I am not talking about disabilities here but folks who have been with the bank for over 4 and 5 decades and have slowed down due to their age. Fair play to them but come on. They retain these guys because their salary requirements are pretty low. I hope the decision makers read Glassdoor. They are a lot of takeaways on here.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize, retain and PAY your talent. It's sad that this is what BNY Mellon is widely known for. You blame the economy for everything. It will work against you soon because it's only a matter of time before no one will want to work here. You show no loyalty to employees and so they will show none to you when the time comes. Get rid of the stupid PMP evaluation system. How do you expect employees to keep coming up with new goals each year if they are doiing the same dead end job and the same tasks year after year. How much can an employee possibly come up with? Just evaluate based on performance for the year. The PMP system is garbage. Morale is very low. Very low.

Good intern opportunitity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay for Interns, decent online training. Management is very approachable.

ConsAwful employee moral and limited opportunities to advance. Full-time pay is pathetic, hense the reason why you can find their job listings anywhere.

Great Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat employees, plenty of growth potential

ConsCan't drive to work, no parking

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hypocrite local managers!

Client Service Manager (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsLong vacation (four weeks) and flexible work schedule. You can work from home but your exepenses for telephone and internet

ConsIt is a sweatshop type of workign environment. Majority of local juniors and senior managers are hypocrite. They can only talk but not doing. Extremely LOW tech! 80% of mannual works can be done better if they know how to applie Excel VBA tool but Unfortunately 90% of local employees are below basic Excel users.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive managers should pay details attention WHY historically every two years re-organization and changing of working procedure but the resistance pushed all the changes back to OLD way of years beofre. The simple answer, the local Houston junior and senior managers are hypocrite.

The Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, Aliens and Pay For Performance

Fund Accounting Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Everett, MA

ProsYou receive a paycheck...that's about all I can say for positives

ConsWhat do the items in the title have in common? None of them exist, especially pay for performance. Unless you consider a 1% raise adequate compensation for your efforts. On top of that you will have the pleasure of being forced ranked at review time.
    Here is what you need to know:
    Stay out of Fund accounting (CARS) at all costs. This group has been letting people leave without replacing them for years, as part of their cost saving strategy.
    Work is being sent to India left and right.Everyone there is on borrowed time and are acting like it. Many of the managers and especially the senior managers are playing out the string and will do anything not to rock the boat.
    If you make a mistake you will be treated like a mass murderer. You will be forced to come in during blizzards and work past 730 every night.
    Stay out of the third floor bathroom in Everett. It is an abomination. These people have no respect for their bodies much less their coworkers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some of the millions you pocket in bonuses each year and buy a soul.

Not a place for motivated, hard-working individuals

Asset Servicing (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsA good place for people who are not driven and people who like to complete minimal amounts of work.

ConsNo incentive to perform anything more than your daily tasks, which are robotic. Pay is well below industry standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to properly motivate your employees. Trim the fat in the organization and reward the people who add value.

Unless you have your head up the Supervisors butts, and you are willing to back stab your co-workers, you will fit in.

Control Accounting Specialist (Former Employee)
    Westborough, MA

ProsNot one Pro....no values, personal growth is a joke...unless you are " Part of the click "

ConsThere is not enough room to describe all the cons....

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes, and stop favoring your " friends " and give the hard, caring workers a great place to work...rather than ruining families lives with unemplyment

Horrible, miserable, beware!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, but really not much else. Discounts on museums in NYC. Survival skills get honed due to being paid very little

ConsEverything else. No really, the pay is so low it's unbelievable. And jobs are often moved to Pittsburgh or India. No no security. High turnover rate, overworked staff, management favoritism. Workplace bullying.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart appreciating your staff.

Empty Promises

Pittsburgh, PA

ProsWork life balance was pretty good.

ConsLittle promotion ability despite promises made by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstall a career ladder.

Disappointing

Fund Accounting Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Brooklyn, NY

ProsGreat 401k benefits and out of college experience. Online courses are a definite benefit if employees were motivated to take them.

ConsThere is no career growth whatsoever. The pay is poor. Several years if 2% increases don't even cover the national inflationary rate and is completely unacceptable. There is no reward for working hard so everyone has become complacent and lazy. This company was founded in NYC and is one of the cities oldest companies and all the middle management/entry level jobs are being shipped to cheaper areas where they hire incompetent staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the entire board of directors and start over. Also when we absorb other companies you would think that we would retain our people instead of taking on the policies of Mellon/GIS which have both damaged the reputation of this company that was once great.

Worked for BNY Mellon? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BNY Mellon reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BNY Mellon CEO Gerald Hassell. All 1,129 reviews posted anonymously by BNY Mellon employees.