BNY Mellon

2.8
1,426 Reviews

BNY Mellon Chairman, President and CEO Gerald Hassell
Gerald Hassell

Pros
  • Good work-life balance in my department, but not in all areas of the company (in 136 reviews)

• Many good benefits, however, management was not proactive in developing talent (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for growth, salaries at lower end in the industry and merit increases are close to zero (in 32 reviews)

• Plenty of talk but no regard for work life balance (in the technology sector) (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

40 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Could never assimilate myself completely in the office and did not enjoy the people I worked with nor the tasks at hand.

Former Employee - Accounting and Reporting Specialist I in Everett, MA
    Former Employee - Accounting and Reporting Specialist I in Everett, MA

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Not much. Good health benefits but that is expected of a company this size. Free parking although it sucks in the freezing cold and bitter rain because it's above ground.

Cons

No free snacks, supplies are locked up in an unsafe wobbly cabinet, co-workers are depressed and unmotivated, very cheesy culture, smells old (the building has been there since the Cleveland cabinet), poor salary, unstructured, think I'm running out of space here. I can't really say that it's a bad place for everyone. A lot of people will be satisfied working here but they also like the punch in punch out career where incentives or actually learning is completely absent.

Management is abusive and condescending. No loyalty to their long serving employees (not that I was one of them), surprised mutinies haven't formed as a result.

Accounting & Reporting SPECIALIST

Current Employee - Accounting and Reporting Specialist II in Everett, MA
    Current Employee - Accounting and Reporting Specialist II in Everett, MA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are nice (this gets 5 stars). 401k. You can buy vacations days (5) on top of the good amount of vacation and holiday days you get (+\- 15 + 5).

Cons

Public company - BNY aggressively respond to shareholders. They want to make more money therefore lay offs and cut costs ie promotions, merits etc are horrible. Health insurance is bad.

Advice to applicants: do not be desperate in your job search and apply for this job, opportunities are limited for fund accountants in the industry unless you are well connected and if not, be patient. It is a dead end job. Do your research. You don't want to be stuck its a repetitive job and you only learn anything your first year otherwise it's all the same.

Too much work and too stressful

Current Employee - Analyst in Everett, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Everett, MA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Free parking. Flexible work arrangement. Casual dress code.

Cons

No work-life balancing at all. Average pay is below job market. No personal career growing opportunity.

They won't listen anyway!

Bank Of New York Mellon CARS Supervisor

Current Employee - Client Accounting and Reporting Supervisor in Everett, MA
    Current Employee - Client Accounting and Reporting Supervisor in Everett, MA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The corporate culture is good at BNYMellon. Also, the extensive training is unique and detailed. Upper management is very smart and well versed. Also, the outside work corporate events were usually a good time.

Cons

It is very hard to move up the ladder at Mellon. Once you get to a certain level, you can idle there for years. Also, the lack of recognition gets frustrating. They reward the people who work on easy clients and take for granted the employees that are really blowing away the client. Also, the training comes pretty late in the process. Finally, the quality of entry level staff is usually very poor as their starting salaries are not competitive.

Management needs to work on a work/life balance plan. Also, need to come up with a better promotional system, and pay more in order to bring in better quality employees.

IT - Mainframe Computer Production Support and Development

Former Employee - Production Support in Everett, MA
    Former Employee - Production Support in Everett, MA

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice People to work with, most of the benefits are very good. This company is trying to get as much of itself as possible over to India.

Cons

Constant Outsourcing, Health Insurance Benefit has become poor, all other benefits are are actually quite good. I find it uncomfortible to work in a place that is constantly laying people off.

Benefits and compensation are fine. Extremely unstable environment to work in. Just seems like everyone is waiting to get laid off.

It's all about timing with this company, being a team player, showing enthusiasm, and some luck

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Everett, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Everett, MA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, free parking, casual work environment, friendly people, easy access to highways.

Cons

Growth is tough, salary increases are meager. Stock price is slowly going up after being embarrassingly low for years.

Company direction is rarely discussed. I seldom hear the direction many departments are going in and see more empty cubicles each month.

Starter with no other options

Current Employee - Specialist in Everett, MA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Everett, MA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hires out of college
    Decent wage for a first job
    Close to the T and lots of parking

Cons

Limited upward movement
    Same work everyday, no brain required

A great place to work

Former Employee - Distributed Applications Developer IV in Everett, MA
    Former Employee - Distributed Applications Developer IV in Everett, MA

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay,good benefits, good training offered and an excellent place to work. Work well and you are set to grow within the company.

Cons

Did not have any issues

Upper level management keeps us informed and meet with us regularly and open to ideas.

Bob Cratchit had better advancement opportunities, salary and benefits even before the Christmas Ghosts visited Scrooge.

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Everett, MA
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Everett, MA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It barely pays the bills. Good life/work balance. This company used to be more employee oriented when I started, not anymore.

Cons

The health benefits offered are terrible. There are no advancement opportunities. The company has expressed measures for removing jobs by attrition. There is no job security. There is no recognition for performance by upper management. The work is repetitive and few skills are required. Everything is being outsourced.

Take better care of your employees. The company emphasizes on keeping the clients happy, however, it is necessary for employees to be happy too.

A-typical large, bloated company

Current Employee - Current Employee in Everett, MA
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Everett, MA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has some perks. The benefits are pretty good (though the company basically cut health benefits in half, surreptitiously, this year and simply laid the blame on Obamacare, which is doubtful), vacation time is actually very good (a perk that's hard to let go of for those with 5+ years under the belt), and work-life balance isn't discouraged (though efforts to outwardly advocate for it are typically followed with a, "...but,..." as in, "You can leave 3 hours early to pick up your kid from school, but you should probably stay late tomorrow." Getting the bank holidays off doesn't hurt.

Cons

Salaries at BNYM are a complete joke, as raises and merit pay have been relatively non-existent since 2007. The company does well each quarter, but typically misses Wall St. expectations, which has left the stock price stagnant. We are handed down the 'bad news' and we must do everything in our power to right the ship (basically trying to convince employees that the low wage and layoffs are for the greater good...they're not). Along with that, a lot of the 'perks' listed above are in response to the complete lack of employee happiness. The company knows that employees are not happy, but instead of reinvesting in employees they...let us wear jeans all week. Seriously. They are placating employees, but the fleeing of talent has already started and will only get worse.
    Middle management is completely bloated with lifers that just kind of 'get by' and do little (until their boss cares about something, then it's priority #1). Heavy office politics play out constantly (managers playing favorites, promotions and opportunities given to said favorites). Supervisors and managers do anything but manage and supervise (more often than not cleaning up a mess that resulted from their lack of oversight). Training for job-specific activity is non-existent after initial on-boarding, which leads to a lot of people blindly navigating job functions (if they're being navigated at all). Along with that, managers and supervisors do not take any type of active interest in people forwarding their knowledge or career, basically because they have no incentive to do so. Do something well, and you'll be lucky to get a "Good work," from your manager. Mess something up, and you'll be in a closed-door meeting soon enough to 'talk' about the error. All of that leads to lack of opportunity. Very rarely is anyone ever promoted up the chain, just doesn't happen due to the aforementioned lifers. Most people just waste away for as long as they can get by.

Enough is enough. Start focusing on the boots on the ground, the people that are the future of the company. Raises need to come back in full, and should cover some of the shafting from the last few years. Make it a priority for managers and supervisors to work DIRECTLY with their employees on training and career paths, and don't turn it into a, "Let's find out what you're doing wrong," discipline session (counterproductive).