BNY Mellon

www.bnymellon.com

BNY Mellon Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

BNY Mellon Chairman, President and CEO Gerald Hassell

Gerald Hassell

Pros
  • I also get to work from home when needed, making the work life balance easier to handle(in 116 reviews)

• Many good benefits, however, management was not proactive in developing talent(in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no room for GROWTH and the PAY SUCKS OVERALL(in 25 reviews)

• All the hard works we done are not appreciated by the senior management of the company(in 49 reviews)

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It was a good place to start a career

Vice President (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood variety of jobs - I had 10 different jobs in 10 years

ConsBit old fashioned, at least it was back then

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to change

Coworkers are great, Management not great.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsKnown name in the financial world.

ConsLA location is way too dependent on a single client. Management tries to compensate for loss of client by taking on new accounts without full understanding of resource needs. Extremely high turnover. Hiring freeze was implemented to save jobs was not needed. LA site lost 4-5 employees within 3 months of hiring freeze putting extreme strain on rest of employees. Manager to worker ratio is too high. Too many people giving orders without enough people to follow.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to plan for the future.

Uneasy environment in LA under new management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood training, top notch investement resources, excellent safety ratings from credit agencies.

ConsChallenges with the business model, high turnover, new management: unseasoned micromanager, lack of trust and confidence internally.

Advice to Senior ManagementLA office needs a new direction, many are unhappy with how they are being treated which is demostrated by the mass exodus over the last year and a half. Hopefully the once positive reputation with employees can be restored.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

EMPLOYEE AT THE DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES LOCATION

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsOnly required to put in 7.5 hours of work/day. Great flexibility and benefits and nothing else.

ConsWhere to start: horrible management (lack people skills), growth opportunity (tend to hire from outside or make positions from seniors who left into non senior positions), lack of professionalism, pay is a joke - 1.5% if you are lucky (isn't inflation 3% a year?), the list goes on and on. If you think about it, BNY Mellon is the backoffice for asset managers. Having said that, there's no opportunity to grow since the Downtown Los Angeles location has one large client that is quickly taking its business in house or moving jobs back to Pittsburgh. People who have any sense of ambition are dropping like flies. AVOID AT ALL COST.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. This place will become obsolete as this site will eventually close down.

From Ok to Bad to Worse

Associate (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsIf you're a less than ideal employee: No repurcussions or accountability for you.
    If you're in India: Our jobs are coming your way!
    We have several new colors added to our marketing material.

ConsNo direct HR contact for our location; HR helpline cannot give precise or direct answers to any benefits questions (such as health coverage, the use of HSA and the use of FSA). Red tape abounds to get any process completed. No incentive to take initiative or cross-sell because there is no direct compensation for either. No back-filling of jobs as departments lose employees through attrition and lay-offs. Everyone is doing two to three times the work with no compensation to match or gratitude. Morale is at all time low regardless of location. Jobs are increasingly being outsourced to India. I suppose that's a "Pro" if you're in India. No way to have voices heard or acknowledged. Higher ups are not reachable. Managers are not empowered to make sound business decisions for their line of business. Every department is very siloed. Proactive communication is non existent. Forecast of company business is dim. Perks are slowly being taken away.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead and take to heart all of the comments submitted during the annual employee survey; we all know the results were not as positive as you imply.

Over worked and underpaid

Client Service Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe downtown Los Angeles Office has a great staff. The people there make coming to work and spending more time with them than your family fun. There are people there that really care, about you and your life and your family, and they show it.
    I must also say that if you have a family they are very encouraging to put your family first, at least most of management is. If you are a working mom they can be flexible with your prior engagements if you let them know in advance. Some managers of course are better than others, some although are working moms, just don't seem to understand.

ConsThe expectations and inconsistency of upper management is ridiculous. Some managers will discourage your advancement and others will promise the world, and never come close to giving it, no matter how much you have earned it. The work and the expectation grows exponentially with each year, but there isn't a reward for the work you put in. Manager will advise you NOT to get your Masters or even tell you to lower your expectations and work ethic so that YOU will not be stressed out. Merit is based on who you know, or who your alliances are with rather than the work that you do and the growth that you have shown.
    Management is unorganized and out of touch with those doing the daily tasks to keep the business profitable. Some managers lack the knowledge of the business in the first place.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo senior management, I say do some heavy cleaning of your lower level team leaders and managers. The turnover rate may not be so bad if they were respected.

Ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsBig company with perks. Good benefit.

ConsPoor management, high level of dissatisfaction among employees.

If you don't care about career advancement then you should work here

Senior Accountant (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros1. Good work and life balance
    2. Easy work
    3. Good working environment

Cons1. No organic growth
    2. No promotions
    3. Unfair compensation
    4. Does not offer diverse experience

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease get new clients and promote the people who actually worked

It's a job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosflexible schedule and supportive immediate management.

ConsLacks any opportunity for advancement. Work load tended not to be evenly distributed.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to appreciate talent

Decent Place

Trust Associate (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThis firm pays good wages to college graduates who matriculated at a top tier university (e.g., UC). You work 35 hours a week and the scheduling for work is pretty flexible. As long as you're in the office for the daily trades or bond servicing, it's game.

ConsSome business groups are have better relationship managers than others. It's important to be with a good Business Group Managers

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore I departed, management was already instituting policies to make the mundane work day go by better. Keep it up the policies.

Worked for BNY Mellon? Contribute to the Community!