BNY Mellon Reviews

• New York, NY
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

1. For individuals with MBA's this is a great company.

Former Employee - Trust Officer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Trust Officer in New York, NY

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A great place for new graduates.

Cons

Older employees may have a difficult time navigating new systems.

Advice to Management

Be more patient with your older employees who built this company.

Stable no future

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible, Good Benefits, Stability, Easy to maintain a job

Cons

Long hours, Years to progress, No increase whatsoever in pay

3. Good pay but Poor leadership

Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Abilty to balance home life

Cons

Senior mgt does not spread wealth

Advice to Management

shaee profits with employees

5. I was a Trust Associate in the Structured Finance Group - Asset Backed Securities

Former Employee - Trust Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Trust Associate in New York, NY

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great company, great services. The bank was organized, well-respected within the industry, and obviously did very well revenue wise. Roles and responsibilities were identified, communicated, and executed.

Cons

VERY big bank; You might get lost in the shuffle. Although it was key to utilize every team member in the group in order to prevent this.

Advice to Management

Quality face time is key

The Bank of New York acquired Mellon, not the other way around. However this is not how it seemed for some reason.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Bank of New York had a great culture and many of them were intelligent, trustworthy, and hardworking people

Cons

It appeared that Mellon had a mission to decimate the former Bank of New York employees when the former CEO, HR, and other very important areas of the company were put into Mellon hands. The treatment of women was much better at The Bank of New York. Mellon had a sexist and threatening environment for them. The whole thing was vicious and watching it kind of made your jaw drop open that things like that could happen these days.

Advice to Management

Clean up the ship. Protect the women and make sure the Mellon culture has the appropriate boundaries with female employees - Man to woman and well as Woman to woman - something I had not really witnessed seen before in the corporate world.

Still Here, Not Sure How Much Longer

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent work environment with some very smart people.

Cons

Low moral due to fear that positions will be eliminated or moved overseas.

Advice to Management

Stop with the outsourcing. How much more can you continue to send overseas? You have lost so much expertise that it is impacting the service we provide.

Not a Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits were pretty good, but they are deteriorating since the merger. Health care seems to be next on the hit parade of benefits that will be gutted. There is little pressure to achieve specific goals, but is that a good thing?

Cons

Salary increases are miniscule, if they are even granted at all. A 3% raise is considered a very good increase and is reserved for top performers. Bonuses are in the 2-3% range, at least in my division, for excellent performers. Meaningful education and training is non-existent. Management, particularly senior management, is nearly non-existent. They provide no influence on day-to-day activities. They are not accessible and invisible. They do not engage with line employees. Consequently, they have no idea what is happening and lack any understanding of how to influence the areas or conditions which they deem to be important. Rollout of initiatives coming from senior management reflects this lack of understanding. Since there is little one-on-one contact with management, there is no opportunity to describe or identify the missteps associated with these rollouts. Apparently, this is the way senior management likes it. They solicit no input from the staff, save perhaps their direct reports. When I left, there was no exit interview -- by HR, by a manager, by anybody! This is the only company that I ever worked at where they didn't even have passing interest why an employee of seven years with very good performance reviews might be leaving. My guess is that despite the constant drone of "how much we support our employees", they know and understand the truth and don't want to be bombarded with negative feedback.

Advice to Management

Certainly the board of directors and senior management needs to resign. I would say it's that bad. Middle management is poor, but also poorly trained for the tasks at hand. If two levels of management were removed, I believe that this would force senior managers and what's left of middle management to set goals, set timetables, determine how those goals will be met , evaluate interim status towards meeting the goals and determine the success or failure towards achieving the goal and then to take appropriate action. We see nothing like this at BNY Mellon. Make sure that adequate and well-trained staff exists to meet the objectives. Don't simply declare success as any year in which senior management gets a great bonus, often by simply demanding more work from line employees and non-management staff without developing any resources towards the demand for more effort, more work, more, more, more. Share financial success with line employees. Reward those who perform despite the draconian and depressing atmosphere.

9. The company - at the time - was very cheap.

Current Employee - Audit Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot about internal auditing.

Cons

Company cheap - actually sent out a paper memo to tell employees that they were no longer spending money on post-it notes; you had to contribute $5.00 a month to have drinkable water at their corporate headquarters at One Wall Street otherwise the only other water was from the bathroom sink; senior audit managers would chat all day and then dump their hours onto your audit and make you go over in hours.

Advice to Management

Stop being cheap!!!

10. Vice President

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent compensation, good work life balance, and nice people. Okay support in terms of getting the job done. Good focus on training.

Cons

Poor management, constant changes to upper and mid-level management which affected the overall direction of the division. Could use better systems infrastructure.

Advice to Management

Make a decision for the direction of the bank and stick to it.

11. Good

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I worked at BNY Mellon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Other companies respect BNY, and you will get good experience learning from co-workers and superiors.

Cons

There was too much bureaucracy to work through. Most of your day is spent struggling with the system than working with it.

Advice to Management

Revitalize the company with younger employees and cut out some of the bureaucracy.

Showing 311 of 1,790 reviews