BNY Mellon Reviews

Reset
2.8
BNY Mellon Chairman, President and CEO Gerald Hassell
Gerald Hassell

Pros
  • Generally there is a good work life balance (in 136 reviews)

• Good benefits (medical/dental/vision); 401(k), ESOP; Hours are good; Some employees have a team-like attitude & good attitude to do their job (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no room for GROWTH and the PAY SUCKS OVERALL (in 32 reviews)

• Plenty of talk but no regard for work life balance (in the technology sector) (in 23 reviews)

1,678 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Very satisfied with the company.

I have been working at BNY Mellon

Pros

Great work environment and plenty of departments to expand knowledge.

Cons

N/A, Nothing to report on.

Advice to Management

N/A

Reporting specialist

Former Employee - Financial Reporting
    Former Employee - Financial Reporting

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time

Pros

good benefits and work life balance

Cons

no a very fast paced enviroment

3. Laid back culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at BNY Mellon

Pros

Good people, very relaxed culture

Cons

pay and career movement, sometime late nights

5. Great Benefits, Poor Atmosphere

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time

Pros

Great benefits package, quick vacation time accrual, ability to telecommute

Cons

No upward movement, antiquated systems, poor communication, constant battling with office politics, refusal of grandfathered Mellon and Bank of New York employees to embrace or even accept change

Advice to Management

Get with the times. Reward good employees with promotions and proper raises. Stop with the gossip and belittling.

Vice President

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging work (occasionally). Decent hours.

Cons

The constant theat of layoffs are always present. Doesn't matter how good you are or how long you've been there. If they can dump you, they will.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending that you care about the employees. Put your money where you mouth is. Reward us for our hard work.

they care about profits, not people

Current Employee - Technical Account Senior in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Technical Account Senior in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Offices all over the world; very big company and a leader in the financial industry.

Cons

They are too obsessed with cost cutting. They fail to understand that if you invest enough in people, technology, and infrastructure, that investment will result in greater profitability. Instead, they prefer to lay people off, provide insufficient funding to get things done, and expect client officers to figure out how to spin this to the clients without revealing the truth that BNY is cheap. Raises are minimal every year. My raises have been about 1% / $1,000 a year since my company became part of BNY Mellon. Thankfully I got really good raises before we were acquired, so now I'm at an affordable income level.

Advice to Management

If BNY really is a world leader for investments, please act like it, and invest in the company the way it's truly needed.

8. Risk Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at BNY Mellon

Pros

Good benefits, including vacation and health insurance.

Cons

No career growth, it's very hard to move to a different position inside the company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

9. Large, complex and slow moving

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time

Pros

Plenty of perceived opportunity given the number and range of business lines and offices. Low turnover for the most part.

Cons

The organization is complex and very large. Simple things take a long time inevitably. Confusing leadership communication.

Advice to Management

Simplify and scale down the structure and size of the asset management and custody businesses. Communicate clearly and take firmer and more direct leadership of underlying investment boutiques.

10. HR Admin IV

Former Employee - Program/Project Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Program/Project Associate in New York, NY

I worked at BNY Mellon (More than 5 years)

Pros

My manager offered me a flexible schedule, and she was very supportive when my father died a few years ago... and again when I had a child 2 years later. That kind of flexiblility is incredibly valuable. They also offer decent health and personal welness benefits as well as a tuition reimbursement program. This was a tough role for me because I was in a small department where I was given opportunity to grow, but the growth was never fully supported by my manager. When I tried to get a job regrade, I wasn't supported at all, even though my role and responsibilities had completely changed. You really do fend for yourself at a company like that. They take the position of owning your development, which is good and right, but there comes a point where you need the help of your manager and that isn't always what happens.

Cons

Employees at every level are overworked and underpaid. They've had so many restructures and lay offs without filling or creating new positions so the work gets spread across people on the team that are left. It's hard to onboard there, very confusing place to navigate, and you mostly do so on your own unless you have a nice colleague that takes the time to help you... managers aren't very good at this. They're also big on building programs for development, but only at the senior level. Mid-level and lower level employees get the shaft on professional development. HR talks a talk it doesn't walk.

Advice to Management

Create positions and spread the work in a way that provides a work life balance for employees. Pay them what they're owed. Also, work to create development tracks for mid and entry level employees with a staff to support their progress. This will go a long way in retention. Yes, you have to lead from the top down, and leadership development is important, but equally important are those in the middle or entering the workforce. Look to Loreal, Avon, etc...

11. It's very political.

Former Employee - Corporate Trust Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Corporate Trust Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bank hours and holidays are awesome. 401k vesting time is great. On site doctor is awesome. Friendly staff with lots of experience.

Cons

Favoritism too often. Expensive to park or commute. Benefits are expensive. Low morale throughout the company. Difficulty in being promoted within departments.

Advice to Management

Show the hard workers appreciation with larger raises or monetary rewards. Stop with favoritism it brings moral down. More perks should be given to employees this company makes enough to share the benefits.

Showing 1,678 of 1,785 reviews