BNY Mellon Reviews

Reset
2.8
BNY Mellon Chairman, President and CEO Gerald Hassell
Gerald Hassell

Pros
  • Generally there is a good work life balance (in 136 reviews)

• Good benefits (medical/dental/vision); 401(k), ESOP; Hours are good; Some employees have a team-like attitude & good attitude to do their job (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no room for GROWTH and the PAY SUCKS OVERALL (in 32 reviews)

• Plenty of talk but no regard for work life balance (in the technology sector) (in 23 reviews)

1,674 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Very satisfied with the company.

I have been working at BNY Mellon

Pros

Great work environment and plenty of departments to expand knowledge.

Cons

N/A, Nothing to report on.

Advice to Management

N/A

Vice President

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging work (occasionally). Decent hours.

Cons

The constant theat of layoffs are always present. Doesn't matter how good you are or how long you've been there. If they can dump you, they will.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending that you care about the employees. Put your money where you mouth is. Reward us for our hard work.

they care about profits, not people

Current Employee - Technical Account Senior in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Technical Account Senior in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Offices all over the world; very big company and a leader in the financial industry.

Cons

They are too obsessed with cost cutting. They fail to understand that if you invest enough in people, technology, and infrastructure, that investment will result in greater profitability. Instead, they prefer to lay people off, provide insufficient funding to get things done, and expect client officers to figure out how to spin this to the clients without revealing the truth that BNY is cheap. Raises are minimal every year. My raises have been about 1% / $1,000 a year since my company became part of BNY Mellon. Thankfully I got really good raises before we were acquired, so now I'm at an affordable income level.

Advice to Management

If BNY really is a world leader for investments, please act like it, and invest in the company the way it's truly needed.

5. HR Admin IV

Former Employee - Program/Project Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Program/Project Associate in New York, NY

I worked at BNY Mellon (More than 5 years)

Pros

My manager offered me a flexible schedule, and she was very supportive when my father died a few years ago... and again when I had a child 2 years later. That kind of flexiblility is incredibly valuable. They also offer decent health and personal welness benefits as well as a tuition reimbursement program. This was a tough role for me because I was in a small department where I was given opportunity to grow, but the growth was never fully supported by my manager. When I tried to get a job regrade, I wasn't supported at all, even though my role and responsibilities had completely changed. You really do fend for yourself at a company like that. They take the position of owning your development, which is good and right, but there comes a point where you need the help of your manager and that isn't always what happens.

Cons

Employees at every level are overworked and underpaid. They've had so many restructures and lay offs without filling or creating new positions so the work gets spread across people on the team that are left. It's hard to onboard there, very confusing place to navigate, and you mostly do so on your own unless you have a nice colleague that takes the time to help you... managers aren't very good at this. They're also big on building programs for development, but only at the senior level. Mid-level and lower level employees get the shaft on professional development. HR talks a talk it doesn't walk.

Advice to Management

Create positions and spread the work in a way that provides a work life balance for employees. Pay them what they're owed. Also, work to create development tracks for mid and entry level employees with a staff to support their progress. This will go a long way in retention. Yes, you have to lead from the top down, and leadership development is important, but equally important are those in the middle or entering the workforce. Look to Loreal, Avon, etc...

6. Risk Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at BNY Mellon

Pros

Good benefits, including vacation and health insurance.

Cons

No career growth, it's very hard to move to a different position inside the company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

7. Large, complex and slow moving

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time

Pros

Plenty of perceived opportunity given the number and range of business lines and offices. Low turnover for the most part.

Cons

The organization is complex and very large. Simple things take a long time inevitably. Confusing leadership communication.

Advice to Management

Simplify and scale down the structure and size of the asset management and custody businesses. Communicate clearly and take firmer and more direct leadership of underlying investment boutiques.

8. software developer

I have been working at BNY Mellon (More than a year)

Pros

People and the environment. A lot of places to pick up new skills and they offer education reimbursement. There are also a number of ways to learn while on the job.

Cons

Not much in the way of advancement. You may have to change departments to advance.

Advice to Management

Hire younger people who are more involved

9. It's very political.

Former Employee - Corporate Trust Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Corporate Trust Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bank hours and holidays are awesome. 401k vesting time is great. On site doctor is awesome. Friendly staff with lots of experience.

Cons

Favoritism too often. Expensive to park or commute. Benefits are expensive. Low morale throughout the company. Difficulty in being promoted within departments.

Advice to Management

Show the hard workers appreciation with larger raises or monetary rewards. Stop with favoritism it brings moral down. More perks should be given to employees this company makes enough to share the benefits.

10. it's not the Bank of NY anymore

Former Employee - Vice President Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President Sales in New York, NY

I worked at BNY Mellon

Pros

BoNY management was approachable and supportive. They expanded their wealth management group which offered more opportunities.

Cons

After the merger with Mellon it became obvious that Mellon was running the show. They replaced external investment managers with proprietary Mellon only investment managers. From a client objectivity standpoint it killed finding the best solution to a closed internal only model.

Advice to Management

Providing clients with the best solution for them should be the priority. It's easy for another wealth management firm to highlight the lack of objectivity to motivate the client to move away from BNY Mellon

11. Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at BNY Mellon

Pros

Everyday you learned something new

Cons

Sometimes they gave you a task without helping

Showing 1,674 of 1,785 reviews