BNY Mellon Reviews

2.8
1,281 Reviews

BNY Mellon Chairman, President and CEO Gerald Hassell
Gerald Hassell

Pros
  • Good work-life balance in my department, but not in all areas of the company (in 131 reviews)

• Many good benefits, however, management was not proactive in developing talent (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for growth, salaries at lower end in the industry and merit increases are close to zero (in 29 reviews)

• All the hard works we done are not appreciated by the senior management of the company (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Glass ceiling and uncompetitive compensation!

Current Employee - Corporate Trust Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Corporate Trust Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great! Plenty of bank holidays!

Cons

Stressful, no room for growth, and the starting salary is horrible!

Raises? Promotions? Salary increase?

User Experience Design Intern

Former Employee - User Experience Design Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - User Experience Design Intern in New York, NY

I worked at BNY Mellon as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

easy to work on for this company

Cons

not fun to work on this company

no comments

6+ months at BNY Mellon

I worked at BNY Mellon as an intern

Pros

Big name/enterprise. Good pay, good training

Cons

Old technologies and too much of "going through the chain" .

Advance in technologies. Every product has a life-time after which its just old and slow.

Some good, some ok

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time

Pros

Lots of volunteering opportunities as BNY Mellon is involved in the communities

Cons

Lots of glass ceilings and hard to advance in jobs and pay as an insider.

Take care of the people taking care of the company. Outsiders come in with better salaries than if posting internally. Does not make sense as the insider knows the culture and in-house applications. Employees are also loyal until they see this company behavior over and over.

An awful HR team and boring culture.

I worked at BNY Mellon

Pros

Good opportunities to get out into the community and volunteer.

Cons

The UK HR team are awfully incompetent, will take weeks to respond to an email.
    An unfair culture that does not support hard work and effort. They actively reject good graduates and interns because they don't know anybody from the bank already.
    A culture of long and complicated acronyms to describe even the most simplest of things.

Replace half of HR will more capable people.
    Review your graduate and intern recruitment policy - put the power in the manager's hands and HR.
    Instigate a more effective corporate culture.

Great place to work, if money isn't important to you

I have been working at BNY Mellon

Pros

Nobody gives you a problem if you need to be out the door at 5:00. Depending on your manager, flexible hours can be arranged.

Cons

No chance of market based salary increases unless you threaten to leave (with an offer from another firm). Willing to let talented people do the work for no reward.

Identify people that are good and reward them for it. Call out those who aren't doing their job.

Decent

Current Employee - Corporate Actions Senior Specialist in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Corporate Actions Senior Specialist in Pune (India)

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No significant pros to descirbe all standard industry norms are followed.

Cons

No Employee engament activites.
    No talent management or talent based promotions only sinority based promotions.
    Growth is unexpectetable

Shoot the messenger style of management

Current Employee - Supervisor in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Almost impossible to get fired. Bank continues to cut affiliates headcount and sending jobs to low cost areas such as Chennai India, Piittsburgh, Florida.The US staff always needs to babysit the India staff and redo the work because they are incompetent. Nothing will change because the CIO is from Chennai.

Cons

While business continues to do well(so we are told constantly) management continue to cut headcount while signing more complex customers and the pressure on remaining staff is horrible. The promotion process is a joke. It takes 3 months a year and multiple committees to review all promotions. If you are lucky to get promoted do not expect more money. You should be happy they gave you more responsibility and your family never sees you.

If you care about employees, s you state often, give money with a promotion. Stop asking for multiple ad hoc reports of staff that are busy running the business. If you invest in centralized tools then use them.

Expect to be poor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Generally there is a good work life balance.

Cons

When I first started at The Bank of New York, I felt like I hit the jackpot and would retire here. Full training was provided and opportunities to grow and learn were plentiful. The work environment was great and co-workers were happy. My reviews had consistently exceeded expectations and my salary increases represented that Since the merger with Mellon in 2007, and especially since the recession, it's a different place. My workloads and responsibilities have doubled yet my increases have stayed between 1.5 - 1.99% in spite of still "exceeding expectations" and that's after not receiving any raise at all in 2009. I'm actually making less money than when I started 14 years ago because the cost of living has exceeded my "raises". I can no longer afford to stay employed at BNY Mellon and most of my coworkers are looking for other jobs because we are overstressed, underpaid and no longer happy.. It's a good place to work if your a manger or above, or in a position where you are bringing in new business or clients, but if your in a job that keeps the business operating, expect to be poor. There are even employees (many) who receive some form of government assistance (in spite of being there a decade) because the salaries are so low. If your a college intern or recent graduate looking for a first job to gain experience it can be a good place to work, but don't expect to stay there long if you want a future.

Provide employees a decent living wage. Employees working at a big Wall Street Bank shouldn't have to receive government assistance or take on part time jobs just to survive.

Good

Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benefits, compensation, training, work culture, people

Cons

work life balance, work life balance

appreciate and ensure career path for hardworking employees