BNY Mellon Reviews

2.8
1,281 Reviews

BNY Mellon Chairman, President and CEO Gerald Hassell
Gerald Hassell

Pros
  • Good work-life balance in my department, but not in all areas of the company (in 131 reviews)

• Many good benefits, however, management was not proactive in developing talent (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for growth, salaries at lower end in the industry and merit increases are close to zero (in 29 reviews)

• All the hard works we done are not appreciated by the senior management of the company (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Could never assimilate myself completely in the office and did not enjoy the people I worked with nor the tasks at hand.

Former Employee - Accounting and Reporting Specialist I in Everett, MA
    Former Employee - Accounting and Reporting Specialist I in Everett, MA

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not much. Good health benefits but that is expected of a company this size. Free parking although it sucks in the freezing cold and bitter rain because it's above ground.

Cons

No free snacks, supplies are locked up in an unsafe wobbly cabinet, co-workers are depressed and unmotivated, very cheesy culture, smells old (the building has been there since the Cleveland cabinet), poor salary, unstructured, think I'm running out of space here. I can't really say that it's a bad place for everyone. A lot of people will be satisfied working here but they also like the punch in punch out career where incentives or actually learning is completely absent.

Management is abusive and condescending. No loyalty to their long serving employees (not that I was one of them), surprised mutinies haven't formed as a result.

Check Services

Current Employee - Check Service Clerk in Pitts, PA
    Current Employee - Check Service Clerk in Pitts, PA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Good healthcare and benefits. Very Diverse. Have 2 weeks paid vacation with 2 personal days.

Cons

Salary is very low especially for Pittsburgh. Can become very bored with little to no work. Over staffed. Training is very cut and dry only because work is not difficult.

Have less staff in each department. Therefore paying the employees more.

Summer Technology Program

Former Employee - Summer Technology Intern in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Summer Technology Intern in Nashville, TN

I worked at BNY Mellon (less than an year)

Pros

They really care about my development. High paying for a summer internship. Everybody that I worked with was extremely helpful and kind.

Cons

I didn't feel like I accomplished a significant amount. Also, some of the intern programming seemed a little irrelevant. I would have appreciated additional training and a more challenging project.

Re - hired in different dept. following layoff

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at BNY Mellon

Pros

Got grandfathered back to my old vacation allowance since I returned within one year. Free coffee, tea and hot chocolate.

Cons

Took a 40% pay cut. Slim pickings out there! Prohibited from working from home. Health insurance unbelievably expensive but that's true everywhere.

Find out who REALLY knows what each department is doing, down at the "worker bee" level and reward appropriately.

great place to start but poor management

I have been working at BNY Mellon

Pros

very strong and interactive internship program

Cons

Management on smaller projects is poor

Good Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good company to start your career. Lot's of opportunities to move around and cross train.

Cons

Career advancement is limited. Opportunities become more limited as you climb/.

Good place to start your career

Current Employee - Senior Fund Accountant in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Fund Accountant in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good co-workers, decent training, good benefits, ability to purchase up to 5 vacation days, decent work hours.

Cons

Slow promotions, low pay, low raises. Its hard to move around within the bank unless you know someone.

Give the employees more responsibility.

Shoot the messenger style of management

Current Employee - Supervisor in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Almost impossible to get fired. Bank continues to cut affiliates headcount and sending jobs to low cost areas such as Chennai India, Piittsburgh, Florida.The US staff always needs to babysit the India staff and redo the work because they are incompetent. Nothing will change because the CIO is from Chennai.

Cons

While business continues to do well(so we are told constantly) management continue to cut headcount while signing more complex customers and the pressure on remaining staff is horrible. The promotion process is a joke. It takes 3 months a year and multiple committees to review all promotions. If you are lucky to get promoted do not expect more money. You should be happy they gave you more responsibility and your family never sees you.

If you care about employees, s you state often, give money with a promotion. Stop asking for multiple ad hoc reports of staff that are busy running the business. If you invest in centralized tools then use them.

Security Processor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You have the opportunity to work in the biggest custodian bank in the world. If you are proactive enough you can learn how the entire process of asset servicing works.

Cons

Upper management leans more toward cutting costs then growing the firm. The department I was in cut mostly all full time jobs and was run by temps. This company is years behind, technology wise, then others in the same industry, and most of the full time employs left didn't know the difference between a stock and a bond. Not a bad job, good for first one out of college, get your experience and leave.

Invest more in technology and training employees on topics that matter. Keep morale up in the company and take better steps to retain talented employees.

Boring job.

I have been working at BNY Mellon

Pros

good work life balance for those with families

Cons

boring work, co-workers are an older demographic