BOK Financial

Be The First To
Add Photos

BOK Financial President, CEO, and Director Stanley A. (Stan) Lybarger

Stanley A. (Stan) Lybarger

Great Company, though lots of change

Branch Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat upper management on the consumer side, good pay and benefits. Lots of training. Recently upgraded systems are pretty good.

ConsCut staff to bare minimum, so it is hard to get out and make business calls.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

BOK Financial is a solid company which has vast differences in employee satisfaction in the various business lines.

Vice President/Manager (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsBOKF is active in the community, has a good reputation, average benefits for a company its size. BOKF's conservative spending provides good shareholder returns and a somewhat better than average level of security for its employees.

ConsThe conservative nature of the company can also be a con. Employees continuously see record earnings published but don't always feel the reward of those earnings in their salaries, benefits or equipment expenditures. Upper management/leadership are either completely out of touch with reality in certain areas or are being misled. Abusive treatment of mid level managers is continuously permitted by HR and senior level management. Unrealistic expectations are agreed to and imposed upon too thinly covered processes. Burnout at mid management level in certain areas, at least is rampant.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither listen to the concerns when employees go to HR or ensure that HR is making those concerns known.

No longer your hometown bank that cares about its customers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsThe culture used to be good but it's changed in the last several years and not for the better

ConsLack of direction and training ,technology still behind other local companies

Advice to Senior ManagementNot the bank I originally hired into. Its turning into just another big bank that churns through employees and customers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall good, some areas lacking

Consumer Banker (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsIn a banker roll, I was given a lot of training. Looking to move up within a year of employment. But, I had to put in the work, raises and promotions don't come from "just getting by."
    Anyone can do it if they are willing to work and have the drive for sales

ConsAlthough I was given training, I had to seek it out myself, no one to guide me through it all. Which was tough since I had never been in banking
    Hours can be a bourdon.
    Usually too small of a staff because of high turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel jiped when a new manager comes in at the store level and never had been in banking, this does not, especially one who had never been in sales.

All talk no action...

Teller/Banker (Former Employee)

ProsIt's banking on a smaller scale. The people in other departments within the bank are nice.

ConsIt's becoming a lot like the big banks, as a banker/teller we have to sell and be aggressive like a car salesman. Constantly calling the same people over and over. They also expect you to act as a teller, and a banker at the same time. Errors always happen when you have to multi task and hurry, because as a teller when the lobby is busy you are expected to handle everything at once. This bank is also not set up correctly, there are 4 banker/tellers and ONE banker desk, so customers usually end up standing at your teller window while you help them with their accounts. This is just awful.
    The people that run this bank have a favorite word, and that word would be NO!
    They are not flexible with their employees, however management wants the employees to be willing to change at a moments notice.
    The management does not back up their banker/tellers, they sit at their desks on their computers all day. They ask the employees to prospect for new business but yet, they never go with the employees or even offer to help. They ask the employees to bring in new business and then very next sentence tell us not to put all of eggs in one basket and tell us whe cannot work on projects while the lobby is open for business, and when we want to do something, they tell us that it would be to expensive and to find a different way to do it.
    They also have the worst benefits I have ever seen. Couldn't afford their medical coverage. And they force you into their 401K with mandatory deductions.

Advice to Senior ManagementASK your employees for feedback and actually listen to them. Get off your duff and help with outside prospecting and do their job. After all, management is there to build the business. But with BAZ the management just keeps their chairs warm

Headed in a new direction

Prosfamily like working atmosphere here

Conscultural shift to be more like big banks

Too much work and not enough pay

Secondary Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsMy wages keep me from having to living under a bridge. Bok pays more than unemployment.

ConsNo pay raise for the past two years, department is understaffed, you are expected to work at a frantic pace to get your work done in an 8 hour day. Overtime is frowned upon and you are limited to 1 hour of overtime a day. You have to take shortcuts to get all the work done and not fall behind.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the profit with those of us in the trenches making the profit happen. Provide new supervisors with the training they need to be effective team leaders.

Good job if you don't mind low wages (mortgage operations)

Secondary Marketing (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsMedical and dental benefits are on par with other corporations I have worked for
    The work is easy.

ConsThere are very few opportunities for advancement. Most of the jobs in the mortgage division are non-exempt; hence the low wages. No flextime, no flex hours, only three weeks of vacation and 10 fixed holidays, no floating holidays, severe limitations on when you can take vacation; you are expected to work overtime with no advance warning that you will have to stay late, which makes it impossible to schedule activities after work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop wasting money remodeling the offices, those funds should have gone to much needed pay rises for the front line staff. Every month we are told about record profits but yet our wages have not kept up with inflation.

There is high turnover in audit dept and management is disinclined to recognize they are part of the problem.

Senior Auditor (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsThe company is very successful with record profits even through the economic downturn. Job security is good if you choose to stay. Starting salaries are fair, but pay increases are weak or lacking.

ConsStaff is inexperienced due to high turnover at all levels in the department including management. This turnover puts added stress on those who remain. Management seems overloaded, stressed, and unhappy at times. Managers need to work on communicating with each other. Due to inexperience, managers have no idea how long things take to complete; they do not understand what employees are actually working on; are not helpful when needed. The department lacks “expertise” very few seem to stick around for the long haul. Employees are expected to work overtime, holidays, and weekends during quarter end busy time with no floating holiday or flex time. You feel taken advantage of because management acts like its just part of the job, but it would be nice if they were more considerate of your time. Even though the company has been very successful with record earnings, pay increases are zero or don’t keep up with cost of living adjustments. Very disappointing when you are one of the people hanging in there, hoping for change, while so many seem to be moving on. Makes you wonder why you stick around? Employees don't seem to get their way unless they threaten to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on keeping current employees and reducing turnover. It seems like management I is constantly having to recruit and fill open positions that they don’t invest in current employees. Allow employees to flex time for extra hours worked, especially time taken away from family to work holidays and weekends. It’s the little things that make employees feel appreciated.

Good work/life balance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsOpportunities to move within company if you don't enjoy current position. Pay is competitive for job title. Decent benefits. People are good. First line managers are great.

ConsNot an enterprise view. Siloed work environment. Upper management could be better. They are invisible basically. Work desk area is poor. Slow moving projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink enterprise when it comes to software. Upper and mid managers need to walk the floor once in a while. Get out of your tower.

Worked for BOK Financial? Contribute to the Community!