BOK Financial Reviews

Updated August 8, 2014

3.1

BOK Financial President, CEO, and Director Stanley A. (Stan) Lybarger
Stanley A. (Stan) Lybarger

Great Company, though lots of change

Former Employee - Branch Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at BOK Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great upper management on the consumer side, good pay and benefits. Lots of training. Recently upgraded systems are pretty good.

Cons

Cut staff to bare minimum, so it is hard to get out and make business calls.

Keep up the good work!

My division was a mess but I likely would have enjoyed working in other areas

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Vice President in Kansas City, MO

I worked at BOK Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Philanthropic organization, competitive pay, products and services I was able to offer clients were competitive. Enjoyed working along-side other ambitious and hardworking salesmen. Newer/smaller markets (outside of OK) are able to locally brand. I enjoyed working in my market in particular, and how the market placed an emphasis on bringing the Sr. level and more green salesmen together in working towards goals. The bank overall has a great story and really seems to want to cater to the clients.

Cons

The story of locally branding has little merit when each market is reporting to management in Tulsa who are not intuitive about the markets they are overseeing. From Tulsa, employees are handed down unrealistic and unattainable sales goals along with a high-pressure sales environment. There is no formal training or on-boarding process. The lack of quality job support in combination with pressure to reach unreasonable goals makes for a cut-throat/kill or be killed work environment. Blatant inappropriate conduct of middle and senior management occurred without being addressed. Communication from management and HR to markets outside of OK is poor. The company is not concerned about investing in the employees for long-term success, but rather to acquire the clients of established bankers.

Sales goals should negotiated between the employee and their local market manager. The goals should take into account the employee's career level and the environment within their market. HR should place more of an emphasis on fully/properly disclosing and enforcing policies. The company should place more of an emphasis on equipping employees for success through efficient on-boarding, training, and ongoing job support.

BOK Financial is a solid company which has vast differences in employee satisfaction in the various business lines.

Current Employee - Vice President/Manager  in  Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Vice President/Manager in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at BOK Financial full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

BOKF is active in the community, has a good reputation, average benefits for a company its size. BOKF's conservative spending provides good shareholder returns and a somewhat better than average level of security for its employees.

Cons

The conservative nature of the company can also be a con. Employees continuously see record earnings published but don't always feel the reward of those earnings in their salaries, benefits or equipment expenditures. Upper management/leadership are either completely out of touch with reality in certain areas or are being misled. Abusive treatment of mid level managers is continuously permitted by HR and senior level management. Unrealistic expectations are agreed to and imposed upon too thinly covered processes. Burnout at mid management level in certain areas, at least is rampant.

Either listen to the concerns when employees go to HR or ensure that HR is making those concerns known.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No longer your hometown bank that cares about its customers.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I worked at BOK Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The culture used to be good but it's changed in the last several years and not for the better

Cons

Lack of direction and training ,technology still behind other local companies

Not the bank I originally hired into. Its turning into just another big bank that churns through employees and customers

Overall good, some areas lacking

Current Employee - Consumer Banker  in  Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Consumer Banker in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at BOK Financial full-time for less than a year

Pros

In a banker roll, I was given a lot of training. Looking to move up within a year of employment. But, I had to put in the work, raises and promotions don't come from "just getting by."
    Anyone can do it if they are willing to work and have the drive for sales

Cons

Although I was given training, I had to seek it out myself, no one to guide me through it all. Which was tough since I had never been in banking
    Hours can be a bourdon.
    Usually too small of a staff because of high turnover

I feel jiped when a new manager comes in at the store level and never had been in banking, this does not, especially one who had never been in sales.

All talk no action...

Former Employee - Teller/Banker
    Former Employee - Teller/Banker

I worked at BOK Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's banking on a smaller scale. The people in other departments within the bank are nice.

Cons

It's becoming a lot like the big banks, as a banker/teller we have to sell and be aggressive like a car salesman. Constantly calling the same people over and over. They also expect you to act as a teller, and a banker at the same time. Errors always happen when you have to multi task and hurry, because as a teller when the lobby is busy you are expected to handle everything at once. This bank is also not set up correctly, there are 4 banker/tellers and ONE banker desk, so customers usually end up standing at your teller window while you help them with their accounts. This is just awful.
    The people that run this bank have a favorite word, and that word would be NO!
    They are not flexible with their employees, however management wants the employees to be willing to change at a moments notice.
    The management does not back up their banker/tellers, they sit at their desks on their computers all day. They ask the employees to prospect for new business but yet, they never go with the employees or even offer to help. They ask the employees to bring in new business and then very next sentence tell us not to put all of eggs in one basket and tell us whe cannot work on projects while the lobby is open for business, and when we want to do something, they tell us that it would be to expensive and to find a different way to do it.
    They also have the worst benefits I have ever seen. Couldn't afford their medical coverage. And they force you into their 401K with mandatory deductions.

ASK your employees for feedback and actually listen to them. Get off your duff and help with outside prospecting and do their job. After all, management is there to build the business. But with BAZ the management just keeps their chairs warm

Headed in a new direction

I have been working at BOK Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

family like working atmosphere here

Cons

cultural shift to be more like big banks

Too much work and not enough pay

Current Employee - Secondary Marketing Analyst  in  Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Secondary Marketing Analyst in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at BOK Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My wages keep me from having to living under a bridge. Bok pays more than unemployment.

Cons

No pay raise for the past two years, department is understaffed, you are expected to work at a frantic pace to get your work done in an 8 hour day. Overtime is frowned upon and you are limited to 1 hour of overtime a day. You have to take shortcuts to get all the work done and not fall behind.

Share the profit with those of us in the trenches making the profit happen. Provide new supervisors with the training they need to be effective team leaders.

Good job if you don't mind low wages (mortgage operations)

Current Employee - Secondary Marketing  in  Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Secondary Marketing in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at BOK Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Medical and dental benefits are on par with other corporations I have worked for
    The work is easy.

Cons

There are very few opportunities for advancement. Most of the jobs in the mortgage division are non-exempt; hence the low wages. No flextime, no flex hours, only three weeks of vacation and 10 fixed holidays, no floating holidays, severe limitations on when you can take vacation; you are expected to work overtime with no advance warning that you will have to stay late, which makes it impossible to schedule activities after work.

Stop wasting money remodeling the offices, those funds should have gone to much needed pay rises for the front line staff. Every month we are told about record profits but yet our wages have not kept up with inflation.

Good work/life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at BOK Financial

Pros

Opportunities to move within company if you don't enjoy current position. Pay is competitive for job title. Decent benefits. People are good. First line managers are great.

Cons

Not an enterprise view. Siloed work environment. Upper management could be better. They are invisible basically. Work desk area is poor. Slow moving projects.

Think enterprise when it comes to software. Upper and mid managers need to walk the floor once in a while. Get out of your tower.

Worked for BOK Financial? Contribute to the Community!