BOK Financial Reviews

Reset
2.9
BOK Financial President, CEO, and Director Stanley A. (Stan) Lybarger
Stanley A. (Stan) Lybarger

1. I really enjoy working for BOK Financial. They have a fantastic culture, and really take care of their employees.

Pros

The people, culture, opportunities and work life balance

Cons

Career progression. Name Recognition.

2. Compliance Group

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at BOK Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Decent benefits. Vacation ranges between 2-4 weeks and all VPs and above start at 4 weeks.

Cons

- Unstable - Poor management, extreme micro mangers, senior level employees treated as entry level - Women do not tend to be considered for senior management positions or are chased out of them - Lack of direction and constant change without benefit - No matter what your former experience, it does not matter and is not valued - A lot of good people have left and even more are seeking to leave all across the bank - Women do receive less pay than men - People generally are stressed and unhappy, even in senior levels - Compensation is low compared to other mid tier banks

Advice to Management

Listen to people that have a different back ground and experience from you. Do not belittle women and allow them the same opportunities and pay. Listen to the concerns of the people including your VP and SVP level managers. People aren't happy and things need to change. You have tons of great people that are overly stressed, aren't challenged, and want to be happy again. Let your people do what they are best at without being micromanaged to death.

3. Underwriter

Former Employee - Underwriter in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Plano, TX

Pros

I really don't have any at the moment. I wish I did. I would be lying if I said anything positive.

Cons

Below par management , employee morale is at an all time low. Very sad to see that. Negative , hostile, volitle , enviorment that I wanted no part of.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees, they certainly take care of you. Don't slap your race horse !

5. POOR MANAGEMENT HORRIBLE EMPLOYEE MORALE

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I worked at BOK Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I began working at BOK in 2011. It was great in that the employees were great. Company benefits were pretty good and the Morale at the time was high. I expected to work there for at least 5 years as a minimum. Tons of work so job security was not an issue. Overall it WAS a good place to work

Cons

The management turnover was unbelievably high! There were more NEW managers than employees. Managers were fired or they quit. as upper management was NOT solid. So much so that one of the Senior VP's even resigned. My department fired 5 employees and did not replace them. Therefore the work piled up and became unbearable for our small staff in Loss Mitigation. New management after new management and still no remedy. Management did NOT share any of the profits with the employees of our department. There were NO incentives, but more and more work was expected of us. Short staffed and all. Management hinted about the possibility of incenting its employees but did nothing to share the wealth. Many employees became disgruntled and tired of the same mess in the department. Management fired all of the local managers and brought in ALL new employees from out of state; NONE of which ha ANY prior knowledge or experience in the department they were hired to manage. Opted out of the department several times as the stress was too high. No room to grow. Once stuck in a position like that they wanted you there. They did NOT promote from within. Still no remedy. Long hours to try to lessen the amount of work, but not enough staff to handle the load. Poor management, and NO TRAINING!

Advice to Management

Hire managers that have the ability to lead a team and department. Share incentives with the people who actually do the work. Train your employees on how to handle the changes that come on a weekly basis. HIRE MANAGERS THAT ACTUALLY KNOW THEIR JOB ASSIGNMENTS. MY MANAGER SAT AT HER DESK AND SURFED THE INTERNET! Horrible.

6. Great if you're Jewish

Former Employee - Anonymous in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Tulsa, OK

I worked at BOK Financial full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The owners are Jewish. If you are too, they'll make you a VP in no time.

Cons

The owners are Jewish. If you aren't, you'll work there for 10 years then get passed up for promotion for someone who recently graduated college who is.

Advice to Management

Don't discriminate based on religion.

My division was a mess but I likely would have enjoyed working in other areas

Former Employee - Vice President in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Vice President in Kansas City, MO

I worked at BOK Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Philanthropic organization, competitive pay, products and services I was able to offer clients were competitive. Enjoyed working along-side other ambitious and hardworking salesmen. Newer/smaller markets (outside of OK) are able to locally brand. I enjoyed working in my market in particular, and how the market placed an emphasis on bringing the Sr. level and more green salesmen together in working towards goals. The bank overall has a great story and really seems to want to cater to the clients.

Cons

The story of locally branding has little merit when each market is reporting to management in Tulsa who are not intuitive about the markets they are overseeing. From Tulsa, employees are handed down unrealistic and unattainable sales goals along with a high-pressure sales environment. There is no formal training or on-boarding process. The lack of quality job support in combination with pressure to reach unreasonable goals makes for a cut-throat/kill or be killed work environment. Blatant inappropriate conduct of middle and senior management occurred without being addressed. Communication from management and HR to markets outside of OK is poor. The company is not concerned about investing in the employees for long-term success, but rather to acquire the clients of established bankers.

Advice to Management

Sales goals should negotiated between the employee and their local market manager. The goals should take into account the employee's career level and the environment within their market. HR should place more of an emphasis on fully/properly disclosing and enforcing policies. The company should place more of an emphasis on equipping employees for success through efficient on-boarding, training, and ongoing job support.

8. BOK Financial is a solid company which has vast differences in employee satisfaction in the various business lines.

Current Employee - Vice President/Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Vice President/Manager in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at BOK Financial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

BOKF is active in the community, has a good reputation, average benefits for a company its size. BOKF's conservative spending provides good shareholder returns and a somewhat better than average level of security for its employees.

Cons

The conservative nature of the company can also be a con. Employees continuously see record earnings published but don't always feel the reward of those earnings in their salaries, benefits or equipment expenditures. Upper management/leadership are either completely out of touch with reality in certain areas or are being misled. Abusive treatment of mid level managers is continuously permitted by HR and senior level management. Unrealistic expectations are agreed to and imposed upon too thinly covered processes. Burnout at mid management level in certain areas, at least is rampant.

Advice to Management

Either listen to the concerns when employees go to HR or ensure that HR is making those concerns known.

No longer your hometown bank that cares about its customers.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I worked at BOK Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture used to be good but it's changed in the last several years and not for the better

Cons

Lack of direction and training ,technology still behind other local companies

Advice to Management

Not the bank I originally hired into. Its turning into just another big bank that churns through employees and customers

10. Great Company, though lots of change

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at BOK Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great upper management on the consumer side, good pay and benefits. Lots of training. Recently upgraded systems are pretty good.

Cons

Cut staff to bare minimum, so it is hard to get out and make business calls.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

11. Overall good, some areas lacking

Current Employee - Consumer Banker in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Consumer Banker in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at BOK Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In a banker roll, I was given a lot of training. Looking to move up within a year of employment. But, I had to put in the work, raises and promotions don't come from "just getting by." Anyone can do it if they are willing to work and have the drive for sales

Cons

Although I was given training, I had to seek it out myself, no one to guide me through it all. Which was tough since I had never been in banking Hours can be a bourdon. Usually too small of a staff because of high turnover

Advice to Management

I feel jiped when a new manager comes in at the store level and never had been in banking, this does not, especially one who had never been in sales.

RSS Feed </> Embed