BOLD Marketing Strategies
www.boldmarketingstrategies.com Indianapolis, IN 16 to 50 Employees

BOLD Marketing Strategies Reviews

BOLD Marketing Strategies – Indianapolis – “BOLD”

BOLD Marketing Strategies President Ashley Smith

Ashley Smith

Fantastic experience and culture. I would not trade my time at Bold for anything.

Account Management (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe support system surround the entry-level, reps and assistant managers is second to none. Ashley truly cares about her future business partners and devotes countless hours towards their success. The people are down to earth and the industry naturally attracts high-energy individuals. I was able to travel all around the country and learn more about sales management in 10 months than i thought possible. They teach a replicable system that teaches ANYONE to make sales as long as they are willing to maintain their attitude. Most time past entry-level focuses on developing the newer reps, not just sales. Fantastic hand-on management experience. Quality product and client assistance.

ConsMany complain about the hours but any career takes a lot of your time. Also management preaches time management and proactively helps reps shave out more personal time for themselves. The 100% commission aspect scared me initially but I was able to make more money with Bold than most other sales opportunities I have had.

Door-to-door sales... which they didn't tell me

Entry-Level (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsEveryone is nice and friendly. They are very dedicated to what they do and have really bought into the "get rich quick" scheme they've got going on.

ConsPut in 65 hours/week, get paid purely commission, work outside in heat, snow, rain, whatever, and MAYBE you'll get the chance to run your own office one day!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe upfront. This isn't "marketing"... it's sales.

Great atmosphere if you are a determined worker

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe people at Bold are amazing! They are so willing to work to help each other grow! Great family atmosphere.

The interviews are thorough and break all the details of the position and pay structure down for you! I was worried about commission but I generally made more than I made at my salary position- $800 a week isn't bad!

ConsFor what they were looking for, "young and motivated" people, I couldn't invest all the time needed to get where I wanted in my career.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope you are looking for a new office soon because the space you currently have is not substantial for a growing company.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A few BOLD misconceptions

Account Representative (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsMyth: Bold will hire anyone.
    Fact: Bold is extremely picky about the people they hire. They have a strict "business professional" policy because they are looking for the sharpest individuals to work for them. They conduct three interviews to ensure they have chosen a qualified individual.

Myth: The pay is bad.
    Fact: Our employees make a VERY generous pay. I've seen some of our top employees make over $1,000 in just one week. Like any job, you have to work for it.

Myth: This is door-to-door cold canvasing.
    Fact: BOLD does to a direct marketing approach to reach its employees, however, we don't go "door-to-door". In fact, our clients give us a specific list of people who have already shown an interest in our product. You may only go to one or two houses in a neighborhood because we don't waste our time and resources on people who aren't interested.

Myth: Bold is "a cult"
    Fact: Bold has an amazingly close group of employees. They attend team nights every week and hang out together in their free time. The friendship that they share is one-of-a-kind. Any claims that Bold is a "cult" is outrageous.

ConsIn order to be successful in any position, you have to work hard. This is not a job where you will sit at a desk and receive a hefty paycheck. It isn't for everyone, but if you are a team leader, have excellent communication and time management skills, and are dedicated to your job, you will have plenty of opportunity for growth and success. The individuals giving poor reviews are probably the ones who were not successful in this industry and expected it to be an easy paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress these concerns during the interview that way they don't have to go to the internet for false or skewed reviews.

Hate it, Love it; you gotta work for it

Sales and Marketing Representative (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsAwesome work community, people helping people business. When things are good, they are really good. If you stick with it and get promoted to management, which you will see happen for people who work about 1-2 years, the work and dedication will pay off. (considering monetary value)

ConsPurely Commission based pay and no benefits. There are more variables effecting success than you individually have control over. Requires majority of time. Considering time and resources required, its not for everyone. High employee turnover rate due to lack of commitment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPaint a clearer picture for incoming employees.

Great Sales experience to put on a resume, but very poor compensation.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsA pro of working at bold was the sales experience I received. Door to Door is the most challenging position in sales and by the end I learned very valuable tools. Now the Cons far outweigh the pros and in no way is this a hate article nor am i bashing BOLD. This is simply the truth. Everything written on this page is from my own direct experience. It is real and non malicious. I strongly feel that the employees of bold have been intentionally mislead by those running Cydcor and the owners of the ICL's.

ConsTo all those who have applied or been hired on, here is what you are getting yourself into:
    After your initial interview you will be called back for a "second round" interview. The manager will paint a picture that this second interview is a tremendous accomplishment, however, it is not. 90% of people get called back for a second interview. And then 90% of those called back will start. They will hire absolutely anyone.

What to expect on the second round interview:
    You better bring you walking shoes because this is a DOOR to DOOR sales job. This they will not tell you until you are in a car on your way to the neighborhood. Next you will walk around in the elements rain, hail, snow, or blistering sun for a couple hours listening to the so called interviewer try and convince you why they like this job so much. You will then go to lunch. On a brighter side your lunch will be paid for, but not by the company (as a company should) but by the individual you are out with and they will not be reimbursed for the meal. After this interview is over expect a phone call around 9:30 at night. This is when they will offer you the job.

What to know when you start:
    Every employee brought in starts in Entry Level. You get roughly $20 a day and since this is a straight commission job that $20 is not guaranteed. As an Entry Level rep you will be in training for about 6-8 weeks making $20-$50 per day. You will be told time and time again to stick with it because in one year you will be able to open your own office. It is my estimation that 1 out of 1000 people who start actually make it to running there own office. Every company opened however is under the Cydcor Corporation, so no one actually "owns" their own office. And of the owners that do get to open only 10% make $80,000-$100,000 a year. They rest are minimum wagers. And entry levels if word gets out that you are thinking about quitting the manager will send you out of town for a week so you can't quit. Don't even think about going on a family vacation because when you get back you will no longer have a job

Leadership:
    After one gets "promoted" they find themselves in a leadership roll where the main focus is to build your own team. Once you have a team of 10 directly underneath you is when you get to the next step (Can you say Pyramid Scheme). In reality it takes about 4-6 months before you get someone on your team. One must work roughly 70 hours per week for 6 months to get just 1 person on their team. I must stress that the required amount to move up is 10 people on one's team. Do the math. All the while during this stage a Leader is splitting there commissions 4 out of the 6 days they work. Monday-Saturday 70hrs a week. I averaged out how much I was making per hour at BOLD and honestly it came out to be $3.14 per hour(minimum wage is 7.25). If one can put up with this long enough (1.5-2 years) they will be promoted to Assistant Manager.

Assistant Manager:
    The assistant manager position is spoken of in the office as getting to the promised land. The manager stresses on a daily basis that when one gets here all they have to do is pick where they want their own office and move. In reality the assistant manager makes less than anyone in the office. They are supposed to be compensated for staying in the office to learn procedures but the manager sends them out the field around 5:30 so she doesn't have to pay them. I know this sounds extreme or bias but it is absolutely true. But if you are in the right place at the right time it is possible to become a manager.

Manager:
    Welcome to the world of running your own office. Well sort of, you still have to answer to a higher up at Cydcor or with in your organization who can revoke your ICL at anytime if they feel you aren't producing. But in this step you get to kick back and let your employees make your commission for you. There is no salary in any of these positions and in this manager position your pay is based on the number of employees you have and their ability to sell.

Cons:
    Straight Commission (mostly split with another employees)
    No vacation time (absolutely frowned upon)
    65-70 hours a week
    work on saturdays
    no ability for a personal life
    this job consumes those who enter
    no compensation for food, gas, or car maintenance
    possibility of working a full week with no pay
    no benefits, although health care was promised

Advice to Senior ManagementBe upfront and honest with those you hire. If you say you are going to have benefits then give benefits. Compensate for gas, food, and car maintenance. Act like a real business.

It has been a challenging, yet rewarding experience at Bold.

Indianapolis, IN

ProsSome of the best reasons work at Bold is the fact that everyone is so willing to work together to help reach goals. The company is completely merit based so it totally up to the individual how successful they will be. What you put in is what you get out.

ConsJust like any other business that is teaching someone to be a successful business owner and become their own boss, there are a lot of hours involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome advice to management would be to keep having fun and take sure of the people who are working there and keep giving the knowledge the need.

My experience at BOLD was fun, enriching, and fufilling.

Account Representative (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsI really liked my time spent in BOLD. It was very fast paced, I felt, since their goal is to advance you quickly. I really liked that aspect because I learned a lot in the time I was there, and was able to advance to the best of my ability. My coworkers were extremely encouraging and helpful if I had questions. The team environment was incredible, and the CEO's and HR Director were great. I really liked the fact that the advancement process was fast paced. BOLD gives you many options for advancement opportunities, which is great, because I wanted a job with room for career growth, and I loved that even though you start out as entry level, you can run your own office in as little as a year.

ConsYou do travel, so this position would not be for someone that is not interested in traveling. This job would also not be for someone that does not want to work in an upbeat environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs for the leaders, I really don't have advice. But I can say that the leaders made my experience at BOLD very worthwhile, and gave me the confidence to be more professional in the path of my career.

My experience at Bold Marketing, was very inspirational, exciting, and overall enjoyable.

Junior Acct Management Internship (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsWorking at Bold Marketing, I experienced a very professional, enthusiastic, friendly and inspirational work environment. The company is marketing for some of the largest companies in the world, and hire ONLY qualified (not just anybody) candidates, that will help the expansion of the company. The management there is very friendly, and they keep things fun while offering great advancement opportunities and rewards for job performance. The company is fastly growing and recruits only qualifying professionals, as I am honored to have been considered for the internship, and I look forward to future employment when I graduate.

Consif someone did not want to advance or or did not like to travel or work in an outgoing group environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Managment at Bold take the time to enhance the experience and do fun things as a team, but are also professional and helpful. It is a very fun group and I had a blast while I was there. The CEO is great and HR Manager as well as the rest of the ones that worked above me, were all really nice and helpful.

door-to-door sales, which they don't tell you

Sales and Marketing Representative (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsYoung and fun work place
    Competitive
    Nice people
    Gain experience doing the toughest sales there is, door-to-door

ConsCommission-based (they tell you there is paid training)
    Don't tell you everything you will be doing (try to sugar coat things)
    Not very professional
    Cult-like
    No personal life cause you work over 60 hours a week

Advice to Senior ManagementTell people exactly what they will be doing, instead of sugar coating things and bending the truth and you won't have such a high turnover rate.

Worked for BOLD Marketing Strategies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BOLD Marketing Strategies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BOLD Marketing Strategies CEO Ashley Smith. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by BOLD Marketing Strategies employees.