BOXX Technologies

Updated February 3, 2015
Updated February 3, 2015
3.8

Rick Krause

A great place to gain broad experience

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Austin, TX

I worked at BOXX Technologies as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

The lean staff guarantees that there are opportunities to learn and contribute in almost any facet of the business
    Seasoned staff with a lot of experience and industry knowledge
    Transparency in company goals and financials

Cons

Sales/Marketing management is dysfunctional and are holding the company back
    As a small company they should be more flexible with company policy. There is a lot of old/big company thinking with regards to benefits like vacation/sick leave, flexible work schedule, etc.

Align Sales and Marketing and embrace different ways of generating revenue
    Be more innovative in the way you allow employees to work
    BOXX makes cool products used by some pretty interesting people but the company identity and attitude doesn't always reflect that

BOXX Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at BOXX Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is really friendly and welcoming. It is quite most of the time around the office because everyone is so focused on what they are doing but when it comes to unwinding time, there is a ping pong table. The majority of the people in this company have been here for 6-10 years, which tells you a lot about their satisfaction with the company. CEO brings doughnuts for everyone every other Friday.

Cons

Their isn't much of an opportunity to move up in the company and there isn't much of a culture.

Have more team building fun activities where employees can bond more. The Fish committee should schedule more pot lucks, happy hours, etc.

BOXX Technologies Response

Oct 13, 2014Human Resources Mgr.

Thank you for your comments. We like hearing from new employees, because we feel your perspective is so important to our future. I see that you have been here less than a year, so you will see more ... More

I love the Can-Do culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at BOXX Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked in past for both large public companies as well as small start-ups, BOXX is the perfect blend of large company approach with a small nimble company execution. I love the Can-Do culture here.

The company values your contribution and encourages both personal and professional growth.

Cons

I can't think of any major cons, the benefits are quite good including 401k matching but the usual small company challenges like fewer options (smaller group) for Health Insurance etc.

Management has done a pretty good job in turning company around in the last 5 years, I would like them to continue to pursue aggressive growth agenda.

It's amazing working here. This company actually cares about it's employees, & it shows.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at BOXX Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's not all work & no play here. They expect us to work hard, but also know the benefits of getting out of the office, & doing something fun, creative, & team building. It's a fun atmosphere while @ work, every ones kind, & respectful of others. You gain a lot experience, & growth working here. Hands down one of the best companies I've worked for.

Cons

I know the only way to better one's self is constructive criticism. But i really don't have a con. Upper management's always telling the employees, what a great job we're all doing. That Boxx is a team, while you might work in a different department, we all work under one roof, one goal; to be better, & strive for perfection.

Keep doing what your doing. The more you care about your employees, the harder they'll work for you. Its easy getting up early & coming to work knowing that management has your back. That's way it's easy bend over backwards for this company, you don't even know your doing it, because they care so much.

Worst employer I've had

Former Employee - Lead Validation Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Validation Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at BOXX Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

1. Well below market rate of pay

2. Layoffs:
    The company's technology brings no unique value to the market, and as such, competition is high and revenue is not at high as it needs to be to offer secure employment. They've had multiple layoffs to trim down to a level that their sales can actually sustain.

2. Unprofessional and childish staff:
    Constant out of control horseplay, which includes a certain staff member constantly punching other staff members in the arm as they walk through the common areas.

3. Some bad management issues:
    I was initially hired by Validation management, who was unfortunately relieved of his duties as Validation manager by upper management prior to my start date, and was reassigned to manage a different team. Upper management had the Production management dual-manage the Validation team instead. After my hire, the ousted prior Validation management wasn't happy with his reassignment, and continued to try to manage and harass the Validation team with rogue direction and threats.

4. Some bad junior hires:
    Junior inexperienced staff with no prior work experience refused to take advice or direction from senior staff that had been in the line of work for several years.

Any offer of employment received from this company, regardless of the position, should be considered very carefully. It may be beneficial to accept employment here as a short term solution to make ends meet, then dilligantly look for a different opportunity elsewhere.

Unless the company does a complete 180, they are a huge law suit just waiting for a place to happen.

I came back for a second round of employment, so it must be good!

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at BOXX Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Unique products, company extremely well structured and yet agile enough to out-maneuver the big guys, great people. BOXX has excellent benefits (health care, 401K matching, etc) and salary booster program, plenty of observed holidays, and is truly invested in the happiness of the employees. This is my second employment stint at BOXX, and it's amazing to see how the company has grown and succeeded over the past 10 years. I'm more jazzed to be here now than I was the first time around, and that's saying something!

Cons

Any company that's been around for a while may have little things here and there that can be improved upon, or quirks that have developed, but BOXX is very committed to improving upon any shortcomings that may be brought to light, which they are always open to discussing. I don't consider there to be any "cons" worthy of note.

Stay nimble, stay creative, stay hungry, stay disciplined!

BOXX Technologies Response

Jun 16, 2014Human Resources Mgr.

Thank you for your positive comments. I too came back for a second round here and so did one of your co-workers in your department so I have to agree that we wouldn't be seeing people coming back if ... More

BOXX Technologies ROCKS!!!

I have been working at BOXX Technologies full-time

Pros

BOXX offered me the opportunity to specialize in an industry that is mostly supported by generalists.

Cons

There are only 5 business days in the work week.

Keep up the great work!

BOXX Technologies Response

Jun 5, 2014Human Resources Mgr.

Thank you for your feedback. I love the con!

I have been at BOXX over 4 years and I love it!

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at BOXX Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love working with my colleagues and my manager. They have a fair compensation plan for sales reps.

Cons

Need more flexibility with work hours.

BOXX Technologies Response

Jun 5, 2014Human Resources Mgr.

As part of our sales team, I'm happy to hear you are still lovin' it after 4 years. That's a true compliment to the company and I thank you for that. As a small company, we do like everyone to be ... More

Like working at an old-schLike working at an old-school messy computer store.

Current Employee - Worker in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Worker in Austin, TX

I have been working at BOXX Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Freedom in projects, decent pay, encouraged to take the reins on certain things.

Cons

Disorganized, strange club of few employees that have worked there for +10 years. Employees being constantly and rudely harassed, mostly by other employees who are hung over and and expect everyone to take their garbage. Old-School tech company. Creepy staff full of paranoid gossips and bullies.

Ship-Up. The place is a mess, the communication is not only bad, it is purposefully vague and sets up others for failure followed by nitpicking and harassment.

Great People and Products

I have been working at BOXX Technologies

Pros

Inovative Products. Loyal long term employees. Employees rewarded if quarterly corporate sales goals are met. Fun activities, i.e. potlucks, off site events, parties, etc.

Cons

Cross departmental initiatives need more leadership. It would help when trying to fix broken processes.

Although monthly company meetings are good - they could have more information and be more organized. Get the ping pong table you promised already!! We need it.

BOXX Technologies Response

May 12, 2014Human Resources Mgr.

Thank you for your positive review. To provide teams an opportunity to fix broken processes, we have opened up the option of setting up your own BOXX Lunches where we pay for the team's lunch ... More