BP

BP Reviews in Aberdeen, Scotland

Updated May 29, 2014

BP Group Chief Executive of BP Robert Dudley

Robert Dudley

Pros
  • The work environment is fairly relaxed in most cases and the work life balance is decent(in 109 reviews)

• Great environment and locations to work at Great pay and benefits as well as 401k(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Some position will require a lot of commitment, resulting work-life balance problem(in 19 reviews)

• The senior management is a bit of a joke, its like lions being led by donkeys(in 16 reviews)

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

BP Review

I&C Engineer (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsGood company to work for, good career recognition and development opportunities. Decent pay and training opps.

ConsNot the most attrcative payscales in the market. Need to better the way BP markets itself in the market.

Advice to Senior Managementd

Seriously poor functional management and leadership

Category Manager (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsGlobal player with focused strategy

ConsSeriously poor functional leadership. Attitude of most people is really poor - "I have done it this way for 20 years and I will continue to do it for the next 20 years"

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some decent senior leaders who care and are passionate

Inhumane place of work

annonymous (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsExperienced people who are willing to coach and share their knowledge!

ConsCompletely inhumane working place. Terrible office. V little parking once you get inside no privacy no place to sit and collect your thoughts. People stuffed in the building like chickens. If you are sick or pregnant no guidelines from company no place to take a break no one will help you! People dont talk to each other just work like robots. No communication

Advice to Senior ManagementIm regretting taking this job. You have absolutely no care for your employees all you care is how bp looks in the press!

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best experience you can get from the job

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsExcellent company for the career development

Constoo much work at the start

Advice to Senior Managementgive a chance for creativity

Fantastic Company, Great People and Benefits

Control and Automation Engineer (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsGreat culture, training and benefits

ConsSlow to retain staff after spending time recruiting and training them

Advice to Senior ManagementTry harder to retain staff after pushing them through a Degree

Old School Company with Autocratic Line Managers

Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsExcellent Job Security
    Excellent Wok life Balance

ConsTeam leaders are too Autocratic.
    Development opportunities are for people who are favourites of management rather than for the performing individual.
    Issues are buried within the team without letting escalation to Senior Management
    Very slow career progress in general
    Many of the benefits are outdated and not competitive with other operators

Advice to Senior ManagementBring young talent into middle management. Cut down number of contractors. Bring discipline within the organization.

Overall very positive experience

Petroleum Engineer (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsLots of new things to learn, i was hired as a mature hire and was given lot of responsability quickly, opportunity to get involved in lots of events, very friendly atmosphere

Constraining given leaves a lot to be desired, training needs to be improved drastically, also data organisation throughout the company is apalling! one can spend months looking for data and still not find it. no overtime or days back for working on holidays/weekends is so demotivating

Advice to Senior Managementplease make grading system clear and also progression through company

Its the place to be.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsGood work environment; working conditions are good; flexible working hours; challenging; personal development encouraged; very competitive and good work ethics are encouraged.

ConsIts not a place for lazy and laid back people without an ambition and drive for success. You've got to be one step ahead to fit into the work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo keep up with the good job of encouraging and supporting their staff in personal development and in providing a conducive work environment.

Good

Commercial Analyst (Former Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsThe work is interesting and in finance it enables you to see the entire operation from birth to completion and get knowledge of the technical aspect.

ConsCareer progression is slow, due to large numbers of people ahead of you in the line towards promotion who are equally deserving.

No proper system of work, everything is based on experience

Geoscientist (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsReasonable salary, free lunch, alternate fridays off

ConsI have joined bp recently and i am very dissapointed in the quality of work they require you to perform and the level of training. there are no procedures or systems that you can plan your work according to...you are just thrown in there and expedcted to cope and understand.. there are no benchmarks for any type of work...even though i clearly stated on my cv that i didnt have experience of certain types of work i was expected to participate in their planing and operation!!! this is dangerous!
    the training is quite hit and miss and again there is no benchmark to judge the learning....i am seriously disapointed in the training as even service companies have a million times better training.
    i have to date never been given a job description...everything is hidden in vagueness and when you join as an experienced hire you are required to make sense of it yourself. no formal introduction has been given as to how the subsurface disciplines integrate and interact with each other....you ask ten different people and they will all give you different answers.........bp are hiring like crazy right now but if you want to have a clear understanding of your job and want good training this is definately not the place to come to....and i understand from others that the salary is also not that great.

Advice to Senior Managementdevelop a system/procedures and standards...dont expect poeple to come in and pick up on their own....this can lead to disasters....

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!