BP

BP Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

BP Group Chief Executive of BP Robert Dudley

Robert Dudley

Pros
  • The work environment is fairly relaxed in most cases and the work life balance is decent(in 109 reviews)

• Great environment and locations to work at Great pay and benefits as well as 401k(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Some position will require a lot of commitment, resulting work-life balance problem(in 19 reviews)

• The senior management is a bit of a joke, its like lions being led by donkeys(in 16 reviews)

stress free environment if your not management

Prosgreat pay and decent raises

Conswhat you make of it

Good Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPretty great lace to work

ConsNone I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Great people, but the opportunities to manage and influence are limited being they operate in a functional world.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat working environment, networking, kind and knowledgeable people. Big projects and access to learn about the upstream business. Must seek out opportunities on your own.

ConsFunctional management environment, managers do not have ability to make tough decisions and authority is often unclear. Mid level managers are generally weak, technically competent but lack true leadership and guidance to motivate.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider looking to develop employees with true management and leadership potential. Focus less on high level of technical competency when looking to promote managers, build strong technical teams.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good pay, opportunities depend on where you work or what group you are in or who you know.

Team Lead PSCM (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsGood pay, advancement opportunities, and possibility of moving or working internationally.

ConsWork-life balance varies from place to place or team to team, office culture is ok. As with any big company they often don't promote the hard workers but tend to have a bit of the good old boy system even though many areas in the company actively support and promote diversity.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany people at BP manage up, worrying about how they look to their superiors rather than promoting their team and driving value for the company. It's a bit dog eat dog environment, but in all areas. BP moves people around too much and they lose the value of "depth of knowledge" and that also diminishes the value that people deliver.

Wonderful co-workers, bad management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe retirement benefits are good, and co-workers are supportive and friendly.

ConsUpper management wants employees to work hard, and then stay late and work harder. There is little reward for exceeding goals/deadlines.

Promotions are based on recommendations from managers and team leads; there are no clear guidelines, and favoritism is evident.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower the "red flag" for over-worked employees to consistent 45 hr work weeks, instead of consistent 50 hr work weeks.

Hire RAs to replace RAs, instead of hiring scientists to replace RAs- too many managers and too little entry-level employees leads to an uneven distribution of work, and slower research.

Give spot bonuses again.

Notice how many employees have left in the past two years, and realize there is a problem.

very friendly people and collaborative culture

Reservoir Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosflexible and comfortable place to work

Conseverything is slow and gray matters, need to be extremely patient for young people to be promoted

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to what employee say

Castrol is a Great Place to Work

Territory Manager (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

Pros* Comp & Benefits
    * Recognized World Wide Brand
    * Sound Management
    * Endless opportunities to grow if relocation is an option

ConsRetail Focused Business
    Sales Process can sometimes be pushed down from Europe

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work. It was a pleasure working with you teams.

implement and manage master schedule

Master Scheduler (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsTo grow with the company

Conssome party that's team player

Advice to Senior Managementcommunication is the faster tool for success

It was very good

Landman (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Prosvery nice people and I hope I can work there again

Consall is good and I would work there again

Advice to Senior Managementperfect management

Great people and good opportunities!

Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsTwo sites I have been too have great employees. Very friendly and relaxed environments. Company has greatly changed last 4 years. Safety is the prime topic of everything we do. Couldn't be happier working for this company.

ConsBig company so there is a lot of red tape and you have to work through it for even small things. Sites do have very different cultures, some people may prefer one over another.

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!