BP

BP Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

BP Group Chief Executive of BP Robert Dudley

Robert Dudley

Pros:
  • "The work environment is fairly relaxed in most cases and the work life balance is decent"
    in 105 reviews
  • "Great environment and locations to work at Great pay and benefits as well as 401k"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "Some position will require a lot of commitment, resulting work-life balance problem"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Issues are buried within the team without letting escalation to Senior Management"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

intern

Intern (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGood company culture. You always get the opportunities to network with other people in the industry.

ConsSome position will require a lot of commitment, resulting work-life balance problem.

Happy but very busy work tempo

Senior Associate Consultant (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGood salary, company reputation, smart colleagues

ConsWorkload is high, busy traveling

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great company that rewards you for good performance

ProsSurrounded by good people, supportive of work-life balance, competitive compensation and benefits package

ConsStill working towards being "OneTeam". There's opportunities to consolidate and leverage across the various business units, but everyone is too busy doing their own thing, without a desire to collaborate.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communications, all the way down to the front line, particularly for communications pertaining to the state of the business.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

SCM (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThey care about their employees.

Conshard to get around facility

BP is trying and failing to change it's culture

Director (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation and perks are above average at BP, although there is no transparency or indication of fairness in compensation policy.. No expense is spared on employee events and training. BP seems to aspire to do the right things, however it clings to dated leaders and methods which keep it from succeeding. BP looks good on a resume but there are many more Cons than Pros.

ConsBP is stuck in a management time-warp. It is a very hierarchical, very British, culture which gives insufficient respect to the rest of the world. Virtually all meetings drag on longer than necessary and BP gets caught in consensus paralysis. Everyone (regardless of stake) gets to voice their opinion on everything, so decisions are difficult to make and never stick. I suspect it is a good place for drilling engineers and scientists, but a terrible place for modern corporate talent trying to drag BP into the modern world. There are WAY too many contractors, who are kept for years. This prevents fluid talent growth among employees and costs projects and departments way too much. The IT area is horrifically behind the times and takes years to implement projects that should take weeks or a few months. Accountability is inconsistently applied and unfairly measured.

Advice to Senior ManagementValues and Behaviours effort has failed dramatically because top management talked the talk, but didn't walk the walk. The world does not revolve around London and poor BP managers and directors in London disengage and discourage remote leaders trying to drive initiatives elsewhere. Break the consensus paralysis by putting accountability in the right places. Not everyone needs to sign off on every decision. BP needs to retire or fire half it's London based leadership team and distribute that leadership out in the regions where it belongs. I've worked in two other global Fortune 100 companies and BP doesn't even come close in terms of leadership, process, decision quality and respect for employees. BP needs to totally rethink IT systems and processes..because IT&S is fundamentally broken. If you truly want to be a global company, start acting like one.

Company is average

Technical Support Agent (Former Employee)
    Warrenville, IL

ProsIts a wide variety of people to get advice from. You will always have a higher up there to assist you.

ConsGrowing is very hard, you will remain in the same position for years. BP is for people that want to not-grow of course

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Mixed Experiences

Chicago, IL

ProsFlexible work schedule, great benefits, tuition support, strong brand name.

ConsLack of overall direction at times, uncertainty about long term success of business.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Excellent Company, Good People, unfortunately little advancement opportunities.

Compliance (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe people at bp are outstanding, the benefits are good.

ConsLong hours, little opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a clear career path in the various business units in bp and value the experience and knowledge of your valued employees.

No Advancement, No Benefits, No Raises for 4yrs need new job.

Gas Station Attendant (Current Employee)
    Bronx, NY

ProsI like the fact that you are in control of business while your working there is no one over your shoulders but your responsible for everything.

ConsPeople not coming in on time always late when it's my time to be releaved. Again no insurance or benefits for 40 hrs worker I thought you were to get benefits for full time workers

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees some of them really care for jobs and we are treated like we don't exist.

Bureaucracy that is endless

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Pros- Work life balance
    - Pay for contractors
    - Able to fund projects without regard to benefit, kept me busy.
    - Training program is very good.

Cons- Process heavy even when it made no sense at all
    - Restructuring for the sake of change, I had 4 bosses in 2 years.
    - Contractors are told nothing about the company future plans.
    - Senior IT Management was not very effective. I never saw a manager challenge another manager from the business.
    - Project vetting process is long, weird, and unproductive

Advice to Senior ManagementMoney was never an object to funding a project. They seem to have a never ending supply of funds. This was the problem actually. A pure cost/benefit should be applied without regard to business pet projects. In a another company these pet project would have been shelved.

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BP reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BP CEO Robert Dudley. All 749 reviews posted anonymously by BP employees.