BP

BP Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

BP Group Chief Executive of BP Robert Dudley

Robert Dudley

Pros
  • The work environment is fairly relaxed in most cases and the work life balance is decent(in 109 reviews)

• Great environment and locations to work at Great pay and benefits as well as 401k(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Some position will require a lot of commitment, resulting work-life balance problem(in 19 reviews)

• The senior management is a bit of a joke, its like lions being led by donkeys(in 16 reviews)

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsPeople and compensation package are ideal. Always pleasant to work with.

ConsRelatively short notice regarding foreign travel assignments.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management needs to listen employee concerns and escalate issues which are potentially harmful to a group. Some fires require more assistance than your pay grade.

Great Company

ProsWork environment is great

ConsPersonal growth is great here

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Great People and Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly supportive team. Strong work-life balance.

ConsA large organization that can struggle with bureaucracy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Huge Company!

Technology Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat salary and benefits, Health Insurance, etc. Very flexible company.

ConsToo spread out. It's like a 100 different companies within one, which makes it difficult to get things done.

intern

Intern (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood company culture. You always get the opportunities to network with other people in the industry.

ConsSome position will require a lot of commitment, resulting work-life balance problem.

Amazing Opportunity

Reservoir Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsInterned twice at BP, went full time. Now working elsewhere. Got fired for something I deserved to be fired for.

If you get an offer at BP, take it. Period. The work environment is so amazing that it sounds too good to be true to your friends. Big projects, big money, big opportunities. Just incredible. I never met a single jerk at BP. People were willing to put down their work and help you so often. Great gym, great campus, just awesome.

ConsThe only con is that the HR department drags their legs on everything. They make promises they won't keep, but that's honestly pretty common at Fortune 500s. DO NOT LET THESE CLOWNS KEEP YOU AWAY FROM THIS AMAZING COMPANY!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Not satisfied.

Geophysicist (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat work-life balance. Technically not as expected.

ConsVery hard to get promotion for those with advance degrees. Very poor management.

Unorganized

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCompensation, training, benefits, resources, assistance

ConsLack of transparency, inability to change roles, all cubicles.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide feedback to team on staff changes, program health, etc.

All right as a part-time job, but I wouldn't make a career with them

Cashier (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsThe work is fairly easy to learn and most of the employees are easy to get along with and understanding.

ConsYou only make minimum wage as a cashier, and the customers can be difficult to deal with, especially during the busiest hours (usually from 2-4 pm for me).

BP is trying and failing to change it's culture

Director (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation and perks are above average at BP, although there is no transparency or indication of fairness in compensation policy.. No expense is spared on employee events and training. BP seems to aspire to do the right things, however it clings to dated leaders and methods which keep it from succeeding. BP looks good on a resume but there are many more Cons than Pros.

ConsBP is stuck in a management time-warp. It is a very hierarchical, very British, culture which gives insufficient respect to the rest of the world. Virtually all meetings drag on longer than necessary and BP gets caught in consensus paralysis. Everyone (regardless of stake) gets to voice their opinion on everything, so decisions are difficult to make and never stick. I suspect it is a good place for drilling engineers and scientists, but a terrible place for modern corporate talent trying to drag BP into the modern world. There are WAY too many contractors, who are kept for years. This prevents fluid talent growth among employees and costs projects and departments way too much. The IT area is horrifically behind the times and takes years to implement projects that should take weeks or a few months. Accountability is inconsistently applied and unfairly measured.

Advice to Senior ManagementValues and Behaviours effort has failed dramatically because top management talked the talk, but didn't walk the walk. The world does not revolve around London and poor BP managers and directors in London disengage and discourage remote leaders trying to drive initiatives elsewhere. Break the consensus paralysis by putting accountability in the right places. Not everyone needs to sign off on every decision. BP needs to retire or fire half it's London based leadership team and distribute that leadership out in the regions where it belongs. I've worked in two other global Fortune 100 companies and BP doesn't even come close in terms of leadership, process, decision quality and respect for employees. BP needs to totally rethink IT systems and processes..because IT&S is fundamentally broken. If you truly want to be a global company, start acting like one.

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!