BP

BP Reviews in Houston, TX

Updated Jul 26, 2014

BP Group Chief Executive of BP Robert Dudley

Robert Dudley

Pros
  • The work environment is fairly relaxed in most cases and the work life balance is decent (in 111 reviews)

• Great environment and locations to work at Great pay and benefits as well as 401k (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Some position will require a lot of commitment, resulting work-life balance problem (in 19 reviews)

• The senior management is a bit of a joke, its like lions being led by donkeys (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights
187 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great work lie balance!

Strategy Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsHuge optionality for cross disciplinary rotation

Consnot the most secure now as headcount cuts are looming

Advice to Senior Managementstreamline sooner

BP experience while working there

Senior Landman (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAll good, have nothing bad to say

Consnothing, I found nothing wrong with my expereince

Advice to Senior Managementno comment

Company culture makes for a great place to work but if this wasn't an energy company it would drive them out of business

Supply Chain Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsInclusive, everyone is a winner culture, good people, lots of opportunities for challenging work

Conshuge corporate structure - disconnects and duplication of work rampant

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more in tune with in coming employees. You are brining in strong talent and simply training them for the competition.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good but not great- Lacks Opportunities for Minorities

Wells Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsProvides opportunities to work on challenging project.

Superb training program for early to mid career employees.

9/80 work schedule.

ConsAverage or below average compensation when benchmarked against competitors especially for employees that have been with the company for over 5yrs.

Incompetent, inept and technically challenged first and second level managers.

The wells function (drilling, completions and interventions) is one of the most racially challenged. Lack of opportunities and career progression for minorities (Blacks and Hispanics/Latino) into management in the wells organization.

While there is so much talk about meritocracy, nepotism, cronyism are the order of the day. Promotions and career progression are based on color of skin, whether you have parent(s) that work(ed) for the company, whose behind you are kissing and how much you can BS. Little wonder Macondo happened!!!

Over-reliance on a performance management system that isn't transparent and lacks any oversight or checks and balances by upper management. Team leaders ensure very favorable ratings for their friends which assures that only those they want get promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure the right people are in first and second level leadership positions.

More opportunities in management for minorities outside of white women.

Minimize the frequent changes.

Little return on investment

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBP is a great company to add to your resume even given the events in the past. It has a great mixture of people who can offer many perspectives to any challenge. A really great place to network.

ConsEmployees and contractor/consultants are pretty much different factions on the Houston campus. In 5+ years of working in various business units I found that most of the contractor/consultants were far more capable than the full-time employees. While safety and process should always be considered first they are absolutely crippling when you try to execute a project. So much money is wasted on systems and processes, I've been involved in many projects to remedy data issues only to come back again and do it later.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline some processes, remove incapable managers (not just put them on a performance contract), allow people to perform work. BP will never advance among the majors because of it's internal issues and the lack of a single mandate across the US.

Good

Land Consultant (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsNo micro managing at bp

ConsI have no complaints about bp

I had a great experience.

Intern (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat place to work, The people are really helpful and the work environment is fantastic.

ConsIt takes a longer time to get things done. Not surprised since it is a large organization

Too political with regards to recognition and promotion

Drilling Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsWork-Life balance, spacious campus, diverse employees

ConsCompensation lower than industry average

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, promotion should be based on merit

Indirect Procurement

Specialist (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat to have on your resume (the fact that BP still attracts attention)
    Flex-work schedule
    Laid-back environment
    Some cool people to work with

ConsVery dysfunctional departments (Indirect Procurement is one of them)
    You have to eat, sleep, and breathe "company values" that do not ring true in all areas
    No structure or proper guidance from managers
    Very obvious "blamers" when something happens
    Use emails for weapons or to simply throw you under the bus, be careful what you say to certain people, they look for opps to discredit you

Not the company it once was

Team Leader (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBP is a large company, and tries to be one with good values. In the past BP was a company where a strong meritocracy culture prevailed. However, its strength was its weakness, which means a lack of strong business processes allowed for employee room to create as you figured things out. Some would argue this is why we had so many industrial accidents.

ConsFollowing Macondo, it has become more of "do the right thing for BP" instead of "do the right thing" -- its a subtle but important change. Combine this with weak business processes, and you can imagine the slippery slope when less scrupulous managers acquire power. This is important to understand if you are thinking of entering an employment relationship with BP.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many layers of management with each trying to game the system. There are pockets of cut-throat bad behavior -- often using "BP values" as a platform of attack while engaging in dishonest behavior and misrepresenting employee performance up the chain of command. If you are honest, BP is not a well run company because of this.

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!