BP Reviews

• Houston, TX Area
3.6
BP Group Chief Executive of BP Robert Dudley
Robert Dudley

1. As a whole the company is great.

Current Employee - Human Resources Advisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP

Pros

Senior leadership get "it". And they communicate their views easily, company wide

Cons

The message from senior leadership is lost on middle management

D&I, pay attention to comments and advice from your staff

2. Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at BP full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Family/Life work balance
    9/80 work schedule
    Gym
    Café
    Clinic

Cons

Management, Too many contractors, Café prices expensive

Good work environment, great location, competitive pay & benefits; Management needs huge reorg out the door!

Current Employee - Finance in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Finance in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP

Pros

work-life balance, competitive pay & benefits, great facilities, gym, etc. respectful work environment, nice co-workers, very professional atmosphere, great cultural events, good focus on D&I, support of BP MS 150 still continues.

*Good severance packages for those being laid off.. take what you can get and run!

Cons

Cost-cutting to the point of foolishness.. e.g. getting rid of the "good" coffee and leaving the bad.. for a whopping savings of $.25 cents a cup??!!

Many layoffs currently (2014 & 2015) in the guise of another "reorg" but it's really TONS of offshoring happening to KL, Budapest, BA, Bangalore, etc. Just transferring bad systems & processes to another country.. costs will rise there also and the savings will hence be only short-lived! Not that this matters any to current management.. they will earn their bonus and move on to their next executive role!

Reorg's to fix the botched reorg's of the past.. this will continue until the end of time for BP, as management considers that all intelligence lies in the UK so it HEAVILY promotes Brits to Sr. roles (VP's, Directors, etc.). They need to stay busy & build their resume for their next role so every few years it's "reorg's all-around for everyone at the bar"!

If you can tolerate that then the benefits can outweigh the pain.. meanwhile I hope you can find time to do you day job and actually enjoy contributing.. trying to make it a meaningful job/career.. otherwise it's just a paycheck.. good luck!

No point.. nobody is listening!

5. "Beautiful People"

Former Employee - Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at BP

Pros

In my experiernce, BP employs truly quality people. I spent a summer there as an intern and was impressed with most of their employees. I worked as in intern within their supply chain department, and they gave me exposure to management at all structures and sought to give me a true view of the company while I was there.

Cons

They are a bit more old-school. There are definitely some 'gotchas' in their culture indicative that they don't have a full theory of the relationship between employee and employer. There are also rather rigid evaluation and promotion practices that seemed detriment. And there are definitely people there counting down the days until retirement, even people in their 30s. They also don't do a very good job of empowering employees. They are afraid of developing single points of failure and will intentionally limit what you are working on. The place moves at a crawl at times.

Hire fewer people, empower them to do more.

6. Wants to be exxon and this could be the best thing that can keep this place floating.

Current Employee - Geoscientist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Geoscientist in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP

Pros

Good benefits and work life balance. Great people!

Cons

HR is going to force all to leave. Upper management is tribal. Huge amount of process and policy since the spill and think the best way is to follow the Exxon model. Motto is to layoff senior people and train juniors, a item that was listed as a reason for the spill...the best thing can happen to these guys is to get bought by exxon or another that can manage business.

Promote competent people not just those who know how to brown nose. Senior management needs to align its messages from the top to the worker bee.

7. Good benefits and compensation, but poor culture.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP

Pros

Competitive compensation and benefits. The bonus and pension package are great.

Cons

No room for advancement. The decision making is hampered by poor culture and the "good ole boy" leadership. There is a ton of non-necessary bureaucracy!

"Really" change the organizational culture to effectively improve decision making and process safety.

8. Hang on if you can

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Geologists and engineers are valued. Usually relaxed working conditions. Great gyms on campus and next to running trails.

Cons

The company is going through changes and there are waves of layoffs happening. Layoffs will continue with low commodity price through 2015 and 2016.

Lots of process to slog through. For everything. From transferring files to one another to parking in the garage, to book a meeting room.

Many times the upper management level buzzes about changes and "efficiency" however with every reorganization and restructuring, we get less and less confident with our leaders.

9. My experience is that BP is overall a good company to work for.

I have been working at BP

Pros

Good benefits (401k with company matching up to 6%), pension, insurance, educational assistance, training, etc. Some groups have 9/80 work schedule and others may allow for other flexible working schedules.

Cons

As is with large global corporations, there is so much bureaucracy to get things done. Due to inner politics, management sometimes dictate whether a project will "succeed" regardless of what that state of "success" may look like.

Need to consider flattening some corporate hierarchies so that management can look across groups to ensure decisions are made for the good of the company and not to build certain people or groups' singular objective/value - lots of inefficiencies in process (and ultimately cost).

10. Progressive Company

Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at BP

Pros

Good salary and benefits, and location.

Cons

Sterile and zombie-like community of workers. It's easy to blend in if you just walk around with an expressionless face and stare straight ahead. Maybe they are all Ai droids.

11. Big changes with people management and strategy recently...more to come.

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive wages, good benefits, lots of resources available for development.

Cons

Rigid culture, and large amount of micro-management at times. Culture is great for dutiful, cautious, and organized employees.