BP

Updated December 15, 2014
3.6

BP Group Chief Executive of BP Robert Dudley
Robert Dudley

Pros
  • The work environment is fairly relaxed in most cases and the work life balance is decent (in 131 reviews)

• Pay and benefits are top notch for the position that I am in (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Some position will require a lot of commitment, resulting work-life balance problem (in 23 reviews)

• Senior management parks in the underground garage while the working stiffs park outside (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

229 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good life-work balance. Challenging projects. The people who work there are highly capable and want to do the right thing.

Cons

In the effort to address issues and defects often additional processes are introduced that create unforeseen complexities. The result is that it can be difficult to progress work at times.

Focus on reducing complexity by challenging new projects / processes to ensure that they are truly value adding.

Good perks, chaotic structure

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at BP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of flexibility
    Great benefits
    Mostly good and smart people as a result of rigorous selection processes
    Plenty of development opportunities if you seek them out and take advantage of availability; getting ahead is very much a matter of networking and making things happen for yourself

Cons

Seemed like there was constant restructuring at department, function, and/or corporate level, so overall strategy was questionable.
    Personality assessments given as part of selection were rigged at times. (I know because the YSC psychologist admitted to me that she slanted one assessment to get me away from a specific manager and was willing to revise the same assessment to give me a better shot at another opportunity!)

Figure out the structure to support and align with the strategy, put it in place, and give it a chance to work over a period of time.

internship

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at BP as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

lots of different opportunities are available here, can move all around the world if you want. big company which has its pluses and minuses

Cons

big company which has its pluses and minuses. BP currently has a bad reputation which could hinder future job prospects for former employees.

Great learning experience and wonderful people, but very slow progress.

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at BP as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very good work life balance. Everyone is very knowledgeable and willing to share their knowledge and help you.

Cons

Takes a very long time to get anything done because of all the bureaucracy.

Need to streamline some processes to increase the efficiency of the organization and the productivity of each employee.

Very good employer.

Current Employee - Senior Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Technical and patient. Good training and good work culture. Job Security is good as well.

Cons

Bureaucratic and loads, I mean loads of paper work that doesn't bring any value.

Great Company

Former Employee - Category Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Category Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at BP as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The compensation is great and they draw out an excellent career path for you.

Cons

So large that you sometimes feel like just a number.

Make employees feel more cared for.

Great benefits, good people.

Current Employee - PSCM Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - PSCM Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

BP treats its employees really well. Hours tend to be flexible, benefits are top class, work culture tends to be driven but relaxed.

Cons

College graduates may find an eventual glass ceiling if looking for the management track. Many college recruits tend to leave BP after 7 to 10 years because they find BP tends to have an age bias when promoting staff to the next level of management. Like most major oil companies, the work force tends to be dominated by Contractors. There can be an us against them mentality depending on where you work in the company.

Management needs to clear with staff what their development opportunities are, and help people to find challenging roles. Also, management needs to find ways to better support grass roots efforts. Often times strategy is well networked at senior levels, but when implemented on the ground it flounders because management has not engaged staff at the right levels. Generating change from the bottom up may lead to more value creation and success.

Good honest company that can get bogged down in process

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benifits
    bike to work
    9/80 schedule
    work life balance

Cons

bureacracy
    too many people
    slow to act

make decisions quicker. focus on value. the company focuses on safety. this is great, but bp isnt creatjng revenue just by being safe. revenue is created through oil and gas production

Senior Database Administrator

Former Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at BP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture was one that pushed for excellence and innovation. BP management listened to us Senior staff members and let us do whatever we needed and however we wanted if we could show it would reduce risk and/or lower operational cost. They insisted we maintain a good work life balance so if we had to pull long weekends or evenings as DBAs often do they insisted on giving us comp time on other days. I never once worked more than 80 hours during a 2 week period in my 30 months there. They let us bring on staff in India who could do most work during off hours for us which helped the work life balance even more. Pay was very good.

Cons

The only real con was suffering from fallout of the Gulf Oil Spill. The reason I'm not there now is budget cuts due to having to pay for that. This was tied as the best place I've ever worked and I'd gladly go back to that team again if the compensation package was similar to last time.

Keep it up. Continue to drive safety and excellence so that another disaster like the gulf spill don't happen again.

GoodJob

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good easy job, great pay

Cons

long hours, easy done , training