BP

Updated December 21, 2014
3.6

BP Group Chief Executive of BP Robert Dudley
Robert Dudley

Pros
  • The work environment is fairly relaxed in most cases and the work life balance is decent (in 131 reviews)

• Pay and benefits are top notch for the position that I am in (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Some position will require a lot of commitment, resulting work-life balance problem (in 23 reviews)

• Senior management parks in the underground garage while the working stiffs park outside (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Analyst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BP

Pros

great company, opportunties for growth & progression

Cons

industry is currently impacted by lower crude oil prices

Systems Manager

I have been working at BP

Pros

Great work life balance. Great company to work for

Cons

Not as fast paced as tech companies on changes. Very risk averse

Fight the Maconda cases tooth and nail.

Production Engineer

I have been working at BP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good atmosphere for learning and developing skills. Fellow employees are great - knowledgeable, friendly, talented and create a very positive working atmosphere.

Cons

They are hurting financially from the lawsuits. Currents layoffs are underway.

Too many levels of management, getting approval for implementing technology is difficult

The most enjoyable job of my career.

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at BP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work culture is collegial, team oriented, and empowering.

Cons

BP vision on alternative energy has proven to be short sighted.

Good perks, chaotic structure

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at BP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of flexibility
    Great benefits
    Mostly good and smart people as a result of rigorous selection processes
    Plenty of development opportunities if you seek them out and take advantage of availability; getting ahead is very much a matter of networking and making things happen for yourself

Cons

Seemed like there was constant restructuring at department, function, and/or corporate level, so overall strategy was questionable.
    Personality assessments given as part of selection were rigged at times. (I know because the YSC psychologist admitted to me that she slanted one assessment to get me away from a specific manager and was willing to revise the same assessment to give me a better shot at another opportunity!)

Figure out the structure to support and align with the strategy, put it in place, and give it a chance to work over a period of time.

GBS

I worked at BP

Pros

Work for home opportunities are available

Cons

Opportunities are not available to all and management is not required to have knowledge of the day to day functions of the people they manage.

Understand what the employees do and give them the space to own and be accountable for their responsibilities.

Operating in a Cyclical Manner... in a Cyclical Market Leads to Frustration and Stifles Career Growth

Current Employee - Environmental Engineer
    Current Employee - Environmental Engineer

I have been working at BP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

For Process Engineering, there is a much more tried and true path. Doors open for Process Engineers in a way that they don't necessarily for other disciplines.
    There is also opportunity for mobility within disciplines. While the world of upstream (exploration and production) and downstream (refining and marketing) are fairly segregated, there is a lot of opportunity within those, but it's definitely a function of how broad your network is (and whether or not you have others endorsing you).

Cons

The company operates in a very reactive manner (and considering there are shattering incidents that seem to occur every so often, that's not a good thing). Currently, oil price is down, and there are job cuts all around (the jobs that were added - but were they necessary? - back when the going was good and crude was high). When the going gets good again, the projects will commence and there will be an influx. While this is normal in any cyclical industry, there are ways to manage this in teams/roles that are justified ALL the time - and don't just come and go, based on financial performance.
    This company loves reorganizing and restructuring. The message can be all about alternative energy and environmental compliance one day, and then shift to process safety solely the other - there isn't a balance across all to systematically oversee the entire portfolio through ANY type of market.
    Similarly, when I first joined (6.5 years ago), the company was open to moving cross-functionally, as long as you were eager to learn and could prove yourself. Now, there is a significant shift toward specialization, and keeping people in their current track.
    Also, my experience has taught me that proving yourself as a high performer, when early in your career, can sometimes be a double-edged sword. Management won't want to get rid of you, and just keep you in your role.

Create systems and work practices to support roles, so that we're not so reliant on the people in them. Management should foster career growth, not stifle it for the sake of getting the current job done.

Very great experience.

I have been working at BP

Pros

Quick access to gas for my car, nice friendly experience with coworkers.

Cons

Can be busy at times, workload may seem much for some people.

A great place to work!

Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in La Palma, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in La Palma, CA

I worked at BP full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, good work/life balance. All and all a good experience. I would recommend working here.

Cons

Not always good about recognizing the employees as they should.

meh

I have been working at BP

Pros

Good pay for an intern

Cons

Subjective assessment on your performance