BP Reviews

Reset
3.5
BP Group Chief Executive of BP Bob Dudley
Bob Dudley

Pros
  • Excellent Work life balance environment (in 131 reviews)

• This is a very large company with good pay and benefits (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance was difficult at times (in 23 reviews)

• Senior management parks in the underground garage while the working stiffs park outside (in 20 reviews)

1,050 Employee Reviews

1. Great Place to Work - but don't try it unless you are really really good.

Current Employee - Business Advisor - Global Strategy in Warrenville, IL
    Current Employee - Business Advisor - Global Strategy in Warrenville, IL

I have been working at BP

Pros

Overall BP is most interested in the people, then the profits. Personal politics or hidden agendas are not part of the company culture. The various locations and wide range of colleagues is also a great advantage to anyone wanting to advance their global view. The company is also interested in people developing beyond where they currently perform.

Cons

Public impressions of oil companies; it's hard to stand out in a crowd so talented and top-notch; there is little down time due to the high value of our work. Of course there is a certain amount of over-working and struggle to maintain boundaries, but since most managers are working as hard or harder than their team members, it is all relative and managable. BP is always trying to improve and this leads to confusion and "transformation" processes that can be demoralizing and distracting. Sometimes they let good people go and this creates job insecurities. Finally, because there is a predominance of top-talent at BP, it can be hard to be a star.

Advice to Management

Improve communications, both giving and receiving information is important.

BP - from a recent college grad's POV

Current Employee - Commercial Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Commercial Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP

Pros

BP really stresses work, life balance. Employees have to be here at core hours, but other than that, you can get here earlier and leave earlier. Also, 9/80 is great because you get every other Friday off. I also like the managed 3 year challenge program. It gives a college grad really useful information to get a head start here in this huge company.

Cons

Sometimes it takes too long for a project to be done because of the size of the company. Also the training program is not the most put together one. A challenger really has to keep track of everything to be sure that his or her training is on track. BP's size sometimes would make you feel that you are just a number in the crowd.

Advice to Management

Send more challengers abroad.

A very good company, not perfect, but full of potential.

Current Employee - Training in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Training in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP

Pros

Good people. Professional atmosphere. Extremely environmentally and safety minded. BP supervisors treat people fairly. I've not had the best experiences with HR, however. I generally view HR as evil. A lot of us do. BP has great potential. We are at a pivotal period. The next 2 years will be very telling as to whether or not we can become the best, or merely remain a profitable company that continues to stand in the shadow of Shell and Exxon. My hope is on Tony Hayward -- he has a hell of a task in front of him. I wish him the best.

Cons

Pay is a bit low compared to competitors. This is evidenced by a high turn-over rate in the last two years as many BP employees have gone to work for better paying oil companies. We have a new CEO (on the corporate level) -- Tony Hayward. He is in a tough position, as BP stock has been seriously out-performed by Exxon and other competitors. Tony is big on making "every dollar count". This is good, but we've also witnessed some sweeping changes that seem to save money up front, but are costing us down the road. Gain share (VPP) is now a forced ranking system. Every year, ten percent of all BP employees will be sh!t holed and receive absolutely no gain share or cost of living raise. I would love to know the Einstein that came up with this idea. If ten percent of your employees deserve nothing, then get rid of them!!! Don't make them disgruntled by keeping them on but humiliating them. One day, someone will go postal over this stupid policy.

Advice to Management

Stop the knee-jerk reaction. Yes CEO John Browne is gone, yes Tony Hayward is now at the reigns -- but too much change too fast is having some major downsides. Ditch the stupid forced ranking where supervisors are required to select ten percent of their people, rate them (essentially) as losers, humiliate them, give them no reward or annual raise, but them keep them on board where their newly disgruntled attitude spreads like poison. It amazes me that someone in upper management thinks that this is a good idea.

5. My Company is Best

Current Employee - Corrosion Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Corrosion Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP

Pros

It is a large company with good working environment. I am working here since last 2 years and i am very satisfied with what they offered me in these years. You can work with your own way, you dont necessary have to follow the way of your supervisor. Working here helps a lot to improve your personality. I enjoyed a lot and am enjoying what BP offered to me and my family. I am working as corrosion engineer. i really like my job.

Cons

You would stuck in this company for your whole life, as they offer best than any one else could. No other disadvantage.

Advice to Management

Upper managemnet should listen to there employees.

A great place to work.

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP

Pros

Lots of challenges. Excellent training. Lots of career advancement opportunities.

Cons

Bureaucracy of a large company can slow some things down.

Advice to Management

I believe the company should strive to be #1 in every market it is in.

7. Review about BP

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Warrenville, IL
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Warrenville, IL

I have been working at BP

Pros

Limitless potential for career skills building and advancement. They really support growth and provide the ability to better your skills and provide an environment that is very positive and upbeat. They are very flexible when it comes to allowing employees the ability to work in a flexible working environment. In addition they support both professional and personal needs without question.

Cons

Constant state of change and restructuring.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on safety and people as the top priorities and all else will be fine.

BP is a wide open, flat organization.

Current Employee - Trading Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Trading Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BP

Pros

The compensation is in line with the industry, but the learning is where the opportunities really stand out. What I take away from it all on a daily basis has really helped my job growth in the time I've been with the company and hope to continue at my current pace.

Cons

The hours can be long, but the work is rewarding in what Ive been able to take away as lessons learned.

Advice to Management

More structured learning.

9. Great place to work! Great industry to focus to make a diffrence.

Current Employee - Supply Chain Coach/Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Coach/Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP

Pros

Strong commitment to results, people, safety, and making a diffrence in the industry. Great opportunity to drive world class supply management capabilities to match the tremendous technical capability of the company.

Cons

Learning to navigate within a very large company with multiple systems / decision processess, etc.

Advice to Management

Standardize, simplify, create value thru SMART Objectives and value delivery

10. Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Anderson, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Anderson, IN

I have been working at BP

Pros

BP is a great company to work for. They have the cleanest stores I have seen in a gas station company. The advancement is great too. I love everyone's attitudes, including the customers.

Cons

You have to be careful, because it is a high theft area.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job.

11. Ok

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, OH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, OH

I have been working at BP

Pros

No to bad working at bp... dress is casual so it makes life better. free food as well. to many forms.

Cons

very very bad free food, pay is not great, to many middle managers, to little performance reviewing, no expense budget

Advice to Management

none at all... they seem to be doing ok but you can't really go wrong with an oil comany

Showing 1,050 of 1,170 reviews