BP

Updated March 5, 2015
3.6

BP Group Chief Executive of BP Robert Dudley
Robert Dudley

Pros
  • The work environment is fairly relaxed in most cases and the work life balance is decent (in 131 reviews)

• Pay and benefits are top notch for the position that I am in (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Some position will require a lot of commitment, resulting work-life balance problem (in 23 reviews)

• Senior management parks in the underground garage while the working stiffs park outside (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Job performance

Former Employee - HSSE Supervisor in Whiting, IN
    Former Employee - HSSE Supervisor in Whiting, IN

I worked at BP full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay Good benefits paid insurance while on strike

Cons

Too Many changes in thinking and staffing. Gives the impression of flavor of the week. Did not listen to Baker Report rather. doubled down in hopes of quick sale plants before something bad happens.

If given the chance to go back to an Hourly position I would have been a great company advocate because I would have still had a Job verse unemployed

Great company to work for, but they under utilize their engineers

Current Employee - Well Integrity Engineer in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Well Integrity Engineer in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at BP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

BP treats their employees really well and you get to work on a lot of interesting jobs.

Cons

BP under utilizes their engineers. They are so afraid of failing that they can't

Allow your engineers to use their brains to make more common sense decisions.

Progressive Company

Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at BP

Pros

Good salary and benefits, and location.

Cons

Sterile and zombie-like community of workers. It's easy to blend in if you just walk around with an expressionless face and stare straight ahead. Maybe they are all Ai droids.

Organization still struggling and very much in flux after 2010 Gulf of Mexico disaster.

Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer
    Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer

I have been working at BP full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. Excellent compensation and benefits. Strong functional/technical communities of practice. Wide range of opportunities associated with large organization. Excellent acceptance of diverse cultures.

Cons

Poor Leadership, poor ability to define, plan and achieve strong business delivery. Organization has herd mentality, fails to identify key issues and gets lost in details. A small power group controls messages and fails to take advantage of the strength of the organization. Over reliance on official processes over common sense. Over reliance on a global assurance model over local expertise.

Too much power concentrated in local VP's and global assurance authorities. Business would be better served through stronger local accountability provided by functional heads rather than a single VP

Research Associate

I have been working at BP

Pros

Great community of scientists
    Friendly people open to new ideas
    Open to new ideas

Cons

Closing it's doors in 2015 (biofuels)

Working at BP was one very challenging and beneficial experience.

Former Freelancer - Logistics Coordinator in Luanda, Luanda (Angola)
    Former Freelancer - Logistics Coordinator in Luanda, Luanda (Angola)

I worked at BP (more than 10 years)

Pros

I get to interact with many different people from different cultural backgrounds.

Cons

I was working on contract.

Communicate more with Employees. Get to know more about the type of life and difficulties they have outside the working environment.

Terminal Manager

Former Employee - Terminal Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Terminal Manager in New York, NY

I worked at BP full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for,great benefits and company resources. I would recommend BP to anyone lookin for career in the energy industry.

Cons

Huge company with way to many layers and can be difficult to get a decision in a timely manner. Many policies that are not possible to apply in a field environment.

Less layers and policies that actually work in a practice.

Stability in big oil

I have been working at BP

Pros

BP has a lot of assets worldwide. A lot of good people work for them. There is a variety of work so being bored is rarely an issue.

Cons

Global leadership tendencies are toward micro-management of business units. Running scared since Texas City and Gulf incidents. This monolith company can't seem to get out of its own way. I think leadership intentions are good overall, but they just don't know how to be nimble or are too afraid to let the reigns loose.

Learn to give local control back to your business units. One size fits all does not work well.

Mixed- depends on who you work for

I have been working at BP

Pros

Good colleagues, flexible working supported

Cons

Staid, Some managers don't live the values stated by the company

Start exit interviews to held by someone at least two levels above the individual leaving

My experience is that BP is overall a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP

Pros

Good benefits (401k with company matching up to 6%), pension, insurance, educational assistance, training, etc. Some groups have 9/80 work schedule and others may allow for other flexible working schedules.

Cons

As is with large global corporations, there is so much bureaucracy to get things done. Due to inner politics, management sometimes dictate whether a project will "succeed" regardless of what that state of "success" may look like.

Need to consider flattening some corporate hierarchies so that management can look across groups to ensure decisions are made for the good of the company and not to build certain people or groups' singular objective/value - lots of inefficiencies in process (and ultimately cost).