BP Reviews

58 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

Great Values, mid-senior management is poor, no work / life balance, no career growth except for ordained few

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, most employees are dedicated / work hard and a great set of Company Values and goals. Senior management has a good plan that gets lost in the empire building / personal agenda of the middle managers.

Cons

Like many other reviews the middle management is weak and don't live by the Values. There is a back biting style and no work / life balance. Promotions / jobs based on popularity. "High Potential" employee program for select employees leads to these entitled few getting the glory while the rest of the employees actually do the work. Managers who affairs with there subordinates / harass woman / are bullies get promoted instead of fired.

Advice to Management

Clean house at middle management level and drop the "High Potential" entitlement program

Challenging at best....

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and reasonable salaries

Cons

Unethical and controlling leadership and management

Advice to Management

Treat employes right

My experience working for BP

Current Contractor - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place that offer flexible work hours including working remotely.

Cons

This is a very unpleasant place to work for. They do not provide training. It is more like a swim or sink mentality. The department I worked did not not have established policies and procedures that you could refer to. They treat the contractors as “second class citizens” I was never introduced to the department and most co-workers completely ignored me. They do not apply one of their main values, especially the “one team” value. My direct manager worked from home most of the time including my second day of work. She was for the most part unreachable by email or phone calls. I definitely do not recommend working for this company.

Advice to Management

I suggest BP to have a mentor system for new employees that includes also contractors. I recommend training the new employees, not on the skill set they must have to perform the duties of the job, but more on the way, strategies and procedures that BP uses to conduct their business.

Lies, lies lies and more lies.

Former Employee - Operator in Whiting, IN
    Former Employee - Operator in Whiting, IN

I worked at BP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady paycheck that is it.

Cons

The management is full of liars. The company talks safety but, doesn't follow its own polices. The pay for the health risks, safety risks and the lies is not sufficient!

Advice to Management

Do what you say. Stop laying!!

6. Pay & benefits are good but.......

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, benefits, work location are all good. I like the type of work that I get to do.

Cons

But I'm expected to do the work of 3 people which makes work very stressful. I have little time to do any real work because of all the meetings I have to attend.

Advice to Management

Get feedback from workers on work-life balance. Far too many people are too busy to do their jobs well.

7. Cost Analyst

Former Contractor - Cost Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - Cost Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at BP as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

9/80 schedule, gym, some of the benefits, big name, big portfolio.

Cons

Treat employees and contracts like dirt, use them, abuse them and dismiss them with no regards at all. High schoolish mentality of some. Extreme with parking garage rules and recycling to the point that people stress about that. Open cubicles environment very unproductive. Too many contracts almost 75% workforce.

Advice to Management

Stop contracting, it is hurting every time more having contractors. If you invite them to the x-mas party and they participate in your meetings, they are no contractors, they are employees.

Hell on Earth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whiting, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whiting, IN

I worked at BP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only pro is to get a paycheck.

Cons

Backstabbing, lies and unfair treatment

9. Not the same company I joined years ago...

Pros

Great portfolio. Many great people.

Cons

Too much process. Downhill after Macondo.

No value for safety or people

Current Employee - Senior Leader Safety in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Leader Safety in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salaries and benefits are great for an operator. Bonuses good for senior leadership band.

Cons

This company is far from resolving it's cultural issues. The company is full of micro culture, inefficiency, administrative burden and lacks focus. Don't let the money fool you. I expect the company will be purchased once the gulf spill liability is clear. This company hires from the outside but doesn't leverage external talent. HR is especially unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Culture is everything. Bp is far from it's competitors in terms of running a sustainable safe business. Leverage the talent you bring from other companies. Fix culture by sacking more of the old school.

11. It was not a good experience.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Warrenville, IL
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Warrenville, IL

I worked at BP as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, selective coworkers were very nice.

Cons

No documentation for training. Contractors were treated as second class citizens. BP core values are not true. There is no respect, no one team, no excellence. If you are a contractor and spoke up were looked down upon, with the possibility of being fired. If a BP employee showed disrespect to contractors, management encouraged it and ignored alot of it. Certain gossiping employees ruined the work environment and management turned a blind eye. There is no respect whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Management need to show respect all human beings whether a contractor of a full time employee. Management need to address all employees with morning and day greetings to all instead of being selective. How unprofessional is that?

Showing 58 of 1,233 reviews