BP

Very good employer.

Current Employee - Senior Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Technical and patient. Good training and good work culture. Job Security is good as well.

Cons

Bureaucratic and loads, I mean loads of paper work that doesn't bring any value.

It has its ups and downs, but overall a good place to work.

Current Employee - Superintendent
    Current Employee - Superintendent

I have been working at BP full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been at BP over ten years now. As a long term employee, I have my share of petty gripes about the company. But overall I can't complain. I believe the company genuinely cares about it's employees, the pay and benefits are excellent, and the work-life balance is good. And the people I work with are great.

Cons

In some areas of the business there are still good 'ol boys networks, but it seems like the company is working hard to dismantle them. Unfortunately there are still some mid-level and higher people who are only in their roles because of their network. Sometimes personnel policies can be pushed aside for convenience. For example, even though most roles are supposed to be posted and competitive - and employees are expected to be in a role for at least two years - some employees (one's who are deemed to to be "special" by management) are given the role through "facilitated moves" and the two year rule is ignored. For the rest of us mere mortals, we just have to suck it up. It's not a widespread issue, but it can cause some discontent when someone is given a plum assignment over many other equally qualified people who weren't even given a chance to apply and interview.

One other con is that the company is continuously reorganizing. In the last ten years I've lost track of the number of reorgs. Every time new senior management comes in it seems that the old organization is ineffective and needs to be replaced. It's happening again as I write this.

Apply your resourcing policies consistently. Stop the reorgs. It's not the organization of the company that's an issue, it's the way you choose to operate within an organization. Just shuffling people around doesn't fix anything.

held numerous positions, every team I worked with was professional , supportive and friendly, would return again

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Representative in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Representative in Naperville, IL

I worked at BP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

professional environment; 9/80 work weeks; terrific benefits; bonuses; career planning and advancement available and encouraged at all levels

Cons

none, BP is a fantastic company to work for as is evident by the long tenure of its employees. the length of tenure does not prohibit career growth

Exciting opportunities

I worked at BP

Pros

Want to send new guys out to sites, learn quickly. Within a week was heading out to meetings about an upcoming project, was on site within 3 weeks of joining

Cons

Not sure what to do with new guys in the office. The courses you have to do as part of the development are lengthy, dull and frankly pointless.

Crappy pay for long hours

Current Employee - Cashier in Albert Lea, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Albert Lea, MN

I have been working at BP part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Long shifts, some nice people, somewhat flexible.

Cons

Poor pay, shifts interfered with school, maintenance not up to par.

Care about your employees, manage your gas stations better.

not enough internal promotions

I have been working at BP full-time

Pros

good people, good teams, global perspectives on energy

Cons

if your not a brit, you wont move up.. much..

employee for more than 10 years

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefit, 401k, 7% match-up, annual cash bonus, training opportunities, pension plan, 9/80, work from home, diversified workforce, gym in the office.

Cons

Politics, too many processes, undecisive management, no clear vision as result of Horizon incident, many re-orgs.

Company needs to own its process rather reply on consultants. Follow process if it is good otherwise improve process.

really bad place to work

Current Intern - IST in Houston, TX
    Current Intern - IST in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Pay is pretty decent. Environment is fast paced.

Cons

really awful people. time isn't spent on interns. macondo.

Challenging projects, talented co-workers, great company culture.

Former Intern - Intern in Anchorage, AK
    Former Intern - Intern in Anchorage, AK

I worked at BP as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

As an intern I was given projects that had real business impact and pushed my skills. All of my co-workers were extremely friendly, helpful, and willing to lend a hand in any way they could. As an intern you get amazing benefits (including 401K match, healthcare, 9/80 schedule, full repo and housing etc) and great training (lunch & learns, weekly executive phone calls, & relevant functional training for project).

Cons

Communication between corporate and regional areas could be improved.

Be more transparent and enthusiastic about BP's employee value proposition to potential employees. Many interns didn't realize the how great their benefit packages were.

Room to grow & lots of training to help

I have been working at BP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are copious amounts of training to help you achieve your profesional goals and the managers are supportive in allowing you time to train, even outside of your current responsibilities.

Cons

The managers do not have much ability to adjust compensation after the initial hire. All increases are "market based" & are basicly cost of living.