BRMi Reviews

4.7

BRMi President Mike Battle
Mike Battle

BEST company I have ever worked for.

I have been working at BRMi full-time for more than a year

Pros

Feels like a big family, management is always there if there is an issue. I have worked for a lot of consulting firms and they all consider their employees to be just a number to fill a spot. It is great that BRMi takes extra steps to ensure we are all happy. I could go on and on but to keep it short - this is the best company to work for from my experience and it has been a pleasure to be a part of such a wonderful group.

Cons

There are no downsides pertaining to BRMi however, it is tough being a contractor and supporting the government because the contract change or something else happens to the point we cannot do our work as normal.

BRMi - Great Developing Ground for the Inexperienced; Avoid if You are Experienced

Former Employee - Director  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at BRMi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Developed Junior Staff; Young and Vibrant Happy Hours, Events, and Team building; Good pay; Good Benefits; Good HR.

Cons

Lack of respect and focus among senior management; desire to sustain those in positions rather than to hire out when necessary to augment skills and knowledge gaps. Senior Management will hire a more senior person to support a poorly performing VP if they feel the VP will be improved -- but there's no reciprocal concern for the senior that was hired. They are used like a pencil and discarded.

Don't hire senior staff to "teach" VPs and expect them to remain. Better to tell them upfront and then let them consult for the term needed and specifically for the deficiencies observed.

Smaller company = More meaningful experience

I have been working at BRMi full-time

Pros

Since BRMi is a smaller consulting firm, employees get to work on a variety of tasks rather than become pigeonholed in a specific area.
    Management is always willing to support you if help is needed and employees are quite friendly.
    It's a very team oriented atmosphere. Co-workers will work together to deliver the best possible product for the client.

Cons

Since it's consulting, most employees tend to work on-site which minimizes the amount of contact outside of your team with other BRMi employees. This is somewhat remedied by social events such as happy hours.

Keep up your employee awareness. It helps sustain morale.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at BRMi full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Invests in their employees through tech stipends and education stipends, and encourages employees to pursue certifications that would be advantageous in their career
    - Encourages company team building and career growth through mentorship programs, softball games, and the occasional happy hour
    - Employees are very motivated and go above and beyond to build the company by participating in activities such as recruiting, social media efforts, and website design

Cons

- Relatively small company, therefore, moving on to other contracts may be difficult

- Keep up the good work

One of the best companies I've worked for

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at BRMi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Collaborative spirit across the firm and from senior leaders to the most junior staff
    - Supportive and driven culture that strives to achieve the best results for our clients
    - Transparency, transparency, transparency. This is a hard one for companies to pull off and BRMi does it admirably well.

Cons

- Still a young and rapidly growing firm so there are growing pains within corporate infrastructure but leadership is investing to make it better
    - Connectivity for onsite staff across the firm could be better

Keep listening to the staff and providing the nurturing environment for successful growth.

Great company and great people

I have been working at BRMi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Senior leadership is very supportive and willing to work with employees to promote career growth and personal development
    -Employees are very active about organizing non-work related activities
    -Collaborative nature of the company helps support employees on client site and with internal work
    -Small firm allows involvement in all aspects of growth within the company

Cons

-Because most employees work on-site, it can be difficult to meet employees not part of your own contract

All the positive advantages of a smaller company with the drive and capabilities of a much larger company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at BRMi full-time for more than a year

Pros

Came to work at BRMi after working for large, well-known consulting firms, yet extremely glad I did.

- Great mix of many exceptional employees, from top to bottom.
    - The executive staff and senior management are approachable and have great insight, steaming from a diverse and reputable experience pool.
    - Good mixture of staff experience and expertise.
    - Employee growth is positively practiced through a focus towards continued employee development and providing multiple forms of training opportunities.
    - Culturally, a much more open and unpretentious environment than any other company I’ve worked for, with a free flow of discussion by and towards all employees.

Cons

Even for a small company not all personnel interacts regularly with each other, which may cause siloing as BRMi grows into a more mature, larger company.

Growing company with opportunities for growth

I have been working at BRMi full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Senior leadership is engaged with employees at all levels
    - Company invests in employee training to enable everyone to pursue advanced education of interest
    - BRMi promotes an entrepreneurial mindset so success and growth depends on the employees commitment to the company and level of effort
    - Mixture of youth and experienced professionals results in a unique and active culture

Cons

- Small number of clients makes mobility within the company more difficult than you might find at a bigger consulting firm

Avoid BRMi, look elsewhere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at BRMi full-time

Pros

-Mike Battle cares very genuinely about each and every employee. However, as we all know, it is impossible for a CEO to ensure that people are taken care of by their managers.

-They compensate equitably for a DC firm, based on the work being done and level of experience.

Cons

-If you don't consume alcohol like your life depends on it, you will be bullied and demeaned on a regular basis. No joke - it's like bad-college-movie peer pressure, but from people in their 30s and 40s.

-They don't have a vision for differentiating themselves as a firm. Their strategic plan simply consists of writing as many proposals and winning as many contracts as possible.

-They pile twice to three times as many people as are actually needed to work on a particular project. Very inefficient use of internal resources, as well as contract dollars.

-What the other reviewer said about line managers having "absolute say," is absolutely true. You will get your hand "slapped" for making suggestions for improvement and/or attempting to innovate. In other words, if they hire you as a consultant, don't plan on consulting.

I spoke to a well-known DC staffing and recruiting guy last week, and he told me that he has received a number of resumes from people who have either left, or are in the process of leaving the company - and he gave the same reasons I've given above re: employee dissatisfaction.

Great place to build a consulting career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at BRMi full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leadership is very hands-on and they take the time to know all employees. They make a great effort to help mentor and guide your career.
    It is a quickly-growing small company, so employees are able to get involved with all aspects of the company and help to build and shape it.
    The company encourages involvement in the community and looks to sponsor outside activities that employees are passionate about.

Cons

While the company is starting to expand into many different areas, project opportunities are not as diverse as you would find with a larger firm.

Worked for BRMi? Contribute to the Community!